Author Topic: Upcoming The Mirror Lied new re-release  (Read 10759 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Upcoming The Mirror Lied new re-release
« on: June 12, 2011, 02:44:29 AM »

Between this and last year, TML apparently received over 20,000 traceable downloads, which is the most of any Freebird titles. I'm planning to add some new content to the game, then re-release the game with some advertising -- and that in itself will be a part of the advertising campaign for To the Moon and Freebird. An in-game trailer of TtM will probably be played after the credits. c:

I'm not planning to make any major project out of it, but mainly to patch things up (i.e. remove the level/equipment panels from menu), and add some details / maybe even multiple endings.

If there's anything you think would be cool to have in there, shout it out. :)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Re: Upcoming The Mirror Lied new re-release
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 05:53:15 AM »
Okay! Brainstorming:
I think it would be cool to have "Good end" "Bad end" and "True end". Maybe add some TML artwork from guys who posted it here. Maybe one or two new songs if there will me multiple endings.

Anyway Reives: You made my hyped with happines :P
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 12:35:45 PM »
It should be revealed that Birdy flew them both to French Polynesia for beach-side daiquiris and black pearl diving.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 07:47:55 PM »
Yay, include more mysterious crazy scary stuff!
I always had the feeling you could have included even more of those.

Just to throw in some random ideas:

- once when you enter the basement, you enter a closed (dead?) garden area instead
- once you wake up you and your bed will be downstairs. After you go sleep there, it will return to its old position. (that should be a nice one for the creepy factor)
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 09:04:18 PM »
The bed location thing is pretty interesting. The garden thing would be pretty mind-screwy, but it'd break the "confined" theme. The multiple endings could definitely be applied, e.g. provide a way to destroy birdie before it arrives. Which would be the bad ending, of course, as the good ending would obviously be for it to arrive and then take Leah to French Polynesia.

Ah, I'm definitely gonna add mouse support for it.

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 11:43:53 PM »
Shoot, was gonna re-download this to freak my sister out again. She saw the part where the house was on fire and thought the game was possessed! Haha, good times, good times. XD The game itself was mind blowing enough, if you're gonna re-release it, can't wait to see the differences.

Maybe like in the credits of the endings, you can have scary pictures, like what Birdy looks like or som dark corridor of the house...........or maybe a bloody teddy bear. Gasp! *runs away*
Check out my art stuff! :D http://niorichi-art.tumblr.com/

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 06:53:11 AM »
Okey, add the bed thing and skip the garden idea :)

More ideas:

- after one time you wake up, everything is shaky (like an light earthquake shock every 30 seconds)
- to add another puzzle element and give the title a meaning:
Add a mirror somewhere, first when you look at it you will see a closeup-view of yourself, later on you will see a platypus doll instead (leave this out if you want, thats just for fun  :seraismile:) and the next time you click it you will see some piano notes in the mirror. Playing this on a piano will trigger a new event set, which you will need anyway when you want to have multiple endings.
(Btw the piano shouldnt produce any sound when played before)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 12:48:48 AM »
I'll definitely try to add some interesting touch to the credits, Angel -- I mean, I'd need to try to make people wait after credits to see the TtM teaser anyway. :p And those are great ideas, Path & Thunder! I think I'll indeed try to incorporate them. It may be too literal to have a mirror in there, though. Hm, I think the fire place may actually be used as the entrance to a new room.

Today I finished incorporating complete mouse support + mouse-over icons to the current game content. Gonna try to start adding new stuff in there tomorrow. :pewpewpew:

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 03:43:07 PM »
^If you need a beta tester I probably got herpes zoster... If that turms out to be true I have at least 14 days of quarantine.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Storm Obsession

• Tier 6
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 09:05:02 AM »
I am absolutely in love with the bed idea that Thunder came up with. :O And the music note one.
And the whole idea that TML will be made even creepier.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 06:42:35 PM »
I'm glad when I can help :)

Some more ideas, just check if there is something useful in there:

- floor that is "about to break"

- You could also add a room with one side so dark that you cant see everything in it.
If you try to enter that area Leah will for the first time show some emotion - stepping away being scared.
If you don't give a answer why she is scared it will be creepy and you could even add something like you have to go near this area to do something while hearing the pulse.
Though I am not sure if it would be good to let Leah show some emotion.

- the filled bucket/bathtube's water having a little colour change (green?purple?overused red?)

- a piece bitten off from the bread on the table after some while

- a possibility to use the second gun shot otherwise (-> other ending?)

- something really big/heavy or unexpected like a stone statue suddenly being in a room after absence (thats 2/3 wtf and 1/3 creepy), if its a statue you could let it cry later on

- a broken radio, if you can somehow manage to hear something, it will let you hear the following message from an unknown person "...If anybody is there..Please answer me!..Please!..."*broken again*
Of course you cannot answer without a radio station.

- once - if the music box is off - you will hear music played on the piano upstairs, when coming near the door its ending in an instant, you hear steps and a door shut, but you will find no one in your room or the bathroom.

- suddenly...there are purple hats...everywhere...Lunair sitting in the middle of the mess laughing hysterically..now that would be creepy, wouldn't it?  :hatsale!:

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 04:17:02 PM »
I'm glad when I can help :)
Some more ideas, just check if there is something useful in there:

- You could also add a room with one side so dark that you cant see everything in it.
If you try to enter that area Leah will for the first time show some emotion - stepping away being scared.
If you don't give a answer why she is scared it will be creepy and you could even add something like you have to go near this area to do something while hearing the pulse.
Though I am not sure if it would be good to let Leah show some emotion.
- a piece bitten off from the bread on the table after some while
- a possibility to use the second gun shot otherwise (-> other ending?)
- a broken radio, if you can somehow manage to hear something, it will let you hear the following message from an unknown person "...If anybody is there..Please answer me!..Please!..."*broken again*
Of course you cannot answer without a radio station.
- once - if the music box is off - you will hear music played on the piano upstairs, when coming near the door its ending in an instant, you hear steps and a door shut, but you will find no one in your room or the bathroom.

Some of these are pretty interesting :D I can't wait for the re-release; I think The Mirror Lied might be my favorite game :D (that or Quintessence :P). When do you think the new version will be out?

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 04:22:49 PM »
In 2 weeks probably. c: Gotta get the TtM trailer done first, then include it in the new TML as well as youtube it.

And thanks a lot for the ideas, Thunder! There're definitely some awesome ones in there. :) I'll certainly be including some, though there probably won't be time for too much new content. Either way, looking forward to getting it worked out!

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 12:02:07 AM »
I think the radio should appear after the house "burns" down. Though honestly the suggestions Thunder made would make it more of a horror game than a wtf-am-I-playing game. As for the bread on the table thing, as well as the piano thing, it detracts from the feeling that you're alone in the house.

Also, Leah showing emotion once would feel... thrown in if not shown again, wouldn't it? Like the microscope, it felt like something that was just there to make everything interactive (though I kind of liked the microscope :D)

We could get a panorama of some tall buildings and make it so that you can look out the window. Over time, when some of the continents disappear, the buildings also disappear. And maybe we could even show the entire house disappear in the ending scene.
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 10:23:52 AM »
I think the radio should appear after the house "burns" down. Though honestly the suggestions Thunder made would make it more of a horror game than a wtf-am-I-playing game. As for the bread on the table thing, as well as the piano thing, it detracts from the feeling that you're alone in the house.

Also, Leah showing emotion once would feel... thrown in if not shown again, wouldn't it? Like the microscope, it felt like something that was just there to make everything interactive (though I kind of liked the microscope :D)

We could get a panorama of some tall buildings and make it so that you can look out the window. Over time, when some of the continents disappear, the buildings also disappear. And maybe we could even show the entire house disappear in the ending scene.

The ringing telephone or the breaking glass at the end are also things that would happen in horror games.
If I remember correctly the telephone also moves its place one time, leaving you to think "who the playtypus moved it?"
But you are right that you shouldn't be just feeling "oh alright I'm fighting versus some evil in this house",
so there shouldn't be too much leaving that impression - just enough to leave you puzzled.

About the emotion, it may be feel thrown in, but things that happen only once also can make you think about it. "Why was it there?" In this case it's good if it's leading to the conclusion that you have no conclusion.

If you add a window it could also break the confined-theme.
But it may be interesting if the outside would change.
Alright this house is standing in a big city...uhm not anymore now its a forest. Wtf now I only see the front of a waterfall through my window!?