Author Topic: Order vs. Chaos  (Read 3116 times)

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
Order vs. Chaos
« on: June 12, 2008, 12:24:44 AM »
A little song I wrote. Genre is kind of umm, weird MIDI techno?  ??? Something like that. Anyway, this isn't what my stuff usually sounds like, but it may be weird enough to enjoy.

http://www.geocities.com/piscis_ex_aqua/ordervschaos.mid

The title is because there's lots of really random stuff thrown in, but there's also a lot that's pretty consistent throughout the song.

Don't be to harsh.  :P

This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Order vs. Chaos
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 12:45:22 PM »
Heheh yeah, I wouldn't really call it techno. Some parts are almost pop-ish, sort of. :p

Some interesting things in here, though. I'm guessing from my failed attempt to tell that you didn't take the follow-a-chord-progression short cut, and the harmony still sounds organized for the most part; you seem to have a decent musical background. c:

The nay side of things for me is that it doesn't seem to hold too much of a punch, if you know what I'mean. It goes on making sense, but nothing seems to stand out overly much as far as attention-grabbing/emotions go.  Well, the main melody does touch on that though.  :vikonsmile:

Good stuff over all, and good to hear a fellow musician's work!

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 01:09:33 PM »
Heheh yeah, I wouldn't really call it techno. Some parts are almost pop-ish, sort of. :p

I could go with that.

Some interesting things in here, though. I'm guessing from my failed attempt to tell that you didn't take the follow-a-chord-progression short cut, and the harmony still sounds organized for the most part; you seem to have a decent musical background. c:

Actually, the whole song really does follow the same simple chord progression. Part of the interest in making this was to see what I could do with one chord progression, (Dm7, Fmaj7, Am7, G) the bass mixes up a little bit, but I think there's only one part that has even one accidental. The other reason I made it was trying to figure out how much fun I could have with time signature changes.

The nay side of things for me is that it doesn't seem to hold too much of a punch, if you know what I'mean. It goes on making sense, but nothing seems to stand out overly much as far as attention-grabbing/emotions go.  Well, the main melody does touch on that though.  :vikonsmile:

No argument here! Just curious though, what are you referring to as the main melody? I'm not even sure what the melody is! Sometimes you work on something, and you don't even hear it the way a first-time listener would anymore.

Btw, if anyone wants to open the MIDI file and look at it, it will make a LOT more sense if you move everything over one measure, so it starts at measure two. Otherwise the time signature changes will probably come in the wrong places.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 01:14:22 PM by abigailian »
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 10:32:59 PM »
Ugh, I don't know how to do that in Finale. :x Everything's bar by bar.

And ahh, hahah, I see. Lots of things going on so I couldn't tell then. :p That's a good thing. And by main melody, I was referring to the recurring theme of descending triads (ish), that's sorta like the part at the beginning.

menti

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 5
  • Ça plane pour moi
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 04:52:55 AM »
I reckon it would be nice if it were a little bit faster, but I think it sounds mostly wrong because its midi with its bad instrument quality  :kardiansmile: nice job though.

:'( Wish I could show you some of my compositions... stupid having to buy stuff to do that!

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:06:39 AM »
And by main melody, I was referring to the recurring theme of descending triads (ish), that's sorta like the part at the beginning.

Ok, that makes sense, since it is introduced first, more or less. I never would have though that could really be a melody; it's just a descending broken chord. Thanks for your opinion and analysis. Very helpful.  :)

I think it sounds mostly wrong because its midi with its bad instrument quality

word.
*sigh*

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:12:41 AM by abigailian »