Author Topic: Custom Sprite Head  (Read 3007 times)

xkazumix3

• Tier 3
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Custom Sprite Head
« on: October 30, 2010, 05:16:56 AM »
I just completed A head sprite for my character in a game i am currently working on.

Here is a preview.[I did not post the whole sprite to prevent ripping]

The tails in the walking sprite looks edgy, i know.  :seraisweat:
Since i am not a pro spriter like Luna or Rayen, I have to tweak around with content aware scale and free transform to make the hair fit, But i drew the little hair strands hanging below myself. Btw, the hair is a custom RO hair i made.(well, not completely it is actually inspired by this:

Here are ref pics:

Let me know what you think.  :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:40:50 PM by xkazumix3 »

Avarlie

• Tier 6
  • Current Mood: blank blank
Re: Custom Sprite Head
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 02:23:03 PM »
Umm its a little hard to judge without the body. No offence but without the body the dangly bits look like ant mouthparts  O_O ...  Overall I think it turned out really really good. I like the highlights and shading. Do the little hair strands hang down in front? If so maybe move them outwards a bit so they don't look like they're coming out of her chin and maybe make them a bit longer like in the reference pic. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Rayen

• is on an emotional roller-coaster.
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Forum Semi-Lurker
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:31:59 AM »
Ah, RO~ <3 Looks cute, but I have to agree with sleepingwolves. The front strands look awkward where they are right now.

It could also do with a LOOOT less colors. Seriously, wth. I'm reading ~256 different colors for the hair? O___O I'm sure you can cut that down to 10-15 or so. Sheesh. What graphics editing program are you using?

Edit: Wut? I'm a "pro"? :blush:

-----
That smile you see upon my face? That's nothing more than just a mask.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 01:32:41 AM »
Speaking of which, is there a way to automatically reduce the palette to a limit of x different colours in Photoshop or whatnot?

Rayen

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Forum Semi-Lurker
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 01:36:06 AM »
Yeah, I just found out a way a couple minutes ago. In Photoshop, you need to go to Image > Mode > Indexed Color. I easily got the hair (excluding red hair ribbons) from ~256 to 10 colors by selecting "Local (Selective)" for Palette, "10" for Colors, and "None" for Forced.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 01:37:40 AM by Rayen »

-----

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 01:39:19 AM »
Whoa, awesome. I got some tilesets that are pixelated intentionally, but their enormous palette makes the tileset size gigantic; this'd fix thing up.

xkazumix3

• Tier 3
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 08:32:10 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, i didn't realise that the strands look akward, but I will see what I can do about it. I didn't really use alot of colours for the hair, unless you are refering to the head excluding the tails. They are probably a result of the resizing and the fact that i used gaussian blur to make the hair look less sharp. And I use Photoshop CS4 by the way.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 11:36:23 AM »
X.X NEVER blur/enlarge/rotate/apply any filters on pixel art. It ruins it. If you want it to be smoother, just lower the contrast of certain areas next time. Poor pixel head...

Rayen

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Forum Semi-Lurker
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 02:10:36 PM »
If you're going to resize pixel art, make sure you have selected "Nearest Neighbor (preserve hard edges)" for Image Interpolation under Preferences (Ctrl+K) or Image Size (Alt+Ctrl+I) near the bottom of the window.

And like LB said NEVER do anything like blurring and such to pixel art. It drastically increases the amount of colors, making the filesize a heck of a lot larger than if you didn't.

-----

xkazumix3

• Tier 3
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 10:26:50 AM »
Thanks for the tips Rayen, it helped alot.

Here's the complete sprite, I managed to fix the strands but i don't realy think i can do anything about the colours, but i think it could work out since we are viewing the pixels from a distance

[Rip this, R.I.P to you]

Credit:
Sithjester for dress
Mack for back ribbon
Toranerko for Shawl