Author Topic: The Chronology Disscustion  (Read 9342 times)

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
  • Current Mood: happy happy
The Chronology Disscustion
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »
Ok, so this has been on my mind since I played the game and just now while in the shower(where all good ideas happen) I decided to punch this out, ok so this is to determine time periods and the like, this theory will make some big assumptions.

So this whole idea of placing the time period came to me because of the Animorphs, this series ran from 1996 to 2001 which mean that Johnny/Joey couldn't have been born before 1984(12 years before 1996) as elementary school usually ends before/when someone turns 12. I am assuming that they read it while it was still in print and not later(I don't have a save readily available to go reread the convo about it that they had but this assumption that the series was read while in print limits the birth years to from 1984(I view this early as unlikely) to 1989(I also view this late as unlikely) using the assumption that he may have stopped buying new Animorphs books after Joey died, I would use the date of the David books which came out in August and September of 1998 as a milestone saying that Joey had died maybe the end of August 1998 while the fair where he met River was maybe July or even August of that year, working on the assumption that they were going into Grade 6 that year I would place them as 11 then so a birth year of 1987.

Ok that's all I have right now, what do you think, am I completely off base?
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
Re: The Chronology Disscustion
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
I think that's some solid inductive reasoning. What else do we have to date it?

We have Neil's MP8 conversion comment.

Assuming the Johnny was twice Eva and Neil's age, their pop-culture references could be used as well. But I'd say that they gave the impression of people in our (roughly) generation, using FPS and Dragon Ball lingo. But, if Johnny was born in the '80s, Eva and Neil are probably being born right about now.

Judedeath

• Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »
You need to remember that if they are being born around now(what I thought too) you need to remember that now FPS is a huge giant genre of games that I doubt will go away in 6/7 years till they hit school and start making friends that play it or even being the friends that play it. Also you need to remember the internet doesn't let things die, DBZ may not be as big as back in the day but with Meme's like Over 9000 and other stuff it's perfectly reasonable to assume he was exposed by that, also Capcom doesn't let it's fighting games dies so there's that to explain the Street Fighter reference.
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »
A few note on a few of the pop culture references:

Doctor Who -- it's been here for decades and likely will stay for a long time to come
Lorenzo von Matterhorn -- exists through all of time and space

That's all.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 03:47:20 PM »
And I think Neil mentioned that he went stargazing with his grandpa. It's safe to assume that pollution will cover our entire view of the stars within the next 10 years, so he must have been born around now.

But, also, this assumes the world doesn't end in roughly a year, which we all know it will. So any game projected after 2012 is automatically hopeful nonsense. That settles it; this game doesn't make sense. :p

Judedeath

• Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 04:58:53 PM »
It's obviously in a different timeline kinda like 2001

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:21:58 PM »
It's obviously in a different timeline kinda like 2001

+1 Like.

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 05:39:37 AM »
But, also, this assumes the world doesn't end in roughly a year, which we all know it will. So any game projected after 2012 is automatically hopeful nonsense. That settles it; this game doesn't make sense. :p
Welcome to the Mayans, Merlan XD
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 11:27:43 AM »
Let's believe the Mayans when they say the world is gonna end. I mean, it's not like they believed that you had to kill people to make their gods happy. Perfectly reasonable and scientifically grounded people that I could trust in that they had the calculations for the end of the world.

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »
Or they just stopped cause the future finally seemed too outrageous for them. :DDD
Check out my art stuff! :D http://niorichi-art.tumblr.com/

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 12:49:59 PM »
I mean, it's not like they believed that you had to kill people to make their gods happy.

In all fairness, most if not all major religions have or have had roots in sacrifice (mostly animal) towards deity appeasement at some point in history. Even Jesus was a human sacrifice in the essence of the practice, though he played both the part of the victim and the priest (John Locke disagrees). I think the Mayans just got lazy. "2012 is far enough, and the calendar looks pretty. Your job is done here, calendar-maker. Now be sacrificed!" o:

NEvaWHO

• Tier 2
  • "Welcome To My Own Little World Of Psychosis!"
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 12:04:15 AM »
Ok, so this has been on my mind since I played the game and just now while in the shower(where all good ideas happen) I decided to punch this out, ok so this is to determine time periods and the like, this theory will make some big assumptions.

So this whole idea of placing the time period came to me because of the Animorphs, this series ran from 1996 to 2001 which mean that Johnny/Joey couldn't have been born before 1984(12 years before 1996) as elementary school usually ends before/when someone turns 12. I am assuming that they read it while it was still in print and not later(I don't have a save readily available to go reread the convo about it that they had but this assumption that the series was read while in print limits the birth years to from 1984(I view this early as unlikely) to 1989(I also view this late as unlikely) using the assumption that he may have stopped buying new Animorphs books after Joey died, I would use the date of the David books which came out in August and September of 1998 as a milestone saying that Joey had died maybe the end of August 1998 while the fair where he met River was maybe July or even August of that year, working on the assumption that they were going into Grade 6 that year I would place them as 11 then so a birth year of 1987.

Joey Prob. Died End Of Aug. 1998?

(Awk-waaard!)
Spoiler: show
(My B'Day's 8/31/'98.)
"When This World Is No More, The Moon Is All We'll See, And I'll Ask You To Fly Away With Me, And When The Stars All Fall Down, They Empty From The Sky, I Don't Mind. If You're With Me, Than Everything's Alright."

sushia11

• Tier 2
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 12:18:42 AM »
Ha. I love how we're reviving this thread after like forever. Let's get things back up and running shall we?

Actually, I wonder if we might find out some information on Neil and Eva through a patient's memories. Now that I think about it, it sounds like a fantastic idea to introduce new information. Any thoughts? How would this be implemented, and the like?

Sanicgottafeelfast

• Tier 3
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 11:47:42 AM »
Ya know I was always wondering about this and figured if we knew what scale the stages in Johnnys life represented we could figure it out. Also neils comment on "So do you think last centuries moon landings were-" confirmed for me that it was in 20xx probably 2040 since Johnny looks to be about 60-70.
"I'm the sanest person I know"

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
Ya know I was always wondering about this and figured if we knew what scale the stages in Johnnys life represented we could figure it out. Also neils comment on "So do you think last centuries moon landings were-" confirmed for me that it was in 20xx probably 2040 since Johnny looks to be about 60-70.

If he was born in 1990 by the latest and his age is 90, that would make it 2080...