Author Topic: (Edit: EWQL arrived, woo) A general update post!~  (Read 4656 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
(Edit: EWQL arrived, woo) A general update post!~
« on: July 15, 2008, 12:41:09 AM »
Hey guys!

As some of you might have noticed, I've been relatively quiet on this forum (and else where online too) lately. That would be because I've been working 8 hours a day + 1.5 hours of drive a day, 5 days a week for a game dev company as a sound designer/composer, and it's been taking a huge toll on my free time. So much for summer vacation. ._.

Needless to say that it is beginning to cut into my available time to work on Quintessence considerably. And that is simply not acceptable! :P The work's fun and all, but from next week, I'll request to work only 3 days a week instead of 5 (I'm sure the boss will be fine with it, since most of the projects are completed anyhow). That way, I'll be able to hop back onto the merry train and get this thing done.  :reivsmile:

And lastly, just a note on the next release of the game - At the moment, chapter 9 itself is about 80% done. However, a lot of the work this time goes into the revamping of the earlier chapters, such as insertion of game-play, overall improvements, etc. You can find out more about that in detail in the Technical board, such as the new Korbin Village. (http://www.freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=343.0)

Once the new package is complete, I will be doing an announcement-PM to registered members here, as well as release Quintessence to a few fairly populated communities that I've been holding out on, which would (hopefully) bring in some good traffic to here. In the mean time though, I'll try to focus on finishing up the actual game.

For now, thanks to everyone for still checking in! ;) Your interest is one of my most driving inspirations, and I truly appreciate everyone's visit and participation.

:pewpewpew:
(^Out of style already? Not from me! c: )
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:09:58 AM by Question Mark? »

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
Re: A general update post!~
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 01:26:46 AM »
Good, good news. It hasn't even been that long since Chapter 7-8. I can hold out a while longer, especially with all the revamping, I'm so gonna play the whole thing over again. When it's done.

Btw, any more of those pictures? Like the Reivier playing the ocarina (not a potato)?

Personally, I prefer:

:KPHH:
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 04:14:22 PM »
Uh oh, I'd better make the revamp worth it, then. :p So far it is mainly directed at the first two chapters, which need it the most.

I've been holding out on the pictures recently due to the lack of time. Originally there is also supposed to be one for Lunair (which I think Rye can still do the outline for me), but now with the game at top priority, it's being delayed. I am rethinking the pictures' uses; I think it's best to be used via cut-scenes or in the ending music video, as opposed to adding to the new opening MV.

Mm, still have some time to decide on that, though.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:41:47 PM »
Can't wait to see all your updates. I want an excuse to play though Quintessence again  ;)

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:52:34 PM »
Uh oh, I'd better make the revamp worth it, then. :p So far it is mainly directed at the first two chapters, which need it the most.

In that case, I'll REALLY try and get the chapter 2 typos up shortly.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 10:12:28 PM »
Heheh, that'd surely help. I'm also redoing lots of the dialogues as I'm going through them, since I realized that a lot of them are rather rough and is rather draggy for normal conversations.

By the way, talked to the boss today, and it's done - only 3 days a week starting from next week! c:

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 11:39:02 PM »
GREAT. I was feeling too lazy to point out the lack of flow often seen in the dialog of quintessence (such as "Can you not see that this is not the place for you to ask questions"). I'm glad you have more time to work on this brilliant game, I can't wait until it's revamped, with more added to it. If you improve the entire game as drastically as the prologue AND add more gameplay, this will be the greatest RPG ever  :o

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 11:37:42 PM »
Hah, well. :p
Today I sorted through some more dialogues, as well as remade the cosmetic fogs for Chapter 2 scenes (Aeria Central buildings) as well as Gaurav Town. Looking at the old cosmetic lightings, it's just so ugly compared to the new standard. D: I think I might have to redo the cosmetic fogs for every existing old ones. (It's more than halfway done already though, since I finished Gaurav, Chap 2, Korbin and etc. today). Will post some comparisons later.

Oh, I've also bought a huge wide-screen monitor today! It was an absolutely heavenly switch from my puny laptop default monitor. Now my resolution's set to 1680*1050 or so, and it's insane; I can see like half of the Korbin Village map (60*55 size) in the RM monitor at once. This'll make things so much more convenient.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 11:54:27 PM »
Now my resolution's set to 1680*1050 or so, and it's insane; I can see like half of the Korbin Village map (60*55 size) in the RM monitor at once. This'll make things so much more convenient.

That sounds so much better. I used the RPG maker demo, and it did frustrate me that I couldn't see the whole map, so I just made little puny ones. It must be nice to see the overall effect and all that.

Koppos

• Tier 3
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 12:20:58 AM »
haha I use 1600 by 1200. I remember when I first switched too, it was just awesome

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Yeah, a bigger screen saves loads of time. Not to mention that since I connect to it with a laptop, the laptop's default screen can be used as an extension screen, so there are 2 screens! c:

I am now working 3 days a week now, so there's a lot more time on my hands - I've already made some good leaps for chapter 9; 85% completed now. Univ begins on Sept 3rd in a bit over a month from now, but this semesters' classes are rather light. I managed to schedule my classes in such a way that I have the entire Friday off each week (resulting in a crammed Tuesday, but still).

Zivilist

• Tier 2
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 06:57:39 AM »
So 85% means, we can expect chapter 9 to be released before univ starts?
/hope = on
Greetings from Germany
(If you find any mistakes in my posts, I'd appreciate it to have them reported to me, as I am eager to improve my English skills.)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 10:01:45 PM »
I'd hope so, and will certainly try to aim for it - can never be too sure, though. While the chapter's almost done, there are still a lot of things needed to be done for the earlier chapters, so that might take a bit. But I'd say that before September is certainly possible.  :kardiansmile:

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
EWQL arrived
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 10:34:33 PM »
Okay, this morning I finally received a bunch of things from EWQL as well as a headphone and a sound card, so I've been playing around with those for today. Am still in the process of getting the stuff set up, but so far I can say that they are seriously awesome.

The down side is that it's rather complicated compare to the old composing tactics, though. There are like 10 million of each instruments (style) to choose from and need to adjust around to get the right sounds. None the less, it is amazing.

I'll be heading out tomorrow afternoon on a short trip though, will be back later that night. But I'll try to write something with EWQL sounds as a demo ASAP.  :vikonsmile:

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
Re: (Edit: EWQL arrived, woo) A general update post!~
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »
I'll try to fix something up today. But note that it seems like it would take a while to get used to how it works, so the results are not going to show the potential of it. Should be neat either way though.