Author Topic: Silek's Mapping Thread. (RMXP)  (Read 2990 times)

Silek

• Tier 3
Silek's Mapping Thread. (RMXP)
« on: April 27, 2008, 08:41:51 PM »
So, I've been working on a game of my own lately, and I am pretty much a beginner at RMXP, and most of all, my mapping sucks.. hard.

I'm hoping to use this thread not to show off my maps, but so people can critique my work, and help me better myself, and maybe if others are in the same position as I am, they can use this thread as well. But uhm, i'm hoping for critique especially on these two maps for now:

This is the main village where the first bit of the story takes place, this is one of the maps i'm somewhat proud of, but i'm always open to any suggestions.

And this..

I took pathbinder's advice on this one and redid it, it seems way less bland and looks a little better I think, but if i'm missing anything here, i'd really love to hear about it!

Edit 1: Changed the registry building.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 12:17:31 AM by Silek »

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Silek's Mapping Thread. (RMXP)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 05:47:33 PM »
I like the variation on the houses in the village. The layout is well done as well, feels natural yet still organized enough to be a town. The ground at places feel a little empty though, you might benefit from throwing some tall grass around those places.

As for the interior, the new screenshot is much better size-wise, but it's still very empty. Decorate it with plants, and etc., but put them around the corners accordingly to avoid clustering. Also, carpet autotiles are very handy for interior mapping - they do not clutter the area, yet still adds some variation to sight. If you can't find enough things to fit the room naturally, consider making it even smaller. c:

menti

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 5
  • Ça plane pour moi
Re: Silek's Mapping Thread. (RMXP)
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 08:43:53 AM »
The village is pretty good, though they seem to have big houses for just a little village, but then maybe it's a big village, I really don't know.

And as Reives said, the internal screenshot looks a little empty, but perhaps once people are inside, it will be better? We have to wait and see! :D