Author Topic: Making a thread about your game.  (Read 2310 times)

dinnerordie17

• Tier 3
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Making a thread about your game.
« on: June 25, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »
Let's have a discussion about what is good and what works when you finally make the promoting and download thread of your game.

Mainly just because most peoples descriptions are soooo good at turning me off what might otherwise might be a good game, so I'd like to get some tips from people who are experienced, or perhaps just understand some of the techniques of good writing to raise some points.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
Re: Making a thread about your game.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:15:20 PM »
I like screenshots :P Those are generally the only things I look at, and then if those are good MAYBE I'll look at the actual words.

dinnerordie17

• Tier 3
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 08:28:23 PM »
I agree haha, screenshots are usually what I check first, mainly to see if the persons an amateur or not haha.
The Quintessesnse thread that was on RRR was downloaded by me based on screenshots alone, also Reives didn't actually bother to give it any real plot description haha.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 08:32:27 PM »
[Edit:
Hahah, the old Quintessence threads. . . they did work decently I suppose, but I'm a bit embarrassed about them. :P ]

Yeah, as shallow as it is, everyone generally take in the visuals for a first impression -- not saying that they won't read the texts or anything, but it's just faster to process visual information, and first impressions hit a lot. Each game has its own quirks and strengths; definitely try to grab the attention from the first step via whatever you think works for that specific game.

As for texts, I suggest starting off with something that's short & sweet to catch their attention, throw in some visuals, then insert the rest of the verbal descriptions after you (hopefully) got their attention. Also, depending on where you post it, there may be some considerable advantage to not do what every other thread does in terms of structure and whatnot too; you're gonna need to try to stand out in dev-concentrated places, but just make sure it doesn't come off too overly flashy and watch out for pretension.

Oh, and try not to directly brag about that same project in its description -- if something about it is awesome, show, don't tell. It's pretty cringe-worthy when I see it happening. :<

Note that some forums give you a strict template that you must follow, so be sure to still stick with guidelines. Although, while that helps otherwise sub-par threads to fill up all their required info, it's pretty limiting to potentially creative ways of conveying things.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:34:36 PM by Reives »

dinnerordie17

• Tier 3
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 08:57:50 PM »
Also... character descriptions. Are they really needed? Usually they just make your characters sound allot more generic then they actually are.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 05:51:38 AM »
I like screenshots and I don't mind if I can learn something about main cast. I also like when there is a breef description of a story (like on back covers of books or games).
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 08:23:47 AM »
Don't write an one-page history of the land 1000 years before the game begins and then copy and paste it so that I have to scroll down the whole thing to ignore something about some war. ::) Especially don't do this when it has so little to do with the plot. It's really just annoying and a waste of time . :seraisweat:

Oh, and game-making progress bars in your signature! What's the point of that? You make this bars that you won't, and I know you really don't, update on a regular basis. What do they do other than say "Oh yes, I think I am done with the story and the scripts and the graphics..."

Just being honest...

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »
^Worked for Tolkien though... Well true is that he went all out with Middle-earth used everything he made.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 12:46:18 PM »
Hate to say it, I do look at a screenshots because I dislike walking through a very bland world. If their decent, or okay, I'll still read the story and see what its about it, so far I noticed that if the maps are good the story itself will be somewhat good, or just decent, maybe even great.

Characters, I'd at least like to know their name and such unless it spoils the plot.

I know in some forums, their very strict on crediting whoever made the sprites, scripts, music, and all that jazz in your project. To be honest, I also think this is important because, if I made something and someone was using it, I'd like to come and check my work out and spread it around.

@Rax 9000, I agree, unless someone actually doesn't let us read it in the game, then put it in a spoiler or in notepad for we can come read it. At least I would for I would know what the game is referencing about if people are talking about it in the game.

*ramble ramble*