Author Topic: No cursor  (Read 3982 times)

Ashok0

• Tier 2
No cursor
« on: November 20, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
Hi,

Downloaded the demo and installed it in Windows 7 64-bit, but I get no mouse cursor in game.  If I hit ESC the cursor shows up in the menu, but if I go back in-game, the cursor vanishes.  I tried updating DirectX and adding To The Moon to DEP but no success.  :(

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: No cursor
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 01:50:19 PM »
Heya Ash. Hm, that's strange. . . I haven't seen that happen before, so I don't know of an instant solution at the moment. But to get around it for now, the game can be played fully via keyboard (which many people opts to do even given the choice).

The controls are:
Move - Arrow keys
Interact/confirm - Enter/Space/C
Menu/cancel - Esc

Hope that gets you by for the time being! Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ashok0

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 06:06:44 PM »
Hmmz...  no dice, alas keyboard commands don't work either.  It's weird, when I launch the game, I temporarily have a cursor but it vanishes a few seconds after the "Begin, Load, Exit" screen appears.  If I quickly click "Begin" I can get in-game and the keyboard and mouse then no longer function, but the mouse comes back if I hit ESC and return to the menu.  When I quit the game, a popup Reminder appears in "Windows 7" showing how many minutes I have left for the demo, and bizarrely my mouse cursor in Windows vanishes if I try to move the pointer inside the Reminder box.  :(

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:08:36 PM by Ashok0 »

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 06:51:12 PM »
Hm, just shooting blanks here, but have you tried running the To the Moon.exe "as admin"?

Perhaps one of the suggestions by Jimmy on this thread would help: http://forum.soft32.com/windows/cursor-HELP-ftopict345925.html

Ashok0

• Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 08:55:38 PM »
Yeah I tried running as admin, changing video card drivers, enabling compatibility mode, updating DirectX, disabling antivirus, switching resolutions and color quality, etc.  Nothing works.  I finally ended up downloading VMware and installed Windows XP in a virtual machine, and the game actually works.  Kind of a hackish workaround though, I'd rather play the game natively in Windows 7 but it does run, and from what I've played the game is quite fantastic.  :)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 03:10:54 AM »
Whew! At least you got it working. But that's a lot of trouble you put into it! O.o

Malvodion

• YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE ME!!
  • Tier 7
  • I'm an engineer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 09:59:05 PM »
Yeah I tried running as admin, changing video card drivers, enabling compatibility mode, updating DirectX, disabling antivirus, switching resolutions and color quality, etc.  Nothing works.  I finally ended up downloading VMware and installed Windows XP in a virtual machine, and the game actually works.  Kind of a hackish workaround though, I'd rather play the game natively in Windows 7 but it does run, and from what I've played the game is quite fantastic.  :)

Weird. I have windows 7 and the mouse works for me.

Zerothe

• Tier 1
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 04:59:44 AM »
Same here with the cursor. It is a pop up saying a reminder about the sountrack and facebook, twitter etc. I tried moving the pop up out of the way and re-entering the game but another one comes up. I have a pop up blocker and I checked my video card drivers as well.  Tried to play it with keyboard controls but the characters are on the left side of the screen almost off of it and they move slightly up and down like they are stuck. Tried playing it in windowed mode but the pop up always appears right behind it and is the same size as the windowed screen.