Author Topic: Interim  (Read 13488 times)

Lunarea

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Interim
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 11:28:27 AM »
I got the base for it from a chinese doll site. The rest was my own effort  :vikonsmile:

Lunarea

• Tier 5
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 09:56:19 AM »
Double-post, I know ... but it has eye candy!

New tileset for Tanzanite caverns  :seraismile:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:01:01 PM by Lunarea »

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 04:12:21 PM »
Wow, the new cave looks very fresh! Much better than the place holder. Love how you made the floor sand-ish as well; adds a nice refreshing touch to the typical muddy/stony cave floors. This would surely make the puzzle less frustrating even if it remains in the current state. :p

Lunarea

• Tier 5
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 10:00:41 AM »
Thank you, Reives!

I'm still changing the puzzle since I've mapped the place a little differently, but it should still be fun.

I will make sure to post an updated version as soon as I'm done with it  ;D

Edit: Changed the screenshot with better mapping.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:01:30 PM by Lunarea »

Lunarea

• Tier 5
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 10:33:42 AM »
Updated Demo is up! Download link is in the first post. It's the same filename as the old download for chapter 1.

There should be a couple new/updated scenes and a revamp of the puzzle - with less backtracking!

NOTE! I usually do very extensive testing of the demo before I release it (to get rid of any mistakes I can catch). I have not had the time to do that for this updated release. As far as I could tell, there shouldn't be any game-breaking bugs. If you do encounter a bug - such as passability problem or text being cut off, I apologize. I will work on fixing the demo up after the weekend.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 09:42:54 PM »
Much better. c: The custom graphics really did make a difference too. The tileset also makes the walking-around for puzzle part a lot less frustrating. The battle background is new too, right? If so, good stuff on that as well. The overall graphic style is very consistent now, and has a nice light-hearted cartoony feel to it.

I found a tileset glitch though; you can walk to the north wall tiles and have it seem like you are "standing" on the bottom of the wall. When Rex joins the party and the screen fades black, the characters disappear before it completely fades. And compared to the surroundings and character sprites, the campfire seemed to be quite small. That's all the things I can remember for now.  :reivsmile:

Lunarea

• Tier 5
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 12:34:23 PM »
Thank you, Reives!

I'm glad you enjoyed the graphics. It was a great experience for me to pixel them, as I could really take my time in making them look like something I envisioned in my head.

I will revisit the cave and make sure everything's in tip-top shape before the next release. For now, I'm working on some new graphics for the town of Ardast - which is very exciting!

Koppos

• Tier 3
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 12:18:43 AM »
that makes the puzzle folds more understandable. nice new graphics. the old ones were just rmxp rtp, yeah?

Lunarea

• Tier 5
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 09:16:19 AM »
Thank you, and yes. The old graphics were just the recolored wind cave RTP.

I'm now trying to go a little differently about using placeholders. Instead, I'm trying to use a non-shaded or unfinished version of the graphics. While the XP RTP is useful, my mapping with it is very different, so I find myself remapping areas anyway- which is just a huge time sink.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2008, 10:01:17 AM »
Sure pays off though. And it must be an exhilarating feeling to be able to finally put the tileset that has been worked on for a while in action.

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2008, 01:27:38 PM »
O.O I'm def gonna try this game out right now see how I like it :D I'll give a rating 1-10 once I get finished playing.
 :whaaa?:

Hope its good :)

Edit:120 Post Quintessence FTW
This quote will be legend

Lunarea

• Tier 5
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2008, 12:07:38 PM »
I should definitely make more user bars, I just have to figure out what to put in them!

I've finally transferred all my files from the old computer to the laptop, so I can get working on this again. In the meantime, I've been redesigning some of the future party members and working on the quests in the town.

Thanks for giving the demos a try  :seraismile:

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008, 02:10:39 PM »
Bump; try this.

Sarkilas

• Tier 6
  • That guy
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2008, 04:14:30 PM »
This looks cool. I love the fact that you don't use the RTP. There are so many games with it now (not that I have a reason to complain, even my own game is RTP due to my limitations) that you can get sick if the game doesn't turn out to be good. But this just catches your eye as soon as you see it due to the originality of graphics.

I played through the demo. I'll start with my questions towards possible flaws.
  • As a start, you might wanna add Auto Font Install. A very useful script when using non-default fonts.
  • I installed all the fonts in the Font folder, but the battle commands were empty.
  • There was a lot of walking back and forth. Maybe you should add some dash button?

Other than that, great job! This has great potential. I'd love to see what happens next. The graphics were just amazing. I wish I were an artist at that myself.

Good luck with this. Keep up the great work!

Need scripting help? Toss me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
Also able to help with anything RMXP related. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Lunarea

• Tier 5
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2008, 10:49:48 AM »
Thanks for giving it a try  :vikonsmile:

1- That particular font install interfered with one of the other scripts that I have, so I didn't use it. I may eventually find something to replace it, but so far I haven't found anything I liked.
2- This is an issue two other players have encountered, but I simply cannot replicate it! The battle commands use the same font as the conversation text, so in theory, if you see one - you should see the other. The battle script doesn't draw on any font use, but I guess I'll keep looking. Last time I tried to troubleshoot it, it turned out to be an RMXP error - and I have no way of fixing that.
3- I actually have a "speed" item (something like wing boots) that increase walking speed; it just wasn't in the demo.

I only started pixel art recently, but practice makes all the difference. I'm happy with the style I've adopted, even if it seems to take forever to complete anything.

Hopefully I'll have some screenshots and whatnot to show soon.