Author Topic: Enex 2 [COMPLETE!]  (Read 41980 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Enex
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2008, 09:34:53 PM »
Oh, not given by NPCs overall I mean. It just seems more fitting that way for these things imo.

Erichermit

• Tier 4
    • Facebook for Pelagic Games
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2008, 10:27:32 PM »
I see your points on it messing with the "mood" of the game, but I actually have to disagree. I think it'd be stranger to receive these in the wild in some random chest or something.
Not trying to sound defensive, but I don't see how it's much different than buying funny figurines in one of Aeria's Shops in Quintessence? (Mind you, I LOVE those figurines and easter egg books.)

I appreciate your help, Muffin and Reives, (and trust me, I always want to hear about things like this so as to improve my game) but I personally rather like the way they're received. Though I will admit I do like the idea of receiving them from hidden dungeon rooms, I don't think I'll be changing that as it then leaves a hollow space in the reward spot from the optional event reward.

Anyway, I'm starting to plan out the optional dungeon. This dungeon will be available only to those who have really rooted out many secrets of the game (and defeated all of the hardest side bosses, the Hades Spirits) and thus, any person in there is already very powerful.

Do you feel that random monsters (visible encounter of course) are necessary for such a dungeon, or would an all-boss-battles and puzzles/challenges dungeon be fitting instead?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:29:17 PM by Erichermit »

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2008, 11:18:20 PM »
It really isn't any different from the Aerian shop ones, which is why I am planning to try to change them in the future (the problem with that though is that since there is no equip and the like in Quintessence, there's not much a shop can sell other than things that don't do anything). But comparing that with the Sword of Endless Cliche or something the player can find in a pot in Korbin Village, I'd say that the latter feels a lot more "rewarding" per se, without provoking the suspension of disbelief with the civilian npcs - again, just my opinion.

Of course random encounter isn't necessary. D: If you want to force an encounters, simply place them to jump out at set points or whatnot. Personally I'd go for more puzzle and less battle any day, hahah.

Erichermit

• Tier 4
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2008, 11:27:25 PM »
Ah yeah, I see what you mean. I can't believe I missed that sword :( I still like the way the weapons are rewarded. I honestly don't see much reason for you to remove the figurines from that store, but I suppose that is a conversation for a different topic, or perhaps over MSN?

Lol, no you misread what I meant! XD I never ever use random encounter anywhere at all in my game. I was asking whether or not to have "regular monsters" at all? Though maybe that's what you meant and I just misread it.

I may take a middle path and just have very very few regular monsters, so that you end up mostly fighting bosses.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:29:10 PM by Erichermit »

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2008, 11:32:27 PM »
Oh hahah, hm, I think a mix of the two is probably still best; simply so that the bosses are more prominent in comparison.

JJ the pingu

• Tier 6
  • pingus can talk too!
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2008, 04:34:31 PM »
I think you misunderstood what I said in my post, but thanks anyway.

This is the last screenshot from Light Realm. I swear!

that screen looks great eric-hermit :) :kardiansmile:
no comment

Erichermit

• Tier 4
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2008, 09:50:06 PM »
Help :( With EXTREMELY little stuff left to make in the game, I'm starting to lose my game-making urge! I simply cannot allow myself to go on another hiatus this close to completion.

What do I do? =X

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2008, 09:52:08 PM »
Watch a movie or show that may share similar themes to your game. c: Works for me most of the time; if I end up begin attached to it that is.

Erichermit

• Tier 4
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
Heh, I can't really think of any movies or shows with a similar theme (as I doubt movies or shows would run something so cliche! XD)

I might try playing Master of the Wind of something, see if that makes me feel rpgmakerish or something.

Another problem is this darn new computer. It's got vista and now rpgmaker xp seems to run differently, and crashes whenever I try to listen to music in the editor! >=0

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2008, 12:53:55 AM »
Vista sucks! =X my bro used vista and it sucked compared to my XP(mine is older too)
you might wanna try dual boot XP into your computer, then you can use XP to run the RPGmaker, hopefully works.
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out

HarryE

• Tier 5
  • Fall in a more hard-boiled manner
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2008, 03:44:15 AM »
I do have to say that this project does play host to some great screenshots, Enex. You've been working on this game forevever! Looking forward to the release. :P

JJ the pingu

• Tier 6
  • pingus can talk too!
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2008, 12:42:18 PM »
^ what he said
no comment

Erichermit

• Tier 4
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2008, 07:00:33 PM »
Thanks guys =) I have christmas break approaching. Even if I don't get it out on time for christmas, I'll still make great amounts of progress in my free time. (Though, due to a band trip, it might be exactly as much as I had hoped)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2008, 08:18:19 PM »
Oo, what kinda band trip? o:

soranokira

• Tier 7
  • Current Mood: bored bored
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2008, 12:06:15 AM »
don't worry we can wait! But just you gotta finish it and not waste all the effort you've spent into this game!
The wind will cease to be one day, and as I pass, what marks remain?
Graduation is not the end, we'll still be friends from here on out