Author Topic: Merlandese's Music  (Read 48410 times)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Merlandese's Music
« on: October 04, 2010, 11:59:45 PM »
Album Release: Six at Random by Merlandese

EDIT: Newest song
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:46:17 PM by Merlandese »

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
Re: Merlandese's Music
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 12:16:59 AM »
I really love how your pieces all have some level of complexity to them, in both rhythm and the layering of sound. o: Those two are really pleasant sounding, and I'm especially fond of the light-heartedness of the first one.

They actually feel like they'd fit pretty well as BGMs for The Sims games, heheh.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 07:48:14 PM »
Thanks Reives! It's always good to get compliments from the Master Composer Himself.  :)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 09:37:37 PM »
Here's another song I made. I just added it to YouTube. The song was inspired by those damned paper bunnies Rayan and Reives and I folded, which were in turn inspired by Reives' To the Moon project. Thank the wonderful Rayen for working her bum off making the origami tutorials!

Folding Paper Bunnies by Merlandese (Bunny Tutorial by Rayen)

And then come to this thread if you'd like to view Rayen's tutorial the way it was meant to be viewed:  :plat:
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=2705.0

Hope you enjoy! :)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 11:18:17 AM »
Hahah, well done. It sounds chilled and lighthearted; very enjoyable. Great choices of instruments for it too. And whoo for Rayen's origami guides!

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 06:43:11 PM »
@ Reives: Thanks, man!

Here's another one. It's a little different than what I usually go for, but not much.

EDIT: Diminished Population has been moved to the first post.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:57:01 AM by Merlandese »

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »
Wow, love the atmosphere in that one. Lovely use of subtle strings. This is a lot more RPG-ish than the other ones. I should've asked earlier, but how long have you been composing/what's your musical background? You make some amazing stuff. Oh, I went to check out your TWELVE song; fantastic work on that too, very tranquil.

(I also noticed katethegreat19 commented on that video; are you two friends? I actually made a thread of her stuff a while back; she's an amazing vocalist.)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 10:03:22 PM »
Wow, love the atmosphere in that one. Lovely use of subtle strings. This is a lot more RPG-ish than the other ones. I should've asked earlier, but how long have you been composing/what's your musical background? You make some amazing stuff. Oh, I went to check out your TWELVE song; fantastic work on that too, very tranquil.

(I also noticed katethegreat19 commented on that video; are you two friends? I actually made a thread of her stuff a while back; she's an amazing vocalist.)

Thanks! I've been smashing haphazardly on keyboards for over ten years now. No training :( , so I can't read it (I just tried playing To Realize earlier today from your sheet music... It didn't go well. I got lazy and threw it together by ear really quick. I also just learned Melody Town from Kirby's Epic Yarn, which isn't out yet, but has a great soundtrack!)

As for "composing", I've been doing it--or something like it--since I started. It was MIDI for a long time, and low-quality crap, but I've just gotten comfortable enough to post it.

Kate's a cool chick. I'm sure you know that. We met on YouTube probably two years ago, and I'd say we're decent acquaintances. You'll see that my first post was a shitty rendition of Cleyra Settlement, which she inspired me to do with a tiny clip she had made in an Omake post. It was the only Cleyra cover on the internet for a whole year until Kate finally posted her sweet sweet goodness (and she beat my views within the first day!). So yeah, even though she's a big celebrity, she's nice enough to talk to me every now and again.  :musicnote:

Ugh...
Spoiler: show
Cleyra Settlement Piano by Lan

(I'm still wearing that beanie...)

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 03:56:13 AM »
Your songs remind me of Tactic's Ogre. It was an extremely wonderful game as a kid, and listening to your songs take me back to them. Your Diminished Populations is my favorite so far. I like how it had that actual diminishing feeling at the beginning and the end and it felt like I was being pulled into an actual story. I like these kinds of songs, so keep up the good composing! :3 Have you took lessons?
Check out my art stuff! :D http://niorichi-art.tumblr.com/

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 06:46:39 PM »
Thanks, Blood Angel! I think several people have given my music subtle comparisons to Sakimoto and Iwata, although I don't believe I work anywhere close to their style. But it's a very nice compliment. :musicnote:

And no, I've yet to take a lesson.  :'(

Battle Theme!
EDIT: Battle Experiment has been moved to the first post.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:01:11 AM by Merlandese »

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 06:54:45 PM »
Hey why haven't I subbed to you yet?! THIS IS MADNESS

Joking aside, I think this is intense and battle-ish in a way, but I still think it needs to build more. But it fits for a good field theme, I suppose :)
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 07:09:20 PM »
Hey why haven't I subbed to you yet?! THIS IS MADNESS

Joking aside, I think this is intense and battle-ish in a way, but I still think it needs to build more. But it fits for a good field theme, I suppose :)

I love your music, mewpnn, but don't you think--and this is just a guess--that you get the field music and battle music a little... backwards?  ;)
http://freebirdgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=2262.msg102221#msg102221

Actually, I'm not that good at battle themes. Nor am I good at dark ambiance. Battle Experiment is as close as it gets...  :reivsweat:

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 08:17:54 PM »
At that time, I did have the field and battle music backwards xD I don't really do those intense songs anymore, either, but the two Touhou arranges I did are the most recent Intense-battle themes :P
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Kracken Kitty

• Tier 7
  • Sleepy Insomniac
    • Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 11:30:06 PM »
Lol. When I listened to the Battle Theme I was hoping the tempo would speed up a little bit. :3  Although listening to it makes me think of a thief and detective encounter, sort of like a chase, so it's a nice composition as an experiment. If you make another battle theme, try adding in some build to it. ;) Loved the song though.
Check out my art stuff! :D http://niorichi-art.tumblr.com/

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 11:45:04 PM »
A chase is definitely a good fit for it. I think you did a fantastic job at the melodic structures and transitions, and just the atmosphere overall - there's a lot of complex stuff going on in there.

I think what it needs to feel more battle-ish is simply more prominent (and perhaps syncopated) percussions. It doesn't necessarily have to be heavy, but just that extra layer of pacing rhythm should give it a more battle-ish feel. In fact, a lot of fast paced pieces depend on their percussions because it's a lot easier to pull off than melody-sustained intensity, and I'm surprised you were able to pull it off that well without that much emphasis on it.