Author Topic: Astral Transparency: Cole's Gate - Demo Version 2.00!  (Read 15938 times)

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Astral Transparency: Cole's Gate - Character Portraits Updated
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »
If you're talking about how completed the game is, the only answer I have is barely. :P It'll be something like just Chapter I out of the whole Quintessence. But demos are usually there to provide a sneak peek of the game after all.

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 08:59:07 PM »
Scripting for the demo is all finished! Now I just need the last CG finished, and some testing, and it'll be ready. Stay tuned! :)

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 06:26:57 AM »
The Demo is here! Version 1.0.

Get it here:
http://www.soyasushi.webs.com/colesgate.htm

Enjoy. :)

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
  • Only the blind can see.
  • Current Mood: worried worried
Re: Astral Transparency: Cole's Gate - Demo Updated!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 05:27:05 PM »
Played! I quite enjoyed it, can't wait for its completion.

Praise:
-*Loved* your character art. It's very well done. Especially the last scene- I hope there are a lot more of those throughout the game! I also liked the custom sprites, quite well done.
-Although I can't really judge the story, demo was too short, I had some mixed feelings. I think my issues would be resolved when I play more, so overall, I'd say it's good. (Btw, is Cole a girl or a guy? I honestly can't tell o.o)

Criticism:
-Maps aren't bad, but could be improved. I think a little more detail would be nice. :)

Pretty short demo, but it was enjoyable, will definitely play the full game.

Come help us out!

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 05:40:40 AM »
(Btw, is Cole a girl or a guy? I honestly can't tell o.o)

Yay, that means I've succeeded. XD

Maps aren't bad, but could be improved. I think a little more detail would be nice.

I had to map everything myself, so yeah, I definitely have room for improvement. :)

Thanks for the critique, silver!

talia

• Tier 7
  • Hate is easy, love takes courage.
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 08:44:07 AM »
I played the Demo...I simply loved the story!
I cant wait for the next one...!

Your handmade faces were amazing but i was wondering if you would make their background transparent,
In my opinion they would look even better with a transparent background like that green haired servant girl.
(sorry i forgot her name ...i played the game 2 days ago but my internet was not available back then...so i have forgotten a few things)

Maps could be improved a little.
The menu system ( or whatever its called) was beautiful!.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 06:00:56 PM »
As I do with a lot of games that need editing, I'm gonna post as I see 'em:

title screen. Looks good, though the crystal sprites need some work. It's especially noticeable with the black one. The size of the grid isn't big enough, so there wasn't enough room for a fading effect in the crystal glow and it just cuts off. At least, that's what I'm assuming is happening.
Intro. Did the music just cut out suddenly and then start playing again like a second later? :o
In the scene where the guy is running away from the guards, there's a period of time after the guards show up where they don't do anything before they separate.
I really like the music.
And the menu system! Did you make that yourself? :o (One thing I should mention, though. When you go back a menu (like from the magic menu to the main menu), the menu bars slide back in instead of just showing up. It's technically fine, but it might get annoying after awhile to have to keep waiting for the menu to set itself up again everytime you go back a menu? If that makes sense? just a suggestion, though)
Mmmm, two things about the waking people up thing: 1) Everyone is sleeping with their eyes open. 2) you talk to the chef and everyone just magically wakes up and teleports out of their bed? :salbrow: It'll take a bit more eventing, but it looks a lot better to be able to talk to everyone and actually have them walk out of bed :P
You do it again when you talk to Vincent(?) Don't have people magically teleport! :angry: Unless, of course... they can teleport? But i should know that if they can :seraisweat:
I like the conversation with Lorenzo :D
This is somewhat just my taste, but if I walk up a door, I shouldn't come out a door in the next map facing down ::)
If I run into the gate at the way bottom of the castle(?), then walk left after the scene, she still says not to run in the door. this can easily be fixed by checking a condition whether or not the player is facing down, or just moving the event down one tile (and putting it on collision?)
From there, If I go out the first door to my left, I go outside (facing right ::)). If I walk down one square, it takes me back to where I just came from.

Gotta go for now. More feedback later!

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 09:10:47 AM »
Thanks for the comments ^^

@talia: Sorry I can't make the background transparent, since there are also other white parts of the picture, and it isn't really clean enough to make transparency out of. So I've left it as it is. And the menu system wasn't made by myself ^^

@vasha: For most of the edits you are requesting, I appreciate them but being the noob I am, I'm at a loss of how to do anything about them. ^^;
- teleporting out of bed: I was lazy, and it was supposed to be comic relief anyway (as seen by Ray going "Wow, that was fast") :P
- for the castle going right and left, it's because those doors are left and right from the main gate respectively, but you're coming out from the side with the back gate. So it's switched horizontally.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
I have a bit of experience with RMXP (not as much as Reives and all that, of course, but still some :P) So I think I may be able to help with some of it? What kind of stuff exactly don't you know how to do?
-Teleporting out of bed: Nnn, it was a bit funny, but it seems kind of like it's not really supposed to be a funny game, so it was a bit out of place.
-for the castle going right and left: if it's the back door... well, first of all, it looks like it's next to the front door. And if it's the back door, why don't you just have the map rotated (so the left door is actually on the left side of the map and the right door is actually on the right side of the map? :P)

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 01:22:44 AM »
I would love if someone could help me with the mapping actually. I'm really a complete noob.

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2011, 09:22:51 AM »
I hope you don't mind me being frank, but I think to me the worst part was seeing so much RTP used, largely because after you've played dozens of games it gets boring. My favorite map in the entire game was the Naramura one, as the frosted effect she used just seemed so fitting, where quite a few of the other maps I could have been playing any game I'd played before, it didn't seem to connect me to *your* game. Seeing as there are a lot of free resources in the Internet that are of much higher quality than RTP, I think there should be something which suits your game better. I have a lot of links in case you do want to go that route and don't mind having a little more mapping to do. If you do, perhaps finding recolors of your existing stuff would work. Quintessence used a lot of recolors of RTP yet I never felt bored or tired when looking at the mapping.

I'll still play the game regardless as the story is good.

Come help us out!

talia

• Tier 7
  • Hate is easy, love takes courage.
  • Current Mood: alright alright
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2011, 01:28:08 PM »
Oh well it doesn't really matter :P
i am waiting anxiously for the next demo because i loved the story.

i remembered another thing..I am just giving my personal opinion i may be wrong...hope you wont mind...
when the traveler appears he just stands in front of the king during the whole day...you cant talk to him or anything..he even stands there when control shifts to green haired maid...ummm that kind of seams boring to me...
they could at least me saying something..
and there is this guy in the throne room ( or whatever its called) who just keeps saying hey my name is Lorenzo i think it kind of gets lame...maybe you could use self-switches to add something such as i know shut up...or etc ..

its really just my opinion ...about some little things...

I loved the story.....i am waiting impatiently to know what will happen next :P

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2011, 09:18:44 PM »
@silversun: Perhaps, but I'm really bad when it comes to working with tilesets in the database. This is why I only make use of RTP tilesets. It'll be much better if someone could help me with the mapping.

@talia: Sure, I'll do something about them.

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2011, 10:32:12 PM »
I'd volunteer, but I suck at actual mapping myself. Although I could try piecing together a few non-RTP tilesets for you if you'd like.

Come help us out!

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 02:49:35 AM »
I'd volunteer, but I suck at actual mapping myself. Although I could try piecing together a few non-RTP tilesets for you if you'd like.

I'd be very happy if you could help me with that ^^