Author Topic: Freedom Of Speech  (Read 4023 times)

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
  • Current Mood: blank blank
Freedom Of Speech
« on: April 24, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
So, on Apr 21st 2010 an episode of south park was aired.
It was supposed to be the a continuation from the previous episode which showed the prophet muhammad. The first episode they didn't show him, they had him in a bear costume, and he hardly spoke. This episode, these Islamic extremist group made a threat and Comedy Central, not the creators of south park but Comedy Central decided to bleep half the episode, and I'm not exaggerating, they actually bleeped half the episode and censored muhammad, this feels like a serious blow to free speech to me.

Do you think it was right of them to censor the episode?

(Whole story here: http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/04/21/south-park-creators-muhammad/ )
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:38:58 AM by Sizzle »
This quote will be legend

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
Re: Freedom Of Speech
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 01:20:05 AM »
I heard about that from my brother... I think it's kind of stupid. What did the threat actually consist of, though?

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 01:36:40 AM »
Sigh. South Park ripped on this exact same thing in Cartoon Wars. We can't exactly say that the threat would be that crappy animation that the Muslims did at the end of the episode, and they never threatened Comedy Central after the Super Best Friends episode... it's weird...

But yeah, this is a serious blow to the right to free speech. They do have the right, but I think it's better to just show Muhammad.
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Coach Travis

• Tier 7
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 04:56:32 AM »
Yeah, I was pretty upset about it, because for a show that's never been afraid to make a point, to see it get censored that badly was both upsetting and kinda embarrassing. It really came close to ruining what was otherwise a great pair of episodes. Oh, and the worst part, there's a speech from Kyle near the end where he does his usual thing about what he learned, the writers say it was about fear and intimidation with nothing to do with Muhammad, and it's completely censored, to the point where they were told they cold never show it in its proper form.  That really sucks.

Being a Christian I could see why people of another religion could be offended, but if that's the case they should either just suck it up or avoid the show completely, and not ruin the fun for everyone else. I mean, the show occasionally has a far less than accurate version of Jesus(who appears in those two episodes), and I just laugh with it every time.

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:23:53 PM »
This has actually gotten a little bigger, google "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day". I actually support this 100%.

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:17:29 PM »
I think that we are slowly loosing our ability to speak freely, in at least America. I'm being quite cautious nowadays in fear of some stupid law that really just abridges my right to speak. I truely fear for the world. :seraisweatdrop:

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:39:53 AM »
Don't talk... Our state is so restricted in terms of civilian public freedom of speech and demonstration that they might as well bound and gag us. You can even send letters and emails to the "WE WANT YOUR OPINION!" government sites and nobody will ever reply.

(And I think I might just be chained up and carted off to jail just for badmouthing them like this.)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 10:35:19 AM »
Singapore? o: Huh, I was under the impression that it was okay in that regard.

I just saw that South Park episode a few days ago for the first time. Before finding out about the thing, I actually thought the bleeping was intentional, since I found it hilarious and added to the point about the censorship issue (Comedy Central was probably trying to make the best of the situation).

I think shortly after there was a Simpsons episode where what Bart was writing on the blackboard in the intro was "South Park, we'd stand behind you if we weren't so scared", heh.

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
  • Only the blind can see.
  • Current Mood: worried worried
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 12:22:46 AM »
The thing is, though, the difference between right and morality. I can see why people don't want to be restricted, and they shouldn't make threats, but if I posted sheets of paper saying 'white only' and 'colored only' at the restrooms, I can assure you no one will defend my right to free speech, but will say I am prejudiced. No offense, Sizzle, but my opinion of you has gone down. Colectively gathering to insult a group of people may be allowed, but is it moral? I know lots of incredibly nice Muslims who are hurt by this constant disrespect to what they believe. That this is viewed as entertainment only makes it worse.

Come help us out!

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 10:30:29 AM »
Radicals allways call upon something even slight, because of that they are called radicals.
I will not dissasembel here whole America-christianity-judaism-islam problem but one thing is sure:

America is trying to play on world cop, when they allways want be the "good guys".
Christian x judaism x islam... They have much in comon some differences and lead bloddy war between for centuryes (though even in they holy texts are many parts in common).
And finally this whole combination: Standarts these days are panic fear of not beeing racistic so there are many blocks which should be removed.
One of them is surely that as in history in christianity now in Islam very few peoples know what holy textes really say. In radical grupes there are many rules and phrases chaged or even "deleted".
For examples:
Jesus Christ was Jewish.
Dzihad can't be fought againts civilians.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 10:43:03 AM »
I agree. I can tell you no Muslim I know thinks what the terrorists are doing is good, they hate them more than anyone else. Bloody Mary was Catholic, however just because she caused bloodshed does not mean Catholicism is an evil religion. I can make fun of Bloody Mary with a free conscience, as I'm sure no Catholic would be offended, while if I insulted the religion itself, I lower my moral ground.

I believe when insults are viewed as entertainment, something is seriously wrong with the way the culture thinks.

Come help us out!

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 10:53:54 AM »
Mass culture is stupid and doesn't care why is it. They just belive when someone say: "Hey they are bad." Mass switch on: "So every one of them must be bad."
I would say that Muslims are strict, but if they know what really is to be a muslim then there is no way that they blow themselfs up on airport.
One story in Koran (I think) is about a man who commited a suicide because he found he have illnes which would cause him long and painfull death. Muhammad refused to give this one a blessing, because he caused his death by his own hand.
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 11:40:46 AM »
Yeah, suicide is really strict in Islam...the only incident I can think of where it might be allowed is where your life might put others in danger, like if you were a spy that got caught and were going to be tortured, however not really relevant today (I hope) and even then I'm not sure.

I remember reading a book on democracy that was published over a hundred years ago, but I'm amazed how the author's words still hold true today. He was a Frenchman that visited America and published his thoughts. He stated in a monarchy the aristocracy develops opinions which the common people for the most part adopts. In a democracy everyone is equal, so instead the opinion the majority holds is adopted. We need to have opinions for everything, but don't have the time to bother researching every issue and group of people seperately. And in any case, one person vs. the world can seem pretty overwhelming.

This was touched on in the 2-party debate I think, with how without a party system we'd have so many candidates it'd be impossible to discover all their backgrounds, and most people wouldn't even care or bother, and just choose the guy who they identify with most.

Come help us out!

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »
The thing is, though, the difference between right and morality. I can see why people don't want to be restricted, and they shouldn't make threats, but if I posted sheets of paper saying 'white only' and 'colored only' at the restrooms, I can assure you no one will defend my right to free speech, but will say I am prejudiced. No offense, Sizzle, but my opinion of you has gone down. Colectively gathering to insult a group of people may be allowed, but is it moral? I know lots of incredibly nice Muslims who are hurt by this constant disrespect to what they believe. That this is viewed as entertainment only makes it worse.

Your example first off is oxymoron. If you posted 2 sheets of paper saying 'white only' and 'colored only'. Show me how showing Muhammad is the same as racial discrimination. Second off, towards people that did not want to see it, I'm sure nobody was holding a gun to their head forcing them to watch South Park. Thirdly, show me how a cartoon Muhammad is insulting, because they don't want it shown? Okay I think it's insulting that select people burn my flag on TV but guess what? They can and I'm not threatening the station airing it. Lastly, I don't have any problems with Muslims okay? So stop taking my words out of context, because it annoys me to no end. What I do have a problem with is censorship. Nothing was done in the episode to belittle the Islamic faith, nor was anything done to belittle the Prophet Muhammad, so please do some research before you come barreling to conclusions that it was in an effort to insult the Islamic faith.

In other news, this is an old topic which I've done looked past. I no longer watch South Park, case closed, continue to debate over this if you must, but leave my name out of it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 01:49:49 PM by Sizzle »

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 02:32:47 PM »
I'm sorry if you were offended, I just have strong feelings on this sort of stuff. That being said, it was wrong of me to state that my respect for you had gone down. I hope you won't hold that against me.In respect to your wishes, I won't argue your points.

Come help us out!