Author Topic: Interim  (Read 13302 times)

Sailerius

• Tier 2
  • Golden Sorcerer
    • Project BC Official Site
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Interim
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 09:39:57 PM »
Wonderful game so far, but I've been stuck on the cave puzzle for 45 minutes now.  There's got to be something I passed up.  You need to turn switch 2 off, but you can't get down to the place you need to go while it's off.

http://www.projectbc.net - Indie RPGs and adventures

Lunarea

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 09:57:05 PM »
There's a bit of back-tracking involved (and my apologies for that, since it's proven to be more frustrating than challenging!).

This is the solution:
Camp is floor 1. To get to the boss: 2-3-4-5-2-6. To get to the secret switch, 6-2-5-4-3-2.

Koppos

• Tier 3
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 01:49:27 PM »
ok, I played through this yesterday. most of it at least based on the estimated time at least. just couldn't figure out the puzzle for the life of me. anyway it's got some great systems and custom stuff. the char sprites are especially nice. I think I read they are custom. dialogs are nifty too. but really, that puzzle!!!
jreaj093jfpi3anfnlkac fnoufafr <==thats me slamming my head on keyboard

anyway keep it up, it was a nice play non the less.

Lunarea

• Tier 5
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 02:08:31 PM »
Thanks, Koppos!

Most of the the graphics are, indeed, custom. The tileset for the cave is just an RTP modification, but it's really a placeholder until I finish the actual graphics for the set. The systems (menu, battle, journal) are also all custom, and so is some of the music - such as the opening theme by the very talented Reives!

I will be revamping the puzzle as well, since it's too frustrating rather than challenging  ::)

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 02:31:08 PM »
Two suggestions for the puzzle

1. Please unstick that one wheel! That right there would make it much less frustrating, so we don't have to go ALL the way back to level 2, plus then you won't confuse people, wondering how it's possible to not get stuck.

2. On sublevel 4 (I think), on the map with the water blocking the way it's impossible to get to the ladder. This led me to believe I had to wait for the water at the TOP of the map to disappear. I turned that switch so many times, and it took forever to realize the water at the bottom WAS disappearing, and the stairs were then accessible. If you made the stairs accessible to begin with, and just slightly remapped the map with the water, that would be a help.

Those two things would have made it more enjoyable and less frustrating. Although, I do have to say, a connection between the teleporting pillar and switch 1 doesn't really make sense to me. Also, how did Rose attacking something on the upper level affect the boss creature?
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Sailerius

• Tier 2
  • Golden Sorcerer
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 02:39:31 PM »
There's a bit of back-tracking involved (and my apologies for that, since it's proven to be more frustrating than challenging!).

This is the solution:
Camp is floor 1. To get to the boss: 2-3-4-5-2-6. To get to the secret switch, 6-2-5-4-3-2.
I must be dumb because I'm still not seeing it. >_> Is the 'secret switch' the Switch 1 on floor 2?  I already knew about that.  My problem is that (I think) you need to have switch 2 OFF to finish it, but you need Switch 2 ON in order to get to the boss.

Erichermit

• Tier 4
    • Facebook for Pelagic Games
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »
As of now I can't find the time to play this, as I just got a Wii, but I will definately be playing this sooner rather than later.

Don't ever give up on it! I want to see this become a Complete Game! :D

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 02:58:15 PM »
D: Wii. Don't break the TV with the controller!

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 03:13:26 PM »

This is the solution:
I must be dumb because I'm still not seeing it. >_> Is the 'secret switch' the Switch 1 on floor 2?  I already knew about that.  My problem is that (I think) you need to have switch 2 OFF to finish it, but you need Switch 2 ON in order to get to the boss.

When switch 3 is ON, everything that switch 1 drained is still drained. So don't worry about getting stuck. If you go back to level 2, and you flip that switch so that switch 1 is ON, you can use the teleportation pole thingy. That's what 2-3-4-5-2-6 is about. Once you get to the boss on the lowest level, work backwards until you get back to camp (level 1) and then go back to the boss.

I think that should help. If it doesn't, well, sorry.  :( I did my best.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Lunarea

• Tier 5
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 03:35:06 PM »
@ abigailian:
I will organize it a little bit better so it's less back-tracking. I didn't want to make it so you just go down to the last floor, then back up (then down again!) hence why the wheel sticks on floor 4. But it didn't work out quite the way I imagined it. I'll go back to the original plan - which had fewer levels and a better layout. It also had 2 different water areas, so the ones that were purely aesthetic didn't confuse the player as much.

Rose basically used electricity to activate an old pump. Which, of course, wasn't obvious since the placeholder graphic looked like a torch. But! It will be a lot more clear visually when the actual graphics are in. In an earlier version, when the player tried to interact with that torch, he'd get a message saying that it's an old pump and to leave it alone. I took it out since it would confuse the hell out of anyone but me  :seraismile:

I do have a few scenes that need to be put in that should explain things a tad better.

@ Sailerius:
The secret switch is ... a secret switch that you had no access to before taking on the boss. It's actually located in the camp area. So, once you turn off all the switches, just head back there  ;)

@Erichermit:
Definitely planning to finish this. I've put too much thought and effort into it! Hopefully, everyone won't mind that it takes a while, since I'm doing everything by myself  ;D

Sailerius

• Tier 2
  • Golden Sorcerer
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 03:40:48 PM »
@ Sailerius:
The secret switch is ... a secret switch that you had no access to before taking on the boss. It's actually located in the camp area. So, once you turn off all the switches, just head back there

Ohh, I see.  I never would have found that on my own.  I had gone back up to the camp once before but the event didn't trigger, so I never thought to go back there *again.*

Lunarea

• Tier 5
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 03:50:48 PM »
Well, once all the switches are off, the game doesn't let you go back down, so you've no choice but to head to the camp area  ;D

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 05:06:41 PM »
Oh, I remember you saying that you are finishing up an updated version with the puzzle improved and custom graphics for the cave, right? Don't forget to post it here when you do. :p

Lunarea

• Tier 5
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 08:49:40 PM »
I definitely will!

I am mapping and re-eventing as we speak. Not much will probably change dialogue-wise, but I will have a couple extra scenes and pretty new graphics.

Expect a screenshot a little later!  ;)

Jellyrebel

• Tier 6
  • Jelly Belly
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 09:07:01 AM »
Whered you get the character art?