Author Topic: Merlandese's Music  (Read 48515 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Merlandese's Music
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 12:14:49 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys. :) Rhythm and percussion have never really been my strong point, so I can see how rhythm-based songs like battles would be lacking. I usually pull it off with the timpani or some harmony instruments.  :-[

Case in Point: :musicnote:
EDIT: Unsheathed has been moved to the first post.

I'll definitely try to focus on them more for future action-oriented pieces. Do any of you have some suggestions for what songs I could listen to for research?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:02:06 AM by Merlandese »

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 12:27:01 AM »
Try listening to Golden Sun world map songs - those are really good :) I based one of my songs (not posted yet) off of one.
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 10:20:43 PM »
Alright, even though this isn't a battle or field theme, I decided it would be a good song to practice using more percussion. Thanks for the input on the subject. Here's a somewhat inspirational piece. It's short, but hopefully sweet:

A Little Higher  :musicnote:
EDIT: A Little Higher has been moved to the first post.

I listened to the Golden Sun songs, mewpnn. They are definitely good. Sakuraba has always had a distinct flavor.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:02:34 AM by Merlandese »

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »
How'd you know that trumpets are the awesomest?? xDD Lol. Brass forever, man. Replayed the little trumpet part several times.
This new song of yours kind of reminds me of Kiki's Delivery Service, the part where Kiki and that boy went riding on a bike and they started flying as they got closer to the beach. :3 Good times, good times. ^^ Nicely done.
Check out my art stuff! :D http://niorichi-art.tumblr.com/

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 10:41:48 PM »
While I think this is a really good song, I don't think the soundfont you used was the best one. Though it really depends on what you're willing to do or how much you're willing to spend to get a better one (GPO or SD-90). The percussion is not bad, but I think it could be toned down a little more, while the trumpet could be a little louder.

And yes, Golden Sun soundtracks are, without a doubt, EPIC.
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 11:08:29 PM »
@Blood Angel: Thanks!  :) Yeah, I was totally getting a Hisaishi vibe while making this. Since almost every Miyazaki film has a flying scene, Hisaishi pretty much has a medal in inspirational music.

@mewpnn:  O_O It's a shame, because I actually cranked up the percussion because I thought other people would like it. Also, the drums sounds have some pretty expansive effects: custom EQ, custom stereo panning, custom delay, etc. By themselves, they sound really nice, but after introducing them to all of those other frequencies, they get a little flooded and only the tinny, singular parts stick out. I still haven't managed how to work percussion into a song yet, I suppose. *cracks knuckles* Back to the drawing board. :D

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 11:14:03 PM »
The drums will depend on what mood you want set, Mer. ;3 Though I liked the percussion in this one and seemed to blend pretty well. And Joe Hasaishi is always the master at inspirational music. My favorite song of his though is simply "Summer" from Kikujiro. You're doing awesome as you are though, and I' can't wait to hear another piece by you. ^^

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 01:08:17 AM »
The drums will depend on what mood you want set, Mer. ;3 Though I liked the percussion in this one and seemed to blend pretty well. And Joe Hasaishi is always the master at inspirational music. My favorite song of his though is simply "Summer" from Kikujiro. You're doing awesome as you are though, and I' can't wait to hear another piece by you. ^^

:blush:

That's really sweet of you! You've made me smile.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 10:46:10 PM »
So I've been working on this song for a long time. It is the actual song Crestfallen, which is the title behind which I categorize most of my works. It incorporates the Theme of Crestfallen, also called TWELVE, and another theme which I haven't released.

Here's the thing: I like the song a lot and don't want it to be crap. If anyone would care to critique it, I would fall in love with them and bake them bread.  :-[

I'm looking for critiques in quality, panning, consistency (does it sound choppy or like it jumps from bit to bit?), instrument use, and whether or not the volume is too over/underwhelming. Also, does it get muddy or over crowded at all?

Thanks in advance. ;)

Crestfallen ~ V2.3

Here is the song TWELVE, for, I don't know, comparison?
TWELVE ~ Theme of Crestfallen ~

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 11:31:26 PM »
Whoo for motif throughout the songs. Is Crestfallen a game, album, or? (It also happens to be the name of the studio that made the RM hit game The Way.)

I think you did a great job with the atmosphere and the active string parts. I kind of feel that the high pitched recorder-ish instrument that carried the melody in the first part could be changed, but its second appearance near the end felt a lot more fitting - maybe it's because the sound's familiarized after a while. It may be cool to have a little cymbal crescendo right before 0:42 to lead into the sudden quiet part, but you may also prefer the effect of the sudden contrast.

At around 1:07-1:08, something went wrong - I think it's a recording error though; maybe the comp got overloaded and skipped a bit. But I think the part after that was kinda muddy, mostly due to the vocals, which felt like they were echos.

Are you using EWQL by the way? The sound quality's pretty spectacular!

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 12:28:47 AM »
I think you did a great job with the atmosphere and the active string parts. I kind of feel that the high pitched recorder-ish instrument that carried the melody in the first part could be changed, but its second appearance near the end felt a lot more fitting - maybe it's because the sound's familiarized after a while. It may be cool to have a little cymbal crescendo right before 0:42 to lead into the sudden quiet part, but you may also prefer the effect of the sudden contrast.

I'm fond of the recorder... thing, but I'm going to try out some others. Any idea what might sound good? And I was going for that sudden contrast. It would probably sound better with pictures in the background, like an intro, and the title appearing at 0:42. But I'll try the rolling cymbals before it to see if that helps the cause.

At around 1:07-1:08, something went wrong - I think it's a recording error though; maybe the comp got overloaded and skipped a bit. But I think the part after that was kinda muddy, mostly due to the vocals, which felt like they were echos.

I like how you say "something went wrong". Actually, that is completely intentional. It gives the impression that a beat has been skipped, but really, if you keep track of the temp, neither it nor the time signature has changed. I've just hit heavily on the last beat on the measure before. If weird rhythms are jarring, you'll hate this song (unfinished):
Morning, And Everything is Great ~ V1.7

But if that "odd" section at 1:07-1:08 really is detestable, I'll see how to work around it.

And I'm working on correcting the muddiness of the vocals right now. I find that without them, the intensity doesn't climb as high as I'd like it, but it's also hard to have them in there without drowning everything. I'll make some reverb modifications and screw with the panning more. :)

Are you using EWQL by the way? The sound quality's pretty spectacular!

I wish! No, I just have a combo of free soundfonts and recordings I make from my Yamaha through an audio interface. I'm still learning the basics, but I've found that the manipulation of different effects can make almost any crap sound better (like auto-tune to celebrities  :D) I spend a lot of time tweaking, trying to mimic the sounds of real/preferred instruments.

Whoo for motif throughout the songs. Is Crestfallen a game, album, or? (It also happens to be the name of the studio that made the RM hit game The Way.)

Yeah, the way you do the motifs are really nice. I've been meaning to compliment you on that specifically, but it has never come up on a thread. It's easy enough to transplant the theme into another genre, but you manage to keep the new song within the atmosphere of the others, while still making it an excellent stand-alone. I guess you can't play games with Uematsu as the composer your whole life and not realized the potential of leitmotif.

As for Crestfallen, it was an idea for a game that my (former) friends and I had contributed to for many years in school. It evolved pretty much into a project name, which in essence is nothing more than me and my ideas, now. I actually have an entire folder of art for characters, scenes, etc., and am working on a novel of the same name 200+ pages, wahoo!). I guess you could say it's a game, but as of now it is everything but that.  :-[

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INPUT!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 12:31:40 AM by Merlandese »

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 04:46:21 AM »
Wow. ^^; Well, I ain't much of an expert critique like Reives, but I do like the tunes, Mer. ;3 The bells sort of shocked me at the beginning, but that was probably because the computer's volume was cranked up pretty high. The bells, I think, kind of faded out a little too quickly but it's not much of a big notice. In the middle where the entire orchestra came in, I wasn't able to hear all the different sounds very clearly. And in end the harp sound was a nice touch. *nods*

Now on Twelve, it sounded like the keys were being pressed down too hard. There was a sort of airy sound after a key was hit, was that intentional or...? I dunno but my ears are kind of screwed up so I might be hearing wrong. @A@

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 06:52:02 PM »
Thank you Blood Angel! XD I'm sorry if it was too loud. I'm trying to compare the decibels used in my music to that of other soundtracks, so hopefully it wasn't too much louder than a normal MP3.

In the middle where the entire orchestra came in, I wasn't able to hear all the different sounds very clearly.
I think Reives had the same problem with the muddiness when the full orchestra+choir comes in. It's my project right now to fix that.

As for the "airy" sound in TWELVE, I think it is most audible during the heavy notes. It should be fixed if it sounds too unrealistic. What happened is that, as a music box piece, I wanted it to sound as mechanical as possible--that is, if I played it on the keyboard, it would be too noticeably played by a human, whereas a music box is fairly precise. So I used a free soundfont and chunked it around as best I could to get a better sound. I'll try to alter it more and see if I can't fix that.

Thank you for your input, it was very sweet of you! XD

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 08:08:38 AM »
Ugh...
Spoiler: show
Cleyra Settlement Piano by Lan

(I'm still wearing that beanie...)

This is really awesome. I absolutely love the original song, but for some reason I never looked for an arrangement or a piano version of this. Really good stuff.  :)

And I listened to some of your other songs. They are really well done. I love "Twelve" and the other version of this song.

Keep on posting your songs here. ;)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 09:10:52 PM »
@Squall: Thank you! Very nice of you. :)

Here's another little ditty I posted on the Tube.

It's more synthetic than I'm used to, but I think it goes well with a menu screen or save screen with a darker tone. It's also a variation of TWELVE...

CLOUDS (Please Sign Here)  :musicnote:
CLOUDS (Please Sign Here) By Merlandese
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:03:13 AM by Merlandese »