Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
DRM
« on: November 03, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »
I'm looking through the comments at the review on RockPaperShotgun, and there's some talk about how bad it is that To The Moon doesn't (or.. does? not sure) have DRM font or something? What does that mean? :o

INCyr

• Tier 2
Re: DRM
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 12:49:52 PM »
Don't worry about those comments.  Most of that comment thread is sarcasm.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 01:01:51 PM »
I saw that too. I have no clue what DRM is. They said something about wanting to play it without electricity...

INCyr

• Tier 2
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 01:15:19 PM »
DRM is digital rights management.  It's the name for any system that is in place to prevent piracy.

TTM has a DRM system in place - the license key they require you to have to activate your copy.  This is a very easy, unobtrusive form of DRM.  Other games have other methods - like requiring an internet connection at all times, only allowing you to install the game a certain number of times, etc.

Someone had asked about the DRM on TTM, because it's a worry these days for users as much as it is for game companies - the more DRM a game has, the more obnoxious it is for those trying to play it legitimately.  So a decent number of gamers will avoid any and all games that have DRM, or at least take it's inclusion into account when considering a purchase.

Because of the very light amount of DRM that TTM has, the response that followed was sarcastic - basically saying that in order to play TTM, you just needed to have a computer that was turned on.  However, sarcasm usually breeds sarcasm, and so other commenters followed, decrying how unfair it was that a computer with power was required, as power is obviously required for all computers to function.  These commenters were just having fun, and playing around - as such, you can safely ignore them.  Most people that regularly read that site will understand that TTM has no DRM and that it's a good thing.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 01:20:39 PM »
^That!

I actually set the DRM to so low a level that it's a joke, heheh. No internet connection needed, just enter the code and the game'll be playable forever.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:27:28 PM »
Now that I know, that's really funny! XD

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 01:44:37 PM »
 Stupid internet, not conveying sarcasm easily!

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 01:59:25 PM »

AMEN.

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 01:12:15 AM »
I think it's pretty safe to say that anything on the internet can be potentially sarcastic.

deadfolk

• Tier 1
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 01:15:40 PM »
I was the one who asked the question on RPS.  It was a serious question, as if I like this game as much as I expect to, I'd like to be able to replay it in the future without having to worry about activation servers still being up.

I should have known better than to ask at RPS!

Are you saying that I could take a computer which is not on the internet, enter my serial, and play forever?  And then do so again on a different computer five years from now?

If so, you've got yourself a sale.

tuffalobuffalo

• Tier 2
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 01:45:47 PM »
I was the one who asked the question on RPS.  It was a serious question, as if I like this game as much as I expect to, I'd like to be able to replay it in the future without having to worry about activation servers still being up.

Are you saying that I could take a computer which is not on the internet, enter my serial, and play forever?  And then do so again on a different computer five years from now?

You are correct, as long as you have the key, you can activate the game on any computer without being connected to the internet.  I even tested it on a computer not connected to the internet.

deadfolk

• Tier 1
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 02:17:52 PM »

You are correct, as long as you have the key, you can activate the game on any computer without being connected to the internet.  I even tested it on a computer not connected to the internet.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear - thanks!  Will be picking this up shortly, then.

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 09:57:28 PM »
Haha, those commenters are quite funny. Too bad I didn't get it the first time round. :)