Author Topic: Time-freeze game concept  (Read 5157 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Time-freeze game concept
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:12:14 PM »
I don't know if this is something that I'd eventually make, but just thought it might be cool to have as a game (the idea probably came from watching that movie Click and Death Note).

Essentially, due to some trivial and convoluted back-story that no one cares about, the player possesses a "time-stopping" device that could pause the entire world. However, the device could only pause time for say, 60 seconds at a time -- and there is a cool-down time before it can be used again.

Of course, the military/government or whatnot somehow became aware of its existence, and is on a mission to take the device from you by force.

So the game would revolve around not being captured by the government. Combat would be entirely different from the normal shooter games or whatnot, and would be more like a stealth-game -- You'd be trying to survive between the time-stop cool-down. And when it's up for use, you get 60 seconds to either escape/"vanish" from those who are on you, or kill the pursuers as if they are target dummies, or perhaps some kind of a psychological gambit to fool the pursuers, etc.

I haven't really thought too deep into the concept yet, but I think it has a lot of potential for something really interesting, and lots to think about. . . e.g. what would the government be able to do in terms of defenses against the existence of such a thing? To what extent can the owner of such a device affect the world?

(And hm, anyone know of anything similar that's already out there? Hopefully not, but I guess it's not that unlikely. :p )
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:17:53 PM by Reives »

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
Re: Time-freeze game concept
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »
I can't think of a game with a similar premise, but I do know that the government is almost always the antagonist. The government, the King's men, the military, Secret Service, corrupt police, or an abstract division within them that's so secret, only they know about themselves! I say the owner of the device should be running from journalists, the media, and religious zealots who are certain that the device's existence somehow contradicts the will of their god(s) or might corrupt their kids more than MTV. Cue scene where Rachel Emcee roundhouse kicks a paparazzi in the back of his frozen (temporally, not thermally) head and you've got yourself a game.

Although, the system sounds a bit like the one used on Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, but in that game your device worked more like a VCR remote (rewind, slow, fast forward, pause).

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 09:47:59 PM »
It sounds like an awesome idea, and if you could actually do that on RPG Maker, not only would I be so impressed, but I would play it, and love it forever.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 12:04:07 AM »
CAN you do something like that in RPGMaker? :salbrow: I can think of how you would freeze time (just have a button that turns off a switch which causes all events to stop moving while it's off), but I don't know how that would work with any other type of game play mechanics.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 01:21:43 AM »
What are you guys talking about? ._o Asking if it can be made in RM is like asking if it's possible to be 2D instead of 3D -- it's just an engine and you can program it anyway you want (and the character-controlled base framework can even be kept, unlike programming things from scratch e.g. hima's USG).

@Merlan: I agree; I was using "government and whatnot" in a tongue-in-cheek way. Definitely a good call, though; I'd play a game just to watch Rachel Emcee roundhouse kick a paparazzi in the face any day. I'll check out that Prince of Persia game.

Speaking of time concepts, I just remembered that there was a really interesting game where you can hop back in time and actually fight a boss alongside yourself (which was actually the only way to win against that boss). I forgot the title of it though, ack.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 04:34:24 PM »
Hehe I remembered Splinter Cell (legendary stealth action series) and F.E.A.R. (there you have ability to "slow time") when I read about this idea. I love stealth actions and king of all of them is Splinter Cell (though without time stoping device:D).
Great idea. If you wanna anything related to secret agents/agency, military stuff and special/black ops I think I am your man :P
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 12:03:14 AM »
I'll check out that Prince of Persia game.

Prince of Persia, Sands of Time is a classic game that is awesome in every single way. It is an awesome game and it is one of my favorites. (Be sure that it sis not the 2008 one, that one has no time aspect.)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 01:51:38 PM »
^I generally dislike these "continuations" of famous series. Included GTA, Prince of Persia or good old Duke Nukem. There is magic in pixel that can never be replaced by polygons. (Pixel generation Lance)
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 05:13:26 PM »
I love tricky sci-fi stuff  :-*
I would say go for it, but you have more ideas than you are able to create projects ^^
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.