Author Topic: Random pondering  (Read 1452 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Random pondering
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »
I just thought it might be kinda interesting to have a "game"/show-ish thing, which is essentially an entirely scripted town over a set period of time. All the player has control over is the complete control of the "camera" per se, to follow different tangents of stories about all the characters, and all the events would occur in real time.

Maybe something like that's already been done, I dunno. Anyone knows of any title?

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
Re: Random pondering
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 07:36:12 PM »
No, I've never heard of that! It sounds really cool though!

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:29:32 PM »
I know nothing of that concept but if it was done in RMXP/RMVX, wouldn't the player be clogged with message boxes every 2 seconds (since you mention of all events occurring in real time)? :P

Or I might've misunderstood your post.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 12:32:38 AM »
You could make image based texts (I have a script that turns text straight into non-saved images; it rocks). But the images couldn't be more than fifty and, since they're based on the player's position, they should only be shown if the center of the screen was near the event using them. However, I think a short but grandiose thing like this is not only possible, but an extremely cool idea.

You could have some strange event happen to a small town and the player can decide where to focus as the change causes unexpected ripples throughout a short period of time.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 02:49:12 AM »
This is kind of the objective of the side quests in majora's mask. This would work best if everything were voice acted. That way, you could just have the camera hear nearby sounds. You could either be a camera, or just a ghost amusing itself by watching mortals go about their business (or be trying to figure out some sort of mystery by sticking around after it died). I'd love this if it were 2D, though 3D would help with the atmosphere (not to mention make going into buildings much simpler). If the camera could lock on to a certain character, it'd make it even better (in case you want to see that character's entire story and not worry about chasing them with the camera.