Author Topic: Upcoming The Mirror Lied new re-release  (Read 10757 times)

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Upcoming The Mirror Lied new re-release
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 03:34:33 PM »
I think the radio should appear after the house "burns" down. Though honestly the suggestions Thunder made would make it more of a horror game than a wtf-am-I-playing game. As for the bread on the table thing, as well as the piano thing, it detracts from the feeling that you're alone in the house.

Also, Leah showing emotion once would feel... thrown in if not shown again, wouldn't it? Like the microscope, it felt like something that was just there to make everything interactive (though I kind of liked the microscope :D)

We could get a panorama of some tall buildings and make it so that you can look out the window. Over time, when some of the continents disappear, the buildings also disappear. And maybe we could even show the entire house disappear in the ending scene.

The ringing telephone or the breaking glass at the end are also things that would happen in horror games.
If I remember correctly the telephone also moves its place one time, leaving you to think "who the playtypus moved it?"
But you are right that you shouldn't be just feeling "oh alright I'm fighting versus some evil in this house",
so there shouldn't be too much leaving that impression - just enough to leave you puzzled.

About the emotion, it may be feel thrown in, but things that happen only once also can make you think about it. "Why was it there?" In this case it's good if it's leading to the conclusion that you have no conclusion.

If you add a window it could also break the confined-theme.
But it may be interesting if the outside would change.
Alright this house is standing in a big city...uhm not anymore now its a forest. Wtf now I only see the front of a waterfall through my window!?
I think the ringing telephone and breaking glass are just indicators of where you should go. The computer scared me more than the phone :\ Honestly I wondered if the phone moving positions was a mistake or not. If it's not, then there could be an extra ending showing what exactly moved it. And yes, you shouldn't feel "oh alright I'm fighting versus some evil in this house" since that would lead to fewer conclusions as opposed to the mass of possible conclusions.

Which leads to the one-time things. For the emotion, sure it gives the "Why was it there?" feeling and does open up new conclusions, but it just doesn't tie in with the rest of the stuff that goes on. The date that is hidden in the game refers to the Atomic Bomb test in New Mexico during WW2, and while this is going on, the continents are disappearing. One could then think that Birdy was like a bomber or something ( :pewpewpew: ) and Leah was some sort of Anti-Air unit (the messages/"We had a deal."). There's also some other possibilities but I'm too lazy to include it. The point is is that emotion doesn't seem to... work (for lack of a better word) with the situation.

Also, while it may seem to open up new conclusions, it opens up one side of Leah, that she actually has emotion, but can only feel scared or not scared. So I think that would actually reduce the number of conclusions.

Finally there's the changing scenery. I was thinking, instead of everything changing into like a forest, this is what you would see in order:
  • A bunch of buildings, complete with skyscrapers and office buildings. In the distance there are some mountains, stars, and clouds
  • The same buildings, but are now missing the skyscrapers. There seem to be fewer mountains and stars
  • The same buildings, but are also missing the office buildings. The mountains get shorter and the stars no longer shine
  • A handful of shorter buildings are left. Only clouds are left in the sky
  • Absolutely nothing.
Or something like that. The scenery can be left out, but I think keeping it would kind of add to the "end of the world" conclusion. Or it may open up/emphasize a conclusion that says something like: "Leah creates a world in her mind to escape from something. Birdy represents what she's trying to escape from, and the messages and phone calls represent her own self. Over time, as her mind fails her, the world begins to collapse as well. At the end, she can no longer hear herself, joins Birdy, and then kills herself as the final solution."
...Or something like that.
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 04:44:41 PM »
Yes I am uncertain about the emotion, too. Maybe it's better to leave that out.

The "end of the world" theme is good, but I think it shouldn't be confined to this one.
But please don't give any explanations why that phone changed position and leave it be, as you can see at my suggestions I think the creepy factor is fitting to this game.

Another idea (although maybe going to far):
The ending could be dependent on what you think is going on there.
If you think it's the end of the world, it will be the end of the world.
If you think it's something evil inside the house it will be something evil.
Your actions can show what you think, if you check the worldmap more than one time it shows that you think about the changing map (or that you have no clue and start checking everything again ^^).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 04:51:54 PM by Thunderbird »
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
  • Only the blind can see.
  • Current Mood: worried worried
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »
 :o Awesommmmmmeeeee. I can't wait. -purposefully has not read any of the suggestions, wants to be surprised-Although, I'm kind of afraid of too many new things being added. Part of TML's charm was its simplicity and shortness.
Removing the level and equipment stuff is probably a good idea. :p I remember hearing some comments on that in various places.
Multiple endings sounds interesting, with the reservation above. I like Question Mark's WTF ending idea.  :D But perhaps something like that should be "unlocked" after a first playthrough. Like, after you play through it once and see the "True" ending, you can replay and see the noncanon endings, so that a person doesn't accidentally get the weird ending and get a wrong impression about the game.

Come help us out!

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 12:03:46 PM »
Yes, I totally want this. Very bad.

Are you planning to reveal whatever kind of 'truth' there is in the story, though?

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »

Are you planning to reveal whatever kind of 'truth' there is in the story, though?

That would ruin the "Interpretation" part of it, though, I think. :-X

By the way, I've missed you, Kirro!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'(

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 05:55:37 PM »

That would ruin the "Interpretation" part of it, though, I think. :-X

By the way, I've missed you, Kirro!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'(
I read "Interpretation" as "Inception." Made it pretty interesting to read.

And yes, it's best not to reveal a truth. I like the shrug of god.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 01:08:02 AM »
I wish my classmates would understand the awesomeness of the shrug of God D:

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 01:18:45 AM »
How hard is it to understand? Not even the author knows the true meaning, it's as simple as that lulz

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 01:48:56 AM »
Yeah, they said that was 'cheep' or something. They pretty much think it's lazy of the author/game maker that the reader/player has to come up with their OWN interpretation.

Question Mark

• 疑問符の人
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »
Yeah, they said that was 'cheep' or something. They pretty much think it's lazy of the author/game maker that the reader/player has to come up with their OWN interpretation.
Tell them that it's sad that people today whine about being forced to think for 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:18:59 AM by Fragezeichen »

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 02:55:42 PM »
But aye, it doesn't really fit the nature of the game to give something concrete. It doesn't really take much to come up with some sort of a pseudo-scientific explanation for everything at the end, but that obliterates the effect the game's based around.

Mm, I agree with silver about keeping the simplicity. I think most of the addons this update should be centered around alternate progression lines as opposed to lumping everything into one big mess -- this way it'd keep both simplicity and new happenstances like many of Thunder's suggestions. :)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2011, 10:09:46 PM »
Also, after the fire, the bed Leah sleep on will fall to the first floor. A huge hole will be at the bedroom on the 2nd floor, and you can see downstairs from it.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 02:54:46 AM »
Hehe. You could add that you can hop from that hole on that bed bellow.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 03:34:20 AM »
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

I approve.

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 06:58:10 AM »

That's so stupid! Don't they know that "cheep" is a sound that a bird makes! What kind of classmates do you have? :P