Author Topic: project.rax rebirth [Demo released]  (Read 7612 times)

koon no kami

• Tier 4
  • ya rly!
project.rax rebirth [Demo released]
« on: December 12, 2011, 07:08:53 AM »
  *cough cough*

Allright guys, just introducing the remake of good ol' Ataraxia - in a fresh and new manner, this time with ALL original custom graphics and different gameplay / story and setting. For those of you who don't remember "Ataraxia" is the name of the world it's set in and - it's still the same world, but this time the game is heavily story driven.
It is linear and consists of 10 "Acts", while the player still has the opportunity to make slight changes in the storyline by multiple choice answers and secret / hidden quests... the story can also change depending in their trained abilities.

I'll be using this a little bit as a blog for my progress since... I don't really wanna start an actual blog.. XD

The reason...
Spoiler: show
I have decided to build this remake is actually, because I simply want to test my graphics. I have a bigger much bigger project with them in mind but I needed a testing ground first. So I thought, why not making a small game...?
My sprites, my tilesets, I need to see how they harmonize, what needs further improvement, how the animations look in-game etc.

Soo... specifications:

system. RMXP
scripts. 1 custom script (thanks Aota)
features. full animated sideview battle, all custom SE /BGS, all custom BGM (for now RO and SaGa bgm as placeholder, love ) storydriven, custom presentation/setup, alignment system, special rage attack (or so, still working on that one) special custom skill learning system for some characters. multiple storylines, multiple choice, 10 playable characters, 60 full animated custom monsters you see running around ON the map instead of random encounters, ALL custom graphics. there is-not-1 bit of visual, that wasn't made by me in hours and hours of spriting.

Short review of the world:

The World of Ataraxia is featuring 12 different fantasy races with their own traits and virtues. The races' cultural concepts are losely based on cultural backgrounds of actual medieval civilasations such as ancient China, feudal Japan or cultures in Europe. However Ataraxia's setting obviously is not an authentic medieval one. It is a world of monsters, magic and mystery. Religion plays an important role but also nobility. The political and cultural backgrounds of Ataraxia's races and realms are explained in detail when you look up for the information.

Theoretically For each character there are 5 of 20 "jobs" to chose from - to put together in any free combination.
(the jobs represent the classes)
Or alternatively, 1 of 5 available avocations, which mainly include crafting skills.

In the RMXP version however this will be handled a little differently. Only the main character will be able to chose 5 of 20 jobs, the other characters already have set job skills. However all/many characters might be able to decide on which job skill to improve. ( There will be only a limited ammount of improvement resources in the game, so you can never have ALL the skills on best level. ) 

Thanks for reading everyone and I will appreciate your constructive feedback, interest and help.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:00:21 PM by Raxie Pie »
nyanyanya~!

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Re: project.rax rebirth
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:13:50 AM »
Looks nice. Post a demo or something ^^
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

koon no kami

• Tier 4
  • ya rly!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:13:16 AM »
Can do, Lance. After all " Act I " is already finished. 
I am going to prepare and upload that demo later...

What I don't like about the project so far is that my custom tile-sets are terribly random and unorganized.
But I have already started building maps with them so I can't change it anymore. It can't be helped I'm afraid - so frustrating...

Also that the custom script doesn't allow some of the states / skills. For example, the "confusion" state cannot be used ( causes a grave bug ) and some others may cause the game to shutdown.

But I will still continue working with it. ^^'

nyanyanya~!

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:24:10 PM »
Woah...

I came here for the "Rax" in the title, stayed for the cool custom graphics.

koon no kami

• Tier 4
  • ya rly!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 05:03:20 PM »
Ohh... uh why thank you, Raxie Pie... ^^

Hmm okay well let's check out --
no RTP needed btw... you're free to play as far as you get but - many events are still pretty rough and sketchy i think... I didn't add a real opening yet either. . .

But still you can post about bugs or errors or things that seem off. : )
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:33:36 AM by koon no kami »
nyanyanya~!

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 05:07:43 PM »
Woah...

I came here for the "Rax" in the title, stayed for the cool custom graphics.

This. I thought Rax was up to no good. Turns out you're up to very good.

koon no kami

• Tier 4
  • ya rly!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 02:03:26 AM »
Thanks Merlandese!

Hmm~ today I want to talk about the characters we encounter in the game.

The main actors, to be precise- ( colored = not sure if the name is any good / may be changed )

Huldbrand Von Ringstaetten
Race: Human
Hight: 181 cm

Son of impoverished nobility, who makes a living mainly by working as a mercenary.
He joined the guild at age 14, which is considered a little early even on Ataraxia.
(Most people join guilds at age 16+)
Raised at a monastery from early age, he doesn't remember all too much from his parents.

Undine ( - )
Race: Welf ( Aquarian )
Hight: 128 cm

A young girl of the rarely known Welfen tribe, that is said to exist
somewhere in the ocean.
She has appeared before the old fishermen couple when she was
still a young child (4). The exact reasons and backgrounds remained unknown...
She has an elder brother that also seems to 'stalk' her on a regular base.
Unfortunately she has a very jumpy and extremely childish personality, which
might be because of her young age but also because of her origins.

[ Picture will be added later ] Princess Berthalda  (or Elizabeth II) Von Tarant
Race: Half Angelic
Hight: 134 cm
Hair: Goldenbrown
Eyes: Brown

A young princess with a rather arrogant and priggish personality.
She appears to be very self-centered and proud.
Her parents the King and Queen died when she was only 6 years old.
Since then, the canceller took over the royal duties.
She herself isn't really doing very much other than enjoying herself.

Little does she know that she should learn about her responsibility
as a 'Gate Keeper' at age 14, but since her parents are dead, the
canceller feels no urge to introduce her to that duty...

The old couple
Race: Half Dwarf, Angelic
Hight: 135 cm, 167 cm

An elderly fisherman and his wife, who live together on a small island on the lake.
They are very down-to-earth but friendly and hospitable. They grant Huldbrand shelter
when he escapes from the forest.
About 10 years ago the couple lost their real child by an accident but were lucky they
could adopt Undine, even if it was through strange concurrence.

Lord Kuhleborn (-)
Race: Welf ( Aquarian )
Hight: 188 cm

This long haired, tall man is closely related to Undine.
He seems to be well known and feared in the Nebelforst
that surrounds the lake, and might be acting as some kind of guardian.
Kuhleborn appears to be a little presumptuous and likes to talk down
to other people given the chance.

Canceller Edgar Whitefeather (-)
Race: Halfelf
Hight: 179 cm

A man who is known to be very eligible but also target-oriented and ruthless if needed.
He was always interested in the secret and forbidden writings about the legendary city of glass and steel.
He has a vast collection of such books, scripts and documentations - mostly confiscated from libraries and black markets. He spends most of his his free time with research about evidence of that city,
just like decades before one of his predecessors (Georgiel De Sang ).

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:45:44 AM by koon no kami »
nyanyanya~!

koon no kami

• Tier 4
  • ya rly!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 07:02:52 AM »
I was wondering - when introducing characters / character concepts; how much information is 'too much' information?
Is it considered a spoiler when every detail about the character's origin is explained in the character description?
Or is it considered not enough info, if only the rough basic info is written down?
nyanyanya~!

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 02:10:14 PM »
I love that first sprite of the main character! It's so quirky. Did you really make all of those? They're so fantastic!

I personally think you have just a bit too much info up there. I like info, but at the moment it creates too heavy a block of text and is kind of a turn-off. Furthermore, I can tell certain things about the characters from their picture (such as Hulbrand's hair color), so making a detail about easily-known facts just adds more daunting text.

I suggest giving the name and a basic sentence along with the picture right now. Then you can start slowly posting, one-by-one, the full details of each character as you progress in the game's creation. Is this good advice? I have no clue, but it's what I suggest. :p

Avarlie

• Tier 6
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 12:30:38 AM »
Hey nice graphics and art. What is the story about?

koon no kami

• Tier 4
  • ya rly!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 12:23:40 PM »
Okay thanks for the advice everyone : )

Well surely since it's going to be a story-driven game it is interesting to know what the story will be about....

Although I mixed in a few aspects and names of one of my most favorite of legends, the main storyline is mostly original.

It is set in a world where Magic usually was a very common everyday tool for anyone who studied it.
And study - no matter of magic or other areas of expertise - was free for everybody.
However, that changed when recent studies discovered, that newer generations of people had less mana to control. In other words, it seemed like there was either less mana or the ability to charge mana was lost with time. Some nobles suggested to use less mana and from then on, only few selected people were allowed to go to magic academies, with a "Blank Contract" and rare "Contract Coins". Before long, academies of other professions also adapted that system, to recruit only the best and most wealthy...
At the same time, some frightened people long for a new kind of energy source since they are afraid that mana would disappear completely.
However, there already was a very similar crisis only a few generations ago... but the result / solution never became public.

This story is about a young man who meets an unusual young girl and - after some traveling gets pulled in a maelstrom of fateful events that force him to deal with an ancient force related to a new energy source...

However actually there are 3 different story threads of different characters, that eventually meet.
nyanyanya~!

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »

Jiggly!  O_O

koon no kami

• Tier 4
  • ya rly!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 02:19:58 PM »
@ Raxie Pie >  *lol* come on, man.... XD srsly...

There's but there's also ...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:45:29 PM by Raxie Pie »
nyanyanya~!

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 11:45:02 PM »
Wow... That's...questionable. O_O (I spoiled them because of the first's nudity. :-X Even though it's pixels... Just in case.)

koon no kami

• Tier 4
  • ya rly!
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 08:41:57 AM »
You could say, when it comes to nude monsters, I'm stuck on ragnarokonline's trails... XD they were my rolemodels... - pixel poets.
nyanyanya~!