Author Topic: Test version of TML v2  (Read 8792 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Test version of TML v2
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 07:26:22 PM »
If I can make a suggestion, could you disable the five rowed dresser once all of the drawers are empty so that it simply says there's nothing in there, like the other dressers? I can't remember when it happened in the game, but I was looking for what to do next and I think I searched all of the drawers again and they were all empty. It would be nice to just say that the whole thing's empty once you clear it out.

And what's the secret code on the painting? I was really hoping that would come into play.

Also, I died against the invading army at the end of Retro Vacation. How do you win?

Avarlie

• Tier 6
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 08:08:21 PM »
And what's the secret code on the painting? I was really hoping that would come into play.

I think that just there to make us speculate and adds to the wtf factor.

Also, I died against the invading army at the end of Retro Vacation. How do you win?

Oh I just hold down the arrow key and charge through them XD Somehow I survive with four hearts left over after the barge through. Even though the max health limit is four hearts, if I have max health and collect extra hearts my health doesn't go down if I get hurt.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »
I'm fixing the bugs now, but hm, about the access card not working -- was it the case that you never touched the computer until you got the access card? I'm looking at the code now and that seems like a likely loophole on my part.

Yeah, that's what happened. Since I've played before, I kinda knew what I was doing already, so I didn't bother looking at the computer until I had the keycard I knew I needed.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:19:58 PM by Vasha »

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »
I had to leave the room and the computer say that I have mail before I can use the access card.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 10:16:38 PM »
Ahh yep, that makes sense -- I just fixed it then. :D

@Blink & The # on the painting: I think someone on the discussion thread found what it referenced before. It's not something that has any directly relevance to game mechanics, but it's not random.

@Merlan: True, I'll do that. I also just took off the "There're 5 rows . . . Search?" dialogue after the first time it happened, since it gets repetitive.

Also, you cannot win against the army of Sal.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 10:46:02 PM »
So, if that number has no actual effect on gameplay, does that mean you can beat the game without ever stepping in that room? A useless number and some stale bread?

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 10:47:10 PM »
@Merlan: True, I'll do that. I also just took off the "There're 5 rows . . . Search?" dialogue after the first time it happened, since it gets repetitive.

Thank you. That got really annoying.

And what was that about the order the paintings disappeared in? I didn't pay too much attention, but if it has to do with a date, I probably wouldn't know what it's referring to anyways :P Anyone wanna help a lazy person out? XD

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 10:50:14 PM »
Thank you. That got really annoying.
Let me know whenever some other annoying things like that happen so I can fix it! :P

So, if that number has no actual effect on gameplay, does that mean you can beat the game without ever stepping in that room? A useless number and some stale bread?
Hahah, pretty much. Though to be fair, it's not entirely useless for those who want some more concrete stamp on what the game meant, since it's one of the few things in there that actually has an objective trace of what it references. The game really isn't about gameplay anyhow; e.g. holding the bear has no effect on any mechanisms either, but hopefully it had some psychological effects and all that shenanigans.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 11:20:18 PM »
(Self-phantomization!)

... Weren't you going to throw the TtM trailer in here? Or did I misunderstand that?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:32:16 PM by Merlandese »

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 11:27:59 PM »
See, that's why I gotta stop talking. :P I really want it to be something that's completely open, but I did have a certain path to make everything seem to fit to an extent -- I mean, even for these things, if you just throw in a bunch of completely random things it'd probably be too messy for even the illusion of something. So yes, there're certain things in there that were hinted at certain things, but I don't want that to lock anything down.

. . .Uh, this post might get phantomized in the near future.

Anyhow, the TtM trailer was going to be on it, but then it bumped the file size to 30mb; I wanted to keep TML really lightweight, so that went out the window. D:

Avarlie

• Tier 6
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 08:32:08 PM »
@Blink & The # on the painting: I think someone on the discussion thread found what it referenced before. It's not something that has any directly relevance to game mechanics, but it's not random.

Oh yes I was aware of that theory it was just never confirmed (until now) so we were left to speculate as to what the theme of the game was about.

Also, you cannot win against the army of Sal.

Huh? Do you mean you fixed it?
Spoiler: show

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 10:35:05 PM »
So I played through the uh, official thing. And here's what I think about it. Note: I don't think it's going to be very positive ._.

Spoiler: show

I do notice all the new changes, like the teddy bear, the bed crashing, the red water, and the blank paintings... Yeah, they are changes and all, but really? That's it? I'm pretty sure I was expecting waaaaay more O_o That might be just me, but be honest here, did anyone feel like the changes added any new theories to the story, or favored a particular set over the others? Sure, red water might equal death, but hey. Leah disappeared at the end or something. I like the teddy bear and that might add a cute side to Leah and I found myself trying to stand it back up over and over again after the fire, but honestly... that could have been fleshed out SO much more, but it wasn't. Honestly disappointed.

Are there any new plot devices? Any new text or dialog? Nope. Did I miss a secret ending? Probably, but that feels highly unlikely, given the lack of any revolutionary changes. Hidden themes? Not any new ones that weren't there originally (come on, you can't say that red water = Leah is super aggressive).

Also, the piano tune doesn't sound much like TtM to me. Maybe because it's a mess up, but, unless it's just an Easter egg, it doesn't promote TtM. At least the To Realize mess up still sounded like To Realize ._. This isn't right. I'm stupid.

To sum it all up, I feel like this was really a rushed release. I really feel disappointed in that I couldn't tell if I was still playing the original TML or not. There are just so few changes to the game that I don't think it warranted a re-release. The red water feels thrown in and there still is that pretty much empty room with the random date (which, by the way, is the date of the nuclear bomb test in New Mexico. Derp).

Final Verdict: What's new? Nothing I can see.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:06:20 PM by mepwnn »
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »
I thought the themes on the piano were from The Mirror Lied, not TtM. Is my ear malfunctioning?

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 10:59:38 PM »
I thought the themes on the piano were from The Mirror Lied, not TtM. Is my ear malfunctioning?

I thought that too.

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011, 11:05:23 PM »
Really now? for some reason I thought I heard TtM in one of them in game. One of them definitely sounded cheery. Post changed.
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)