Author Topic: Fleuret Blanc [The Testing Grounds]  (Read 67916 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Fleuret Blanc
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 12:01:55 AM »
Hrmmm... I'll guestimate. :p

Artwork: 99.00%
Music: 95.00%
SFX: 99.00%
VSFX: Complete!
Story Events: 90.00%
     Day 01: Complete!
     Day 02: Complete!
     Day 03: Complete!
     Day 04: Complete!
     Day 05: Complete!
     Day 06: 60.00%
     Day 07: 12.00%
     Ending Sequence: 20.00%
Extracurricular Events: 95.00%
Systems: 99.00% (1.00% room for growth)
Characters: Complete!
Scripts: Complete!
Et Cetera: Probably Complete! (Or close to it...)

*Arbitrary mental calculations. I'd say they have a tolerance of +/- 4%.

I'll try to pick up the pace a bit before school starts. Since events can be approached in a variety of orders, I have to adjust each to accommodate information from possible prior events, so it takes a little longer to program than might be expected.

Thanks for the ongoing interest, Vasha! I appreciate it. :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:33:53 PM by Merlandese »

Ancurio

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 06:47:50 PM »
Hey, you're the person I'm subscribed to on YouTube but cannot remember why!
Finally I see the game whose music I've been listening to all the time! :D

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 07:53:44 AM »
Hey, you're the person I'm subscribed to on YouTube but cannot remember why!
Finally I see the game whose music I've been listening to all the time! :D

Haha! Oh, really? Well thanks for being a subscriber even if you can't remember why. :p

I appreciate it. :)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »
DOUBLE POST:

There are a couple of songs I had planned for this project that I eventually tossed. One of the first was an arranged version of Joe Dassin's Aux Champs Elysses. I decided it wasn't appropriate so I never polished it completely. Here it is:

Aux Champs Elysses (Arranged)

And since I'm posting an unused song, I might as well post some used ones:

Fleuret Blanc ~ Title Screen

Fleuret Blanc ~ Matin

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »
Huh, interesting. I'm not sure why, but I was expecting a synth/techno-based soundtrack. I really like it, though!

EDIT: Oh, probably because of the last song you posted :P

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 05:28:50 PM »
Yeah, sorry. Garoad's songs will be the more synth-based ones. For the most part there are quirky songs with orchestral/electronic mixes and quite a few inspired by French animated films. Plus I carry 5/4 time around a lot in this soundtrack, which most people probably aren't comfortable with.

Here's another one that's in there by me. It still doesn't touch the techno-synth groove, but I think it's fitting:
Electronic Journal by Merlandese

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 06:26:53 PM »
Whoa, that might be one of my favourite tracks of yours of all time! Absolutely love the composition and tranquil mood.

The atmosphere reminds me a bit of one of my favourite film scores too; Thomas Newman's Define Dancing:
Spoiler: show

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 04:07:28 PM »
Whoa, that might be one of my favourite tracks of yours of all time! Absolutely love the composition and tranquil mood.

The atmosphere reminds me a bit of one of my favourite film scores too; Thomas Newman's Define Dancing:
Spoiler: show

Thanks, man! That means a lot, I'm so glad you liked it. :)

Wall-E is at the top of my Pixar favorites list, easily. The soundtrack is exactly what I love, and the whole movie was perfect. It had an engaging and romantic plot while hiding a powerful message that was in no way preachy.

In other news, I just received the next (and I believe last) set of voice clips for the project. I'm glad to add the talents of both Mark Ryan "Cettoto" Anderson and Sabrina Valenzuela.

Cettoto is probably more well known around here than I am, so he really needs no introduction. Nor do I really need to say that he is a talented voice actor whom I was pleased to work with. I also don't need to mention that you can observe his works on his YouTube channel.

Sabrina is a wonderful and talented songstress who works primarily out of her YouTube channel, which should be visited often. It's great to hear her voice whether she's singing or simply making odd grunts into a microphone.

I should also mention that Reives has his hand in the voice pot. He plays one of the more interesting characters, and spot on. They're personally some of my favorite vocals in the game so far. :)

Unfortunately, this game doesn't have a heavy vocal staple, so their voices are merely subtle additions to the experience. Fleuret Blanc won't do their talents much justice... But still, it's a pleasure getting their help and they're certainly welcome enhancements. :) I'd like to thank all three of them for putting aside their busy schedules to make these lines for me. :')

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »
Aah, Cettoto totally needs to get his butt back here :P But, really, it's nice to see this coming along smoothly!

(On a random side note, Voice Acting sounds so fun! I don't have a microphone, though... or any reason to get one because I'm not ACTUALLY a voice actor, just day dreaming! :P)

Avarlie

• Tier 6
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 09:16:45 AM »
Wow Merlan now I'm even more excited for your game. You've got some extremely talented people working with you.
How long have you been working on this for? Lets guess which character Reives plays...... ...... ...... chihuahua bag! :p

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »
Thanks Vasha and Blink! XD Yeah, they are talented people.

How long have you been working on this for? Lets guess which character Reives plays...... ...... ...... chihuahua bag! :p

Erm, I've probably been working on this for six months, though it could be less if you cut the time I spent at school or traveling Europe and the States. Maybe four-five months of regular work.

And nope, Reives isn't the chihuahua. Though, if Reives could pull off a convincing French bark I might consider it. :P

I didn't post up the characters like most developers do. I'll hold off on that. Half the fun is meeting them and figuring out what connects them to their Prized Possessions. I might post up a couple of the initial cast a bit later. It'll be obvious who Reives voiced because I took a few minor traits from the guy (specifically, his name).

Avarlie

• Tier 6
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 12:09:37 AM »
-Thats a pretty quick timeframe considering how the majority of the game is custom and assuming you've been working on it solo.
-Damn I was so sure it was the chihuahua! :p
-Don't worry about posting more characters. Florentine is intriguing enough :) It does kinda spoil the story when you read character profiles beforehand.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »
-Thats a pretty quick timeframe considering how the majority of the game is custom and assuming you've been working on it solo.

It may be quick, but that still adds up to quite a few hours of work.

Spoiler: More on that • show

I have dozens of sheets and checklists (written out beforehand) that keep the project smooth and goal-oriented. However, I left enough room for innovations after the foundations were finished. In fact, I didn't start inputting storylines or events until I completed the bout system, gossip system, and most of the other interactive elements. That way I didn't risk leaving blank spots in integral pieces and also had plenty of time to alter future events in my head (and on paper).

Reives has some really good pep-talk threads on here that go a long way in helping with alternate views on consistent designing. I found them useful and suggest anyone interested in making a project skim them over. Of course, they're useless without good work ethic and initiative.

Quantity vs. Quality; another look at "dedication".
An alternative approach to game making & planning.
Making games for players, not just developers.

PRIZED POSSESSIONS
Each character's Prized Possession represents themselves in some highly contrived symbolic way that not even they realize. This symbolism is implied on various occasions, but never fully revealed. Florentine also has a representative treasure that she brings with her. Pulling from what little of her background is available, anyone may feel free to speculate what sort of object she prizes most.

Avarlie

• Tier 6
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 08:28:23 PM »
Thats and interesting game making strategy. I can see the advantages of figuring out the interactive systems first instead of doing the script in one go to stay motivated. Did you still have those rut moments? It also could help prevent the game from being all dialogue and not enough gameplay. Sometimes its hard to adapt the script into a game when you forget about gameplay when writing.

Thanks for the links. I really like the second one. It makes me want to pick up a project that I already have a skeleton plan for but lost interest in when I started to write it out. But its exam time!  D':

Its the chihuahua right? Because you said it would have a french bark and she's from France.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 01:09:02 AM »
Ce n'est pas le chien francais. Though, choosing a living creature as a possession is an angle that gets touched upon.

You can see a little of her Prized Possession in my signature. :D

Here's one of the first songs I made for the game. I just posted it on YouTube, so it might be nice to have it here as well.

Enquête (Investigation) by Merlandese

Also, I did a lot of homework throughout the week and had a good few hours to work on this, so there's been a couple of nice steps forward. :)