Author Topic: Discussion of Theories/Thoughts about the Story [Spoilers]  (Read 51457 times)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
So...

What are your thoughts on the matter?  That is, what sense do you think all of this makes?  What are your theories about what happened in the game?  Care to show us what you discovered?

Screenshots welcome.

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
Re: Discussion of Theories/Thoughts about the Story [Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:52:59 PM »
I seriously have NO idea what I just played through. Now I hate that freaking song, XD. Did anyone else get a more positive reaction?

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 02:50:27 PM »
Well, it did LOOK really pretty. And my hunch is some of the stuff was kind of complicated to work out, so overall it bodes well for Quintessence.  :nairstare: After I read the disclaimer, I was expecting something like the wastebasket story pointless, but kudos to Kan for carving out an entirely new genre of pointless! :)

However, I decided that it does have a moral. "Don't try to shoot the bird that carries you." You, know kind of like, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."  ???

This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »
lol, yeah, good moral, XD

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 04:48:52 PM »
I just feel the need to bring a post from Kemuri on .org to here:

Quote from: Kemuri
It's not very clear what happens, it leaves a lot up to the player to decide what everything means.

Like for me, personally, I want to be a game developer, that's my dream, and I know it'll probably never happen. My parents would never support it, and they just want me to have a regular job that pays well, and doesn't risk my future. For me, the birdie was like my dream, the house was the confines of the world. The person calling/emailing was my dad telling me to kill my "birdie" and stay in the "house". Watering the plant was all the effort I've poured into getting out of the "house". The fire was the daily problems of life that are always blown out of proportion in the moment, but all you really need to do is sleep them off and those huge problems suddenly disappear. In the end, I'm living my dream (flying with the birdie, above the house) but I'll never be able to make it all the way to the end of my life living that dream. By choosing the dream instead of the safer path in life, I've pulled the trigger on my future.

This is probably nothing like what you were trying to convey, and maybe I'm reading far too deeply into things, but my point is that every single person who plays this game will get something different out of it. There is no universal "answer" even if that's what you intended. The games' ambiguity forces the player to draw from their own experiences.

This will make an amazing game for some, and  leave many others scratching their heads wondering what the heck just happened.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 04:54:48 PM »
That's cool and everything, and I know you've said it doesn't exactly have a point. But, seriously, what were you thinking when you made this? I can't imagine it was meant to be quite that random.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 04:58:16 PM »
I don't think I said it doesn't have a point (if I did, oops? :p ); I think I said that the player might go "Did this have a point?"

It's more or less made for interpretation, with a few guided lines.

???
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:25:38 AM by Reives »

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 04:59:08 PM »
dude, if he got all that meaning from your game, he's going to have an easy time with collage English classes, XD

@Reives, so, you didn't really have a point? Just creepy(ish) randomness?

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 05:02:45 PM »
Hm? That's not what I said at all.
Classical linear story-driven RPGs require a set, crystal clear plot to have a point, but this is not the same. It has no defined story by me, that's certain - but its point is to be on the extreme end of the scale as far as ambiguity goes, for the sake of a possibly refreshing experiment of interpretation for some.

The girl had no face.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 09:23:43 PM by Reives »

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 05:07:50 PM »
You didn't say you didn't have a point, but you have implied that you didn't intend for it to mean any one thing in particular.

But I'm not asking what your point was, I'm asking what made you choose to make this? Was it just practice, and you wanted to make something, anything simple to play through and try a few new things? Was it an allegory like the Kemuri's post, or was it a game that if you read enough into it you can discern a meaningful story?

Obviously, there's a bit of confusion as to what people are drawing from the game, but I want to know, what went into the game.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »
I admit that Kemuri's post actually was one of the things that I related it as myself, albeit it's far from all its possibilities. If you read enough into it, you certainly can discern meaningful stories. The quoted post was one example.

It is what you think it is. If you think it's horror, then it might be creepy. If you think that there was no point, then there was no point. If you think that it's a metaphor, then it was a metaphor.

The way I myself approached it as far as making it go. . . I don't really have much to say about it, to be honest. I aimed for a few possible stories to be derived from it, yet leaved enough gap to allow other interpretations. Again, I believe that it is both the beauty and ugly of it at the same time.

I was inspired by a comedy short when I decided to make this. Its name was "Why the ___ children didn't come to dinner" (forgot what was in the blank); and strangely it creeped the hell out of me even though it was a "comedy" short (I still don't see how it was comedy genred) because it was very ambiguous with open spaces, and I kept thinking into it to derive my own story - which ended in a creepy manner. Not that the story (or what is in place of it) of that and this are similar, but I was intrigued by the feeling I received after watching that. That was one of the main pushes for me to start this.  :vikonsmile:

Here's the .org thread since it seems to be relatively active, and might have some interesting insights now and then:
http://www.rmxp.org/forums/index.php?topic=47870.0

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 09:31:23 PM »
Apparently this game is doing wonders for marketing. We have SIX new members today! I'm pretty sure that's a record.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 12:47:26 AM »
Okay, so here's part of what I think.

It's pretty much like Reives said.  There is a point, but what the game means to you depends on how you interpret things.  Every element is like a symbol.  If you examined everything in every room, and paid careful attention to all details, something will come out of it all.  You'll get something.  It may be clear, it may not.  It's still not very clear for me, but the post that Reives quoted makes some really good points, and the poster made his own interpretation of the events, which is what I think is intended in games like this.  I don't consider this game to be scary, but rather, I consider it to be mysterious and/or symbolic.  Everything is put together so well, that it feels like you're reading a short story or poem full of metaphors, where YOU are the girl without a face, and from the elements given, you are offered to make your own story.

What it means, it might as well remain a mystery.

When I started playing, I thought, "Here is this girl, all alone in her world that consists of a considerably small space.  She is not free to go wherever she wants... and can only see the sky through those windows.  Where are her parents?  Who are they?  And more importantly, WHO IS SHE?  Why is she alone?  How is she to survive in a place like that, and what can she do in order to leave it?"  That's how it starts for me.  I hope to re-play this and find answers sooner or later.  I am still very intrigued, because I want to make some sense out of this game.  Call it an obsession, but I am determined to find answers.

Edit: Here is something I wrote.  I am writing more later.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 02:54:02 AM by Arwym Starlight »

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]

Demosthenes2k8

• Tier 1
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:01:54 PM »
A birdie flew over the roof yesterday. He said he'll fly over again today.

But he landed on water.
Hi birdy. Are you here?

Tick, tock, tick, tock.
What are you waiting for, birdie?

We had a deal, Leah.
Kill the birdie.

This game is less of a game than a description of reality.
It's the way each person views it differently, rather than how each person sees similarities. To me, it's saying that as the world changes Leah has to choose to
Spoiler: show
 kill herself to kill the birdie, who is, like the house, a figment of her mind representing death and despair.

Sagishi

• Tier 1
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 07:38:41 AM »
Oah, I loved the game ^.^ I agree with Arwyn's theory in that it is what you want it to be. Anyway, it was a nice diversion from work, now back to those face sets and concept art.

:pewpewpew:
BTW, this inspired me to work on some Lunair fan-art, dunno why.