Author Topic: Competitive games and the rage  (Read 10399 times)

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Competitive games and the rage
« on: January 18, 2011, 06:05:04 PM »
I'm playing quite some competitive team online games (atm League of Legends) and I've experienced that in all of them a very high percentage of random people you are grouped with are raging with an incredible amount of anger when losing - blaming everyone or just a specific target they think that he is at fault.
Today I had a match where I misclicked one spell and one of my teammates was flaming me like I've just killed his daughter.
That's when I start thinking, am I the only normal one in here? What the *** is wrong with these guys?

How do you think about this? Is it because there are a lot of younger people playing it? Is it due to the anonymity that makes it easy to put the blame on someone else. Or may it be a common problem among humans?
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
Re: Competitive games and the rage
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:26:36 PM »
I think it's just because it's the internet. The majority of online communities do not reveal the location from which a person is playing/posting from. Nor are they obligated to reveal their true name, age, anything. As a result, this feeling of being anonymous makes a change in people's mentalities, and many people think that it's okay to say whatever they want simply because no one knows them. The person they flame may never know who the flamer is or where they live, only that the flamer is a douche in real life who uses the internet as an outlet for his/her unpopularity in school (an example, I'm not saying that every flamer is like this).

There's also a couple of other factors that come into play here, mainly the portion of "competitive" in competitive gaming. To put it simply, competition causes adrenaline. Adrenaline causes a rise in the "I wanna win" feeling. Said feeling causes them to be a try hard. Said try hard then loses and refuses to take the blame upon him/herself. Not only that, nowadays it feels that humans no longer want to improve themselves, but strive to use other people for their own benefits.

So, my final answer is that it comes down to three main factors: Internet anonymity, human nature, and natural competitive adrenaline. Often people simply don't want to enjoy a game and have fun. They want to justify their playing the game by being competitive.
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
  • Only the blind can see.
  • Current Mood: worried worried
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Please don't blame it on us younger players. I sure as heck don't insult people for mistakes, I do them all the time. I will, however, backlash if someone does something outright rude (the worst thing I've done is quit mid-dungeon,  I'm not the type to go around hacking accounts).

I think that the cruelest people are simply the most vocal. Look around, and you'll see some really awesomely nice people. The fact that it's online and fantasy doesn't help with the bad people though. I just read about a guild which crashed an in-game funeral for someone who really did die, and the overwhelming response was "serve them right it's a game" :/ While irl, if someone crashed a funeral they'd probably be arrested.

My advice, find a good guild. I joined a guild which had no open recruiting, only friends, and it was the greatest in-game decision I made. They are really awesome, and despite having a high level difference between players (from 100 to 3000) everyone still participates and has a good time. It can be hard to find a good one though, it took me 3 tries and the last one was pure luck when a friend invited me.

I generally solo, but when I played Vindictus, a game which makes it pretty easy to party, I started partying. My experience varied widely, from those who ignored me when I asked to complete simple missions and went out of their way to prevent me from completing it, to those who went out of their way to help me to do complex tasks that wouldn't help them at all, only me. I guess in game everything becomes more exagerrated, it's a lot easier to do something good and a lot easier to be cruel.

Come help us out!

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »
Please note that this problem goes far beyond League of Legends or whatever game(s) you are talking about.

It's not that I don't agree with you, silversun, I really do agree. However, to say that the young ones don't at least contribute to the issue is still wrong. For example, take one of the most popular consoles of our time: XBox 360. Now look up kids on xbox live on youtube. Over 20 pages worth of videos show up (I'm on pg 28 and it's still going).

While it's wrong to blame the kids entirely, omitting them from the problem is wrong as well. The fact of the matter is is that more and more kids are joining in online competitive gaming (not surprisingly in rated M games such as Halo and CoD) and ruining the experience for the people who actually bought the game to enjoy it. It's also those kinds of kids who think they are the best at everything and get mad at people who are better than them, often resorting to mindless swearing and using the word hacker over and over again (you won't believe how many times I've been called a hacker in CoD MW2 PC). Once again, this ruins the online competitive experience and reduces it to having to listen to 10-15 year olds swearing their heads off and making rude comments about your sexuality, race, or religion, regardless if it's true or not. Also, death threats. It also seems if that the kids are the ones who want to abuse game exploits (MW2/BO boosting, 10th prestige lobbies, etc. etc. So far I've been lucky as to not have found any little kids on Starcraft 2)

At this point I've only addressed XBox Live. I'm not sure why, but it seems to be the more popular for little whiners. They are in large number in the PC community, from what I've observed.

It's these kinds of kids who ruin the games we play. While little kids who actually show the above qualities are in a small number in the flaming/trolling community, it only takes one to ruin a game for a thousand people.

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 03:53:07 PM »
I see your point, but I dislike your generalizing. I am 14 and while I get pretty crazy here on the forums, I draw the line at insulting people. If I dislike something or someone, I stop playing and switch to a different server/channel whatever. And I've seen plenty my age or younger who do the same. Yes, there are idiotic kids. But there are also large numbers of idiotic adults. And lots of normal kids, and normal adults.

Also...how do you know they are kids? o.o Perhaps xbox live has a mechanic I am unaware of, but in all the mmorpgs I know of you really can't tell how old people are.

Come help us out!

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 04:04:45 PM »
I'm sorry about generalizing, since I myself am 15. What I am saying is that there are enough of the "bad" kids to ruin the image of the "good" kids, as well as ruin the experience for the people who are actually old enough to play the game.

On Xbox Live, and, in fact, most competitive games (once again, MW2), has a system of voice chatting. For Xbox Live in particular, you can send voice messages. I think you can tell why it's easy to tell. What's also funny is that quite a few of the people who actually have mics are also little kids :-X As I said prior, no player is obligated to give their real age. In mmos, sometimes players who have really weird handle names/screen names (ex. Hip McChicken) and/or play in a really stupid way can be assumed to be kids.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 01:38:06 PM »
In a lot of games most of the players are far over your age.
While young age/puberty may explain some cases, this is only a part of it.
I guess it's the human nature that it's easier to blame someone else than to accept your own mistakes and it's even easier if you are teamed up with people you probably never will meet again.

Let's add another question to keep the discussion running:
How would you engage such a rude player (in your team->so you have to play with him or fail)?

Ignore him? Try to convince him he is being rude?
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
I don't try and convince him. This is a normal conversation between me and someone on MW2 (when they blame me for hacking when I'm not)
A: mepwnn u hack
me: you just suck. please, cry more.
A: DUDE STOP HACKING YOU NOOB.
me: Your crying just serves to fuel my sadistic side. Continue.
A: you f**king suck, mepwnn
me: Achievement unlocked: Noobs can only cry 3/10
A: [some sexual joke here]
me: Mature, aren't we?
A: MEPWNN GO DIE IN A F***ING FIRE
me: I think my objective here is complete. But please, keep crying.
A has left the game
I start laughing hysterically.
Later:
A has invited you to become friends
I accept.
A: GET OWNED NOOB
me: get blocked, noob *blocks all communications with A*

But that's only for blame-people-better-than-you-for-hacking people

When it's someone who's being outright rude, I just ignore it. Chances are he's going to send what I said to A right back at me. Also, often times you won't see said rude person ever again.

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 09:28:35 PM »
When it comes to talking, I just ignore it, or if no one but the rude person is talking, turn off the chat channel he's talking on.

How do you guys handle griefing, though? With words, it's more of a sticks-and-stones sort of thing, but when they're actually trying to make you fail? (Even worse when you've just ran an hour long dungeon and he manages to kill everyone on purpose).-has had that happen-

Come help us out!

Dr. Zooks McCoy

• Tier 7
  • Dr. Rodney McKay's female sidekick
    • Soundcloud
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »
You guys think that's bad, you should see Balloono. S*** gets REAL.

Ferdk

• Tier 7
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • My YouTube channel
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 02:01:22 PM »
I hate this and is the reason why I quit League of Legends. Sure I can ignore people, but I'm supposed to be teaming with people to win? seems backwards to try to solo the game. And for the record is not that I sucked, I hated seeing other people who just started the game getting blamed for it. I actually did pretty good for the time I spent on it. Way more wins than losses and always 1st or 2nd in my team. Not bragging since it was at low levels, just for context that I'm not complaining because they blamed me XD

I don't get why people who can't accept others' mistakes want to play team games?

One thing I hate about this is that its contagious. It starts like someone mentioned before, the whiny people are just louder. And then it pollutes the whole community. I say this because I have friends that play this game. They turned into whiny foulmouthed crybabies, just like the rest of the LoL community. When you spend too much time on a community, some things start to look "normal", and b*tching seems to be normal in LoL.
My YouTube channel (VG Covers and stuff):
http://www.youtube.com/ferdk16

Rapture

• Tier 2
  • Current Mood: thoughtful thoughtful
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 06:59:24 PM »
I quit competitive gaming in general because of this. Especially LoL is full of idiots. I also left certain forums because the tone was that bad. I also think it's mainly the anonymity and safety that makes people loose all their manners on the internet. They would never say all those things if they were face to face. I play co-op and single player now and it's much less annoying.

Tumbles

• 海が私の心です。
  • Tier 7
  • I am who I am, but not yet.
    • Big Palooka
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 07:24:10 PM »
I think that competitive gaming will always have that sense of anger. It's just what competition does to people, it's the same with sport. We just need more online games that aren't competitive.

Seriously, I've made lots of friends in co-op and lots of enemies in deathmatches.

Spoiler: show

~

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 11:29:13 AM »
DayZ might be considered competitive game. From what I know you can spend hours in fear to move not to be killed 'cause respawn is random AND all your stuff will disappear.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Judedeath

• ~Insert Japanese things here~
  • Tier 7
  • JOHN-PEE-AIR!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 03:12:11 PM »
Rage at competitive L4D2 is what made me quit it, just cause I would get pretty mad about losing and it wouldn't be fun anymore.
Old River was as dead as a doornail, this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am about to relate.