Author Topic: A script that lets you walk around while a text box is up. (XP)  (Read 5745 times)

dinnerordie17

• Tier 3
  • Current Mood: happy happy
I posted about this somewhere else and I thought I might ask around here as well, mainly because I think a script like this would be useful for almost any game.

I really really need a script that allows the player to walk around if a text box is up (it can be toggled) rather then even pressing enter the script allows a time to be set, and when that time is expired the text will dissapear (or be replaced by the next box)

I really really really really want something like this BAD! I want to be able to make an rpg game, where you can be in a room, and 2 people can be having a conversation, but you don't need to stick around or even read it, you can just walk around while they talk and text boxes come up.

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
  • Only the blind can see.
  • Current Mood: worried worried
Re: A script that lets you walk around while a text box is up. (XP)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 09:14:38 AM »
Ccoa's UMS

I'm too lazy to actually try out what you're saying, but create a random event and name it "text1" or whatnot, make it "Parallel Process". The rest of what you're saying is in the demo.

If you need more explanation, I'll post a how-to later on.

Come help us out!

dinnerordie17

• Tier 3
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 10:24:27 AM »
Ah thanks, I'll try this out now and see how it works out.

dinnerordie17

• Tier 3
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »

Well I tried out something like this, I'm probably way off what you had in mind but it isn't working the way I wanted to, the text is in the right place but I still have to press enter to make it progress, and I can't walk around while it's up.

I could probably get the effect I wanted with Custom Graphics of text appearing over characters... but please there must surely be a less elaborate way.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:56:27 AM by dinnerordie17 »

talia

• Tier 7
  • Hate is easy, love takes courage.
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
you cant walk because the event is set to auutorun you should change it to parallel process to walk around while the text appears.
you should also erase the event after it executes or it will repeat itself.
use the erase event command at the end.
About the Enter thing you should use this code  \w[1]  at the end of every message and  replace 1 by any constant you like.
If its 1 then the window will close after one second and the next dialog etc will appear so you wont need to use enter.
The constant determines how long to wait.

Press F 11 and see the codes in the UMS script in case I am confusing you more :P

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:09:44 PM by talia »

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 05:41:58 PM »
But parallel process just means that you can walk around while the event is running. You'll still freeze while the text box is open, won't you?

Sarkilas

• Tier 6
  • That guy
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 06:58:16 PM »
But parallel process just means that you can walk around while the event is running. You'll still freeze while the text box is open, won't you?
With the default system, this would indeed be the case. But with the UMS it will bypass the temporary message procs when placed in a parallel process. I have never actually tried it, but that's how it is meant to be done, anyway.

Also a quick reference to the \w[] command. It bases on frames (multiplied by 2 as the event wait frames work). 20 frames will be equal to one second in this case. Using \w[1] would instantly close the window when the text has been written.

In addition, using Erase Event will make the event re-appear every time you transfer to the map from another map. Just stating that you'll need to activate another page to force it not to run again.

Need scripting help? Toss me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
Also able to help with anything RMXP related. Please do not hesitate to ask.

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
  • Only the blind can see.
  • Current Mood: worried worried
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »

Well I tried out something like this, I'm probably way off what you had in mind but it isn't working the way I wanted to, the text is in the right place but I still have to press enter to make it progress, and I can't walk around while it's up.

I could probably get the effect I wanted with Custom Graphics of text appearing over characters... but please there must surely be a less elaborate way.

As talia said, use Parallel Process. I'll have to refute her on the Erase Event thing though: use self-switches instead.

Come help us out!

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 10:52:52 PM »
It's self switches if you want it to only say it once. If you want it to run every time you go into the map, you use erase event.

Sark: Huh, that's interesting. I don't really use Ccoa's Message Script, though, so I wouldn't really know :seraisweat:

dinnerordie17

• Tier 3
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 12:11:33 AM »
Hmmm this is how I set it up:

I no longer need to press enter to make the text progress, but I still am unable to move while it is up.

Rayen

• is on an emotional roller-coaster.
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Forum Semi-Lurker
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 03:12:20 AM »
Nn.. Changing line 1771 from
Code: [Select]
$game_temp.message_window_showing = trueto
Code: [Select]
$game_temp.message_window_showing = falseinstead seems to work. But the next message window you activate through another event will end up at the last event that a message was assigned to, unless you assign it to the new event.

-----
That smile you see upon my face? That's nothing more than just a mask.

talia

• Tier 7
  • Hate is easy, love takes courage.
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 05:22:19 AM »
With the default system, this would indeed be the case. But with the UMS it will bypass the temporary message procs when placed in a parallel process. I have never actually tried it, but that's how it is meant to be done, anyway.

Also a quick reference to the \w[] command. It bases on frames (multiplied by 2 as the event wait frames work). 20 frames will be equal to one second in this case. Using \w[1] would instantly close the window when the text has been written.

In addition, using Erase Event will make the event re-appear every time you transfer to the map from another map. Just stating that you'll need to activate another page to force it not to run again.
Thats interesting thanks,
Kind of a noob at scripting so I assumed it would be in seconds :P

Rayen

• is on an emotional roller-coaster.
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Forum Semi-Lurker
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 01:42:31 PM »
@ Dinner: Uh.. So did you try the line change I suggested, and did it work or not?

-----
That smile you see upon my face? That's nothing more than just a mask.

dinnerordie17

• Tier 3
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 09:23:06 AM »
Oh jeez sorry it took me so long to reply, I tried it and I still can not move around while the text box is up, I'm thinking my only choice might be a Char graphic based system of text boxes at times.