Author Topic: Recommend some Television!  (Read 6473 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Recommend some Television!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 01:48:34 AM »
The new MLP episode just finished loading, gonna watch that now.

Another Brony!? Dang it... :p

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 05:25:29 AM »
Well for those interested in the amry or marial arts:

Generation Kill (based on book about 2003 Iraque Freedom, one reporter participated on this invasion he rode with 1st Recon Marines)

Martial Arts:
Fighting quest
Human weapon
both worth looking. Interesting show about world martial arts.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 08:23:36 PM »
I see we have a lot of TV show loving in common (Doctor Who, Firefly, MLP, Mythbusters).

Let me tell you, you have to watch "Life on Mars" and "Ashes to ashes", you will love it.

I could tell you what it's about, but it will be easier for you to check on Wikipedia.
Life on Mars is two seasons and stars The Master from Doctor Who's 10th doctor.
Ashes to ashes is the sequel and is three seasons, and I loved it even more than the first series.

It's pretty trippy but, unlike Lost, you get all the anwsers to all your questions at the end.

Please, PLEASE, don't even consider that the US version of Life on Mars exists, watch the original british, it's not even comparable. Anyway, Ashes to ashes don't have a US version.

Well, yeah.
The new MLP episode just finished loading, gonna watch that now.

Yay~ -highfives you for having similar tastes as me-

I think I may actually heard of Life on Mars before... don't know what it's about or anything, but David Tennant is totally awesome. And British stuff is awesome. I'm an Anglophile. Yup :D So maybe I'll watch that when I'm done with Castle.

Ooh, I need to watch that MLP episode! (I love how I can go from listening to heavy metal to watching My Little Pony. So awesome.)

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 05:04:24 AM »
For those interested in that good old medieval-like fantasy stuff (though Merlan may kill me for this xD), I'd like to recommend the Legend of the Seeker series. It's based on a book series called Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind (which I'm also a fan of, despite having only read 3 books out of about 10 - if I recall correctly), and it's just amazing.
It's very different from the book series, but I think it's awesome in its own right.
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 07:55:18 PM »
Ooh, may I suggest Lost? I just got into it, but it's really great. It's all speculative fiction which is science fiction elements mixed with fantastical elements as well. Pretty sweet, and unlike Firefly or Dollhouse (which I both loved for their similar strangeness) it had 6 (six) seasons! Epiceness of epic proportions.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 08:46:52 PM »
And, you know, LOST actually had an ending :P I've given a tiny bit of thought to watching LOST, but it's always just seemed so... mainstream. I kind of like the feeling of saying "Hey, I watched this show the other day," and having people respond, "What show? I've never heard of that! :o"

:P

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 12:12:27 AM »
LOL, Vasha the Hipster!

But, Lost is really good. JJ Abrams, the guy behind Cloverfield, was the Executive Producer!

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 07:51:44 PM »
JJ Abrams did Cloverfield? :o Huh.

I'm also watching a show called Person of Interest right now, made by JJ Abrams and Christopher Nolan. It has a lot of potential, but most of it is, sadly, pretty untapped right now D:

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 09:26:48 PM »
Double Post.

I'm a bit more than a season into Castle. and it's good... but I'm not sure how much I'm going to get out of it. That's the problem with episodic shows: they don't have an overarching story to make sure you HAVE TO KEEP WATCHING. I'm just not too excited that I REALLY REALLY WANT TO WATCH THE NEXT EPISODE RIGHT NAO.

I think I may try Life on Mars right now.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 09:41:44 PM »
I mentioned this to Rax the other day, but the ladyfriend and I picked up Farscape a few weeks ago. It started a bit slow but once it picked up it became really good. It has a mild over-arching story to begin with that lingers in the background for awhile, making the first six or so episodes episodic and interchangeable; but then it gets surprisingly linear. The main story encompasses so many episodes you wonder why every one of them doesn't end with "to be continued". I'll definitely try to find time for the next season.

Oh, and Farscape is a Sci-Fi with creatures made in Jim Henson's Creature Shop. Again, the first episodes require a bit of diligence, but when it finally picks up pace it's worth the ride.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 10:35:32 PM »
Jim Henson Sci-fi O_O That sounds positively awesome.

I watched an episode of Life on Mars. It was trippy. Now I'm going to watch an episode of Castle, cuz I really don't want to give up on it. Here goes nothing!

EDIT: Oh my goodness, I'm watching a Halloween episode, and I think Nathan Fillion is dressing up as his character from Firefly! That is so awesome!

EDIT2: And he just made a Buffy joke. It's like a Whedon-festival! -is giddy-
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:39:30 PM by Vasha »

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »
Double Post, cuz I like keeping people up to date on my TV watching:

-I like Castle, but the episodic-ness of it is starting to get to me. It's charming, but it's not bringing me anything new. There's no "OH MY GOODNESS, WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT?" Maybe I'll watch an episode or two every once in a while, but I just can't watch them all straight.
-Life on Mars... hmm, what to say about this. I haven't watched another episode yet. I really think it has potential, but I'm just a bit wary of it falling into too much of a crime show at the beginning, because it seems like it could fall into the "We're a crime show with little bits of things thrown in every once in a while that we'll wrap up at the end." I really don't know if it's the kind of show to do that, I'm just... worried. Somebody put my fears to rest.

Looking through the old posts, Mela recommended a show called Twin Peaks. Sounds interesting (MORE COPS!!! :o -hides-), so I'm not sure right now if I want to watch an episode of Twin Peaks or Life on Mars. (I want my shows I've already started to start updating again D:)

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
J.A.G. is pretty good.
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2011, 07:44:16 PM »
Okay, so apparently I decided that I wanted to make myself feel really uncomfortable this Christmas, so I just re-watched what is probably the saddest episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (my first episode rewatch, and I pick THAT one?). It was really well done and really awesome, so I've gotta ask: Anyone else ever watch that show? It's so good, and I want someone to geek out with!

Mela

• 憂鬱
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2011, 07:53:16 PM »
^ Used to watch that show when it was on German TV. (I still have the Buffy bedclothes my mom gave to me when I was 12. xD) It's been so long, though. Gotta rewatch it. =)