Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Breeze
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:34:41 PM »
I've always wanted to write a song with the most cliche but nice sounding chord progression. And recently motivated upon hearing a gazillion version of my favourite song from Air that uses the chord progression, I decided that it's time! D:

Note that this is still heavy WIP; just the harp outlining the chords and flute outlining the melody. I am planning to make it orchestral in the future.

http://freebirdgames.com/Breeze-KG_Heavy_WIP.mp3

Edit: Full version, sort of. (Begins halfway through):
http://freebirdgames.com/Breeze_Kan-Reives-Gao.mp3

[I did redeem myself a little at the middle by swaying away from the cliche progression a little. But anyway, it was certainly very enjoyable to write. ]

Why does everyone have to use chords that sound good and make it overused? >:/ They should all leave them to me so I can use them without being guilty.  :'(
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:33:56 AM by Question Kyo »

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
Re: WIP song
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:43:40 PM »
That's nice! it's so pretty and playful! And just because it's overused doesn't mean this can't be serious. After all it's what you do with a good chord progression. I like how the reverb is more toned down than some of the more recent Quintessence stuff.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »
Aye, I have been going overboard with reverb as of late. D: I think I've found my happy place with this one. Hope it holds okay when I add more instruments to it.

Think this is usable in Quintessence? And any suggestions on name other than the current working title "Breeze"? ( No promises that I'd take the suggestion(s) for sure, but surely possible and would certainly help in either case. c: )

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 10:24:19 PM »
You'd know better than us what Quintessence can handle ;) But it sounds a bit too cheery to me. Breeze seems like a good title though! It's springy and cheerful but still calm. Perfect.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:47:58 PM »
@Abaigail:
Oh, speaking of which, did I mention that Drift was originally named "Breeze" or "Autumn Breeze"? :p It was originally made as a theme song for a short story, heheh.

@Pathbinder:
Hm, it's probably a little too content for that, heheh. It does sound like reminiscing in a way, though, perhaps it can be worked into that somehow.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 11:33:16 PM »
Eeee~!   :o

So pretty!  I really like it.   :)  I can't wait for the improved version!

This is really beautiful and elegant, in my opinion.

God...  I wish I could make music...  :'(

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 03:25:28 PM »
You know, I was just thinking, you probably already know this but there are some really easy ways to spice up a chord progression. I mean think Big Band music! They used the same chords and same rhythm for just about every song, but they always added extra notes to the triad, like the sixths and sevenths and even stuff that isn't in the scale. This version of breeze that might be a little hard to do, but when you make it orchestral, you should put extra notes in the chord, and try moving the bass around a little bit. Like make something other than the root of the chord the root of the chord. You probably do some of that anyway, it's just I haven't noticed very much.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
Re: Breeze
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 12:49:21 PM »
Aye, that's true. Also, real recordings/live playing are always better in the aspect of using old chords, since they can still put their own style to the performance, unlike midi. o:

Voila:
http://freebirdgames.com/Breeze_Kan-Reives-Gao.mp3

Orchestral part starts halfway through; I kept the harp+flute-only part since it had a nice variation feel from the second part. c:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:26:19 AM by Question Mark? »

menti

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 5
  • Ça plane pour moi
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 04:10:08 AM »
I hate the way the flute sounds because it makes me feel sad that I have to work so much on my tone.  :'(

But thats just me.

The new orchestraness sounds yayness... if that makes any sense.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 10:09:42 AM »
I hate the way the flute sounds because it makes me feel sad that I have to work so much on my tone.  :'(

But thats just me.

The new orchestraness sounds yayness... if that makes any sense.

1. You mean that the flute sounds good, right?

2. Of course yayness makes sense! ;)

@ Reives

I like the new stuff alot. This song is extremely beautiful, and I love all the little hooks in there. Nicely done!

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 08:43:05 PM »
@Menti:
Heheh, I wish I could get that good of a tone too. But when you record your playing, I think you can take off the "airyness" a bit by using the reduce background noise function - Cheating for recording, but hey. :p Do you still get the off-tube air problem when you play? I had that for a long time. ._.

@Abigail:
Thanks. c: There are still some parts that are a little clustered, so I'll be fixing that up in the near future. It was fun writing a song like this; not too much headache yet still good fun.