Author Topic: Hey there.  (Read 6832 times)

Vivere

• Tier 2
Hey there.
« on: May 08, 2008, 05:41:30 AM »
I just wanted to quickly pop in to these boards, which I almost never do for any amateur-made game, to say that I came across and downloaded this RPG and from the moment I started playing it, I couldn't stop until I got to the end of chapter 8, which is more than I can say for most if not all amateur RPGs such as this. This is truly one of the greatest non-professional pieces of work I've ever had the privilege to experience. In fact, it's far better than a lot of professional RPGs I've played in my lifetime, and believe me...I've played a ton. I just want to say keep up the great work and I definitely look forward to playing all this game's chapters till its conclusion. :)

In the mean time, could anyone recommend some other amateur RPGs of this same caliber of professionalism that I can play while waiting for more Quintessence chapters?

AbsoluteBond

• Tier 3
Re: Hey there.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:25:37 AM »
I can't excatly say anything about calibre of professtionalism, but here are a few games you might want to try:

- A Blurred Line by Lysander86 - Classic game, best of its time.
- Alter A.I.L.A by Neo Kuriyo - Must try!
- Wraith by Neo Kuriyo (Untried)
- Three the Hard Way by iishenron - Different choices and effects!
- Love & War by Admiral Styles - Act 1 is good, with Act 2 in the making...
- Legacies of Dondoran - <Forgotten maker>
- The Way Episode 1-6 by Lun Calsari - An unbelivable series!
- Starless Umbra(Formally Dragon Heart) - <Forgotten maker>
- Final Fantasy Endless Nova - <Forgotten maker>
- Devil Hunter2: Seeker of Power - <Forgotten maker>
- With My Father's Sword by Brickroad (Untried)
- Romancing Walker - <Forgotten maker> - An RPG + dating sim
- Zephyrus and the Kingdom of Heaven - <Forgotten maker>
- Everlong - <A Community Project that is always being renewed>
- Laxius Power by Damienzeking
- Naufragar Crimson by Legacy001
- Rose Chronicles by Legacy001
- Beloved Rapture by Blind Mind
- Sunset over Imdahl - <Forgotten maker> - Who says you need 100+ maps to make a good game?
- Ara Fell - <Forgotten maker> (Untried)

Most of the games here have been tried by me, and they are pretty good... Strongly recommending AILA, Love & War, The Way, Starless Umbra (demo) and Naufragar Crimson.
~Dreaming about 'Naira~

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:36:52 AM »
Thank you for dropping by Vivere, and glad you enjoyed it so. :) At first I thought you were Rye/the maker of Memento Vivere, heheh.

And thanks for the detailed list, AbsoluteBond. I recognize some from there!

Vivere

• Tier 2
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 06:45:14 PM »
Hehe, yeah, I'm definitely not the maker of any RPG in rmxp, although I've tried to make one and failed before due to a lack of anyone to work with to keep me motivated and work off of each other. Doing things alone gets too tedious. However, I've always been interested in making a good RPG, but there's no way I could write a story like Quintessence  or other really good story driven games, so I know I'd have to have someone else write it or just make a non-story based game. (I'm a song writer and musician, so my brain is kind of wired in perfecting very small pieces of work instead of large scale things, lol) I've found that I was best at creating maps, and of course, I can make music, hehe.

Anyway, thanks for the list of RPGs. I have to say, I've played quite a few of them already, but there are definitely some I haven't, and will be checking out :)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 08:50:44 PM »
Ooh, that's cool; always nice to see a fellow musician. c:

somename

• Tier 2
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 10:19:27 AM »
I can't excatly say anything about calibre of professtionalism, but here are a few games you might want to try:

- Sunset over Imdahl - <Forgotten maker> - Who says you need 100+ maps to make a good game?

Most of the games here have been tried by me, and they are pretty good... Strongly recommending AILA, Love & War, The Way, Starless Umbra (demo) and Naufragar Crimson.

Woot, you have a good gaming taste :D
though I will add "Nigsek- Monster Tale" to the list(and delete Laxius Power, but maybe only I hated it <<).
And all of you HAVE TO play The Way and Love and War... NAW! D<

AbsoluteBond

• Tier 3
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 09:29:48 AM »

Woot, you have a good gaming taste :D
though I will add "Nigsek- Monster Tale" to the list(and delete Laxius Power, but maybe only I hated it <<).
And all of you HAVE TO play The Way and Love and War... NAW! D<
Thanks for the compliment, but its a matter of really playing through hundreds of amatuer games do you really understand how good these are...

Just to talk a little about LP: Well, LP wasn't the best of its time, but it was a pretty good game featuring tons of playable characters, and over 100+ hrs of gameplay. Though I would complain that its characters are too, well, fake, and unrealistic, though much of that is fixed in LP 2... Sadly, the third installation, while the demo was promising, turned out much worse than I expected, and left a pretty large emptiness in me after playing...Nothing was explained, the story-telling faltered at the last moment, a single-freaking map revealed spoilers (which I found out later was a joke)... The style of the game changed so abruptly in several scenes and instances (I will not elaborate since its been a long while... and I have no intention to put myself through the agony of playing through LP3 again...) I became confused, and lost interest. Due to some stupid pride as a LP fan, I forced myself to finish LP3, and finally let go of 'LP fan' status... LP and LP2 wasn't bad... Just not as well and not having an impact as strong as the others in the list.

Nigsek... How to start? I was pummeled like on the second day... And after restarting so many times, I really can't bring myself to continue... Or maybe its because I had exams then... Do you have a download link? I can't seem to find zip file containing the game in my HD... Thanks!

And, regarding 'The Way', I would advise newbies against trying it. It is a masterpiece, in terms of story-telling, game-play, plot and characters. After playing it, you will almost definitely find most, if not all, of the other games lacking. A good game to start with would be some of the following from the list:

I started replaying Romancing Walker again today... It was, indeed, as good as I remembered. A relatively serious backdrop and story, mixed with the occational comedy, with choices affecting your dating sim results... The replay value of this game is still as high as ever, even with the latest RMXP and RMVX out...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 09:32:43 AM by AbsoluteBond »
~Dreaming about 'Naira~

somename

• Tier 2
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 02:55:49 PM »
I never managed to finish LP... Well actually I couldnt force myself to continue playing after the first few mintus ._.

Here's a link for Nigsek: http://www.queenscourt.org/games/Nigsek.rar (And you really should try and finish it, If I remember correctly it's a really good game)

The Way is really the greatest game out there, because of this game I kinde find all of the games kinde... missing something, thats why I hate most RMXP games :x (expect for quintessence of course :p, and I guess few others) , Oh and did you get all of the endings? =o

Romancing Walker was indeed a cute game, I finished it like 5 times untill now, oh yea, and it was created by Flare.
Three The Hard Way isnt the best for newbies as well.... since its way too long x_x(though its great as well <3)

and btw, did you play LAW2 demo? =o (Oh wow, this post have too many differnt subjects :s)

Vivere

• Tier 2
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 12:13:47 AM »
I want to play the whole game of The Way but only the first chapter is offered on the official site for it as a direct download, and the torrent won't download. Could someone with the full game on their computer be kind and take a moment to upload it on megaupload or something? If not, no big deal :)

AbsoluteBond

• Tier 3
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 08:41:14 AM »
>somename
Spoiler
You mean the endings for The Way? Yup! Got all three! I like the 'Truth - Reality' ending though... Since 'Rhue' awakens to reality...'Truth - Love' ending with Lexus shows a pretty useless Rhue ending, since well, he can't really trust people, and doesn't mind living a lie... That's so unlike him in a way, since throughout the previous episodes, he's been pretty determined and stuff... And the final 'Truth - Philosophy' ending was pretty awesome, because the ending events clearly shows that every character you know about in The Way that plays a role is dead...

Three the Hard Way is pretty good, and not really long to me... Unless you really spend that many hours on fulfiling the side quests, which give little, or useless perks... The game itself is also non-linear, you know? Except for a fixed number of scenes, the number of PCs you have is dependent on the path you choose... Pretty effective, in terms of increasing re-playability...

LAW 2 demo was good, but I find the battles at the end a little too taxing... Since they enemies gang up on you, and they hit hard... I had made a suggestion to Admiral Styles to alter that part of the difficulty a little... On another note, having a Princess for Lavie's love rival is NOT a good idea...

>Vivere

All the downloads are found at the site:
http://www.crestfallen.us/download.html

Just in case, I've copied them out for you

Ep 1:
http://www.crestfallen.us/cgi-bin/topDownloads/download.pl?file=way1us.exe

Ep 2:
http://www.crestfallen.us/cgi-bin/topDownloads/download.pl?file=way2us.exe

Ep 3:
http://www.crestfallen.us/cgi-bin/topDownloads/download.pl?file=way3us.exe

Ep 4:
http://www.crestfallen.us/cgi-bin/topDownloads/download.pl?file=way4us.exe

Ep 5:
http://www.crestfallen.us/cgi-bin/topDownloads/download.pl?file=way5us.exe

Ep 6:
http://www.crestfallen.us/cgi-bin/topDownloads/download.pl?file=way6us.exe

Just paste them in your browser...
~Dreaming about 'Naira~

somename

• Tier 2
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:32:26 AM »
*Spoilers*

The "Reality" ending sucks! D<. Well, only because he killed Traziun ;;.
The "Love" ending was the "real" ending in is way, after all if you will follow the most comman thory it means Venge is back =o , and all of the side quests you had to do in order to get it were nice as well(the arena was really nice).
And the "Philosophy" ending was just great(because dead people on games is always nice ;p).

Well, about Three the Hard Way... im one of those people that try to find every single thing in a game(Including the weird things that at least Lun left in the editor)... so yea, I did all the side quests and killed all the Kaibutsu lords x.x, but even without it its a pretty long game, or its just feels like one o.o.

And I bet that in the end of LAW Lavie is going to be with Hughburt and Ryan with Sheri :p

*End of spoilers*

Vivere:
 Well here are few other games that I found on my computer that you might want to try as well:
The two other games made by Lysander86(And they are finished!)- "Book Of Three" and "The Blue Contestant".
The Legend Of The Philosophers Stone- Its kinde overrated, but its pretty nice as well, with custom battle and menu systems and such.
And well... I guess you can try Legion Saga as well, some people really like it(Im not sure if I like it or not o.o)

Vivere

• Tier 2
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 01:41:21 PM »
Aha, thanks Absolute. Also, thanks for all the recommendations guys. I can't find some of them, but /shrug, hehe. I'd like to play Love & War, but the site is apparently permanently gone, so..I hate to ask again, but does anyone have it on their computer?

somename

• Tier 2
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 02:58:14 PM »
Apperntly it's been moved: http://www.antiochforever.com/law/.
Just dont get scard by the screenshot there x_x;