Author Topic: Hook point [Thread from Beta Board]  (Read 9618 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Hook point [Thread from Beta Board]
« on: October 02, 2010, 12:36:46 PM »
Note/Edit: This thread is an old one from the private beta-board, moved to the public board after the game's release.

I'm a bit worried about this aspect of the game, and think something should be done about it.

When you guys were playing the game, at which point did you start to feel attached to it and started to not want to put it down, if any?

I'm getting the feeling that the first part isn't that much of a hook; both in the house and the older memories before things started coming together - that's a very important thing, and should definitely be done about if it's true.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:40:08 PM by Reives »

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Hook point
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 12:43:41 PM »
I played the whole game in one sitting, and started getting more interested with the origami rabbits, I think, and when old and dying River is asking John about the blue and yellow rabbit.

But I was already quite hooked on when Eva and Neil got into John's memory with the dreamscape effects, since the effects were very interesting.

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 12:49:22 PM »
I always become attached to a story when the first emotional string appears, whether it be any emotion. I have to admit I was a bit bored at the beginning - why explore and stuff when I should be getting to his memories? but then there was that room full of origami rabbits (the one which I had to get the key for), and for a moment I was totally stunned. Then came the feeling of "I just HAVE to know what this is all about."

Otherwise, I have to say I got attached by the premise, even before playing the game. I expected great emotional stuff, since it's someone's full life story, and his dying wish, and all my expectations were fulfilled.

I don't know if this is any help...
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 12:56:01 PM »
First big hook:
Spoiler: show
Johnny at River's grave.

Second big hook:
Johnny's youth and childhood (meeting River, River's condition, carnival, Johnny-Chris et cetara)

Highlight:
When Johnny and River are watching the stars.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 12:58:37 PM by Squall »

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 01:05:47 PM »
I think what hooked me first was finding the creepy room full of rabbits. Then once she first asked him about the rabbits (because I was interested in them.) I think when I started growing attached to the characters was in the scene when she was like "would you throw the hacky sack?" or the bar scene.

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 02:08:38 PM »
When I play a new game I can't put it down, hook or no :P But I think I became really attached when River constantly came up.
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 02:28:52 PM »
Right around the spot when the game said, "This is the ALpha Demo for To the Moon. It is not yet complete..."

Hooked.

But really I agree with Ronnie (and the others) that it was the room full of rabbits. I love a good mystery, so when that room was introduced I got really curious. The only way you could have made it a bigger hook is if there was a dead body down there. And a bloodied platypus doll. Then it'd be a job for Professor Layton.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 03:05:17 PM »
Great, that's very helpful. c: Thanks y'all!

Okay, based on the feedbacks, here's what I'm thinking of:
------------------------------------------------------------
-After one Dr is working on the machine and you control the other, you go downstairs and can get Tommy and Sarah into your group without needing to get the candy cane like you do now. (The origami's room will be locked, and the children have the key to it.)

-When Tommy and Sarah join the group, they mention something about a funny room down at the basement. You can enter the room without having to search around the house for the key; exploration is voluntary.

-After you've viewed the origami room, there arises a reason for you to head to the lighthouse (and perhaps the key to the lighthouse is in the origami room). This way, the player gets to see the lighthouse for the first time before going into the memories - and reading the grave may give them some foreshadow.

-The platypus and the yellow & blue paper rabbit are sitting at the top lamp floor of the lighthouse; the player needs to go there to retrieve some kind of documents so you will come across them.

-After that, you head back to the house and Lily informs you that it's ready - you enter the memory realms and start there.
------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think? o: I'm hoping this would give a lot more foreshadow to the story and have the player be exposed to more vital elements of the story earlier on.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 03:16:26 PM »
I think you should try it out. I'm sure everyone would be willing to re-play the game to critique the new pacing. Make sure to keep a backup before you do that in case it doesn't work as well.

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 03:17:04 PM »
I think it will work. Maybe Watts should ask the kids for some clues (he is looking for things involving Johnny's past, isn't he?) and they drag him out to the lighthouse because he has a some stuff in there. Maybe they remember seeing a bunny in the lighthouse or something and decide to take Watts there when he gets the creeps from the bunny room. They could have the keys to the lighthouse, maybe from their mother's keyring, so you'll only be able to go in when they take you there.

Other than that, I think it would be a good idea, as long as you keep the foreshadowing elements really, really subtle. It won't be long before you find these things out anyway, and that subtlety would make a nice click in the gamer's head (I assume).

Ronnie

• Tier 7
    • my personal blog
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 03:47:19 PM »
I don't know if it is only me, but I would advise against pulling the candy cane thing out. Adding the lighthouse to exploration at the beginning is a great idea, and I agree with Merlan's version (the kids should accompany you there). After all, almost all of the game is non-interactive (of course, I mean the storyline), so a bit of exploring around wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't mind a bit more foreshadowing either, as long as it remains confusing. Nobody knows what the paper rabbits are when the Doctor first enters that room. There could be other "hints" like that, without any explanation, to keep the player on their tiptoes. :P

Otherwise, I like the new storyline ^^
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 03:54:30 PM »
Just don't get too heavy handed with the hints or the player will end up confused, which would ruin the whole point of the hook point.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 04:04:39 PM »
Yeah, I'll try to be careful. And yep, the kids will accompany you to the lighthouse - they're playing the "guides" role.

As for advicing against the candy cane thing, Ronnie, is it because it adds to a feel of interactivity? If so, would having something similar after the kids join the group work?

Ronnie

• Tier 7
    • my personal blog
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »
I think what basically caught me at interactivity was not interactivity itself, but interactivity for the sake of something. It was sort of an exciting task (though nothing major, lol, just a small little thing I liked) that I had to find something to persuade the children with. If you can replace it with something that has a purpose as well, it's also fine.

I'm totally OK with storytelling-based games, but I can't help liking walking around and exploring either. ^^

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 04:13:23 PM »
Actually, maybe because I have that Game exploring problem, I found the candy cane before I even knew the kids wanted it. I walked up to them and it was like, "here, have some freaking sugar," and they guided me around. I assumed that they would have asked me for it if I didn't have it, but that wasn't the case. So, for me, the candy cane may as well not have been there. It was just a funny line for Watts.