Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Sampletank?  (Read 1419 times)

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
Anyone know anything about Sampletank?
« on: July 12, 2008, 01:14:51 PM »
I'm looking into buying a program and FINALLY being rid of gross MIDI!

Right now I'm trying to decide between GPO and Sampletank. If I went with GPO I'd get the orchestra and the Jazz and Big Band so I could get some guitar sounds, and that makes the prices of the two options comparable. My impression is that GPO has somewhat better sounds than Sampletank, but Sampletank has such a HUGE library of sounds it's kinda hard to pass up, plus I got to use the free trial and already know it works with the program I have, and I'm not as sure about GPO. (And GPO doesn't do refunds, though I'm not sure whether Sampletank does.)
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Anyone know anything about Sampletank?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 03:05:17 PM »
Hm, I haven't heard of Sampletank myself. Did a search on http://www.youngcomposers.com/ and only found one mention of it on the forum. The drawback of GPO is that its instruments are limited, though; mainly just orchestral ones. If your program supports VSTi, it will support GPO.

What composing program do you use?

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 12:46:18 AM »
I find that kind of surprising. I guess the only reason I know about Sampletank is because I got a demo with MAGIX MIDI Studio (The program I use bleh!) But I found some videos on Youtube, and it really seems like a useful program, and most of the sounds I've tried are pretty good! If I got the GPO programs, it would have most of the sounds I would use, but every once in a while it would be fun to pull out an ethnic instrument or a super synthetic sounding thing!

EDIT: I went ahead and bought Sampletank. I'll probably have something posted shortly to give you an idea how it sounds!
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:18:46 PM »
Ooh, cool. I'm curious to what it sounds like too. Don't forget to try to include some ethnic and perhaps synths in it, if possible! c: