Author Topic: Are Social Sciences and Humanities REALLY relevant?  (Read 1572 times)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
Are Social Sciences and Humanities REALLY relevant?
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:22:25 AM »
http://blogs.plos.org/neuroanthropology/2011/10/11/florida-governor-anthropology-not-needed-here/

I personally do not know what the governor is thinking. But before anything else, I would like to introduce myself again. I am Stardale Star. I am an English major, and I find my course (which is within the bounds of Humanities) to be relevant enough to be funded well and to be accepted as one. My parents wanted me to choose Medical Technology or even Speech Pathology, but I did not because I want a job wherein I would enjoy myself. Thus, I chose AB English (Language) as my choice of course.

Now, I digress.

The news link above speaks of the Florida Governor Rick Scott, wherein he stated that fields like Anthropology and, as implied, related fields in the Social Sciences and Humanities to be insignificant towards the state's progress in the economy. Again, I am not really sure of what this creature is thinking about that time, but I want to stress briefly that courses in the Humanities and Social Sciences are what I call "foundation" courses towards science-based fields such as Engineering, Architecture and Physics. My cousin is a MA degree holder in Anthropology, and he told me that studying the said field has contributed much while he did his dissertation for Ph.D in Biomedical Engineering. If not for fields such as these, I don't think there would be any good-working creatures out there that holds a degree in the Maths and Sciences.

How about you? What do you think? Are they REALLY relevant when it comes to the economy? Should funding really be cut in those disciplines?

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
Re: Are Social Sciences and Humanities REALLY relevant?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:30:40 AM »
Money talks, but sometimes it's best not to listen to it.

They may not be relevant to Economy but they are relevant to Humanity. Personally, I'm not surprised. He's a -cuss- ing governor and he's talking about state-related stuff. It's not a wonder that his world view is not bigger than his office's scope.