Author Topic: Bugs from around the internet  (Read 3464 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Bugs from around the internet
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:40:13 PM »
I figured it might be a good idea to link to people complaining about bugs who might not be willing to contact anyone about them.

I think this one has cropped up before.

I can't even get pass the first scene. When I go to the right arrow leading to the house, the game crashes. I hope it gets fixed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/lwoe8/to_the_moon_is_out_now_and_here_is_a_review/

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
Re: Bugs from around the internet
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 04:09:33 PM »
Great idea Merlan! And I just heard from Jamie, someone who was having a similar problem, that he just got it fixed by downloading a codec pack. I'll get a FAQ set up soon.

drmickhead

• Tier 2
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »

I can't even get pass the first scene. When I go to the right arrow leading to the house, the game crashes. I hope it gets fixed.

I'm getting this problem myself. I tried excluding To The Moon.exe from DEP and I also tried downloading the ffdshow codec (and the entire XP codec pack, actually), but to no avail. The game freezes precisely when I click on the top-right arrow, after getting the equipment from the car. A dialogue box pops up, and before the doctor can lock the car, everything freezes except for the background music, and I have to force quit via task manager.

I'm using the demo version on Windows 7, Core2Duo, Nvidia GeForce 120. I've also been dying to play this game for the longest time, but I don't want to risk buying it and not being able to get past the very first scene.

Edit: the freeze occurs exactly as the car unlock sound file is played, if that helps anyone.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:22:57 PM by drmickhead »

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 07:35:10 PM »
Well it may be pure plain scaring, but may that be that Win 7 demo-ver. is missing some essential thing (like codec) which is found in full versions?
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 07:39:23 PM »
Have you tried the following things?

Quote from: Reives
It's something that's happening to a small portion of players, possibly due to compatibility issues. See if restarting the computer and things in this list would help: http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12248&forum=13&post_id=265112

Actually, downloading this codec pack might fix it: http://codecs.com/download/XP_Codec_Pack.htm

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:18:36 PM »
Heya DrMick, sorry about the inconvenience! Hm, try things from this list: http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8154&forum=13
Point 5. about the DEP is a likely candidate.

Edit: Just read you tried those. And also running with compatibility mode + as admin, I'd imagine.

Hm. . . I'll try to figure it out, but in the mean time, here's a save file for 1 second after that part:
www.freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/Save1.rxdata

Just put it in the C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\To the Moon - Freebird Games

and load the first save file in-game. That'll get past that one, but let me know if anything else comes up. Again, sorry for the hassles!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:59:56 PM by Reives »

drmickhead

• Tier 2
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 10:10:10 PM »
Thanks so much Reives. I tried everything from that list, and I've tried running in various types of compatibility (and on only one processor core, with different processor affinities, etc.). I tried locating the car remote door lock sound file to see if it was corrupted, but I wasn't able to find it.

I'm going to give that save file a shot, hopefully that will work!

drmickhead

• Tier 2
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 10:30:50 PM »
Ok, I tried the new save file. It worked fine until the second I entered the weird room in the basement. I don't know if there's any similarities between locking the car and entering the weird room, but if there is, that might be the source of my troubles.

In any event, the game is beautiful, and it's as good of an excuse as any to 'borrow' my own laptop back from the lady friend this weekend :)

Thanks for your help!

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 10:36:11 PM »
That is so weird! :o I hope someone finds out what's wrong...