Author Topic: Having no Homeworks on Weekends: Agree or not?  (Read 4610 times)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
Having no Homeworks on Weekends: Agree or not?
« on: September 29, 2010, 10:00:37 AM »
Took this from Amaranthia, where I posted it.

Alright, our Department of Education just implemented a new ruling towards Elementary teachers. This ruling is that teachers are not allowed to give homeworks during weekends.

The said department's secretary implemented the ruling because of complaints coming from parents that their kids are losing time for playing and having bonding moments with their family because of the load of assignments that they bring home.

Burning Question: Is this reasonable, or not?

In my honest and diffident opinion, isn't this just too much? I mean, can't assignments bring moments with their family members? Having LESS would be okay, but none would be the worst thing I have never heard.

I wonder what would happen to these kids in High School, not to mention COLLEGE!

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
Re: Having no Homeworks on Weekends: Agree or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 10:49:37 AM »
My headmaster would agree with you for sure. This is exactly what we talked about a couple of days ago in History class (the headmaster is our History teacher).

I say little kids in elementary school need more time then us seniors to play and feel free and spend time with their families, but a little homework that takes up at most two or three hours wouldn't make them have to stop doing all of that.
My headmaster says our generation can't be strained, because we didn't get enough strain when we were little kids. And, of course, he said this in a much nicer way, but what he generally meant was now we are all lazy asses and will not succeed in our jobs whatever we will work, because we can't be gotten down to any serious work. Because we aren't strainable enough. And I say this is mostly rubbish. Everyone can learn how to strain themselves in any age. It's not like it has anything to do with your brain condition (like the impulses a child has to get in the first 3 years of their life or else their neural system won't work properly, but let's just not get into that). And elementary school children do need to be strained a little less, so they can alter themselves to the hardships of life easier.
But that doesn't mean no homework at all, if you ask me. School is still school, and homework comes with it.
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 06:24:58 AM »
I think it's important to have homework from early on, so that it becomes a routine in the stage that parents still have some control over the kid's schedule during after-school hours. I don't remember having any homework until 7th grade, just that in my case it was due to me finishing all of it during classes. My primary school was pretty flexible, because we had so many grades in one classroom (1-2 had one and 3-6 had the other classroom). So I just think my teachers never noticed that I always finished before going home.

The point of homework is repetition; that you've had a little time between going over the things once and going over them again. It helps learning. In my case, I never developed the routine for doing homework, and still struggle with it.

I think a little bit of homework during the weekend is most definitely not a bad thing.

Dreadsteed

• Tier 3
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:17:06 AM »
I think it's important to have homework from early on, so that it becomes a routine in the stage that parents still have some control over the kid's schedule during after-school hours. I don't remember having any homework until 7th grade, just that in my case it was due to me finishing all of it during classes. My primary school was pretty flexible, because we had so many grades in one classroom (1-2 had one and 3-6 had the other classroom). So I just think my teachers never noticed that I always finished before going home.

The point of homework is repetition; that you've had a little time between going over the things once and going over them again. It helps learning. In my case, I never developed the routine for doing homework, and still struggle with it.

I think a little bit of homework during the weekend is most definitely not a bad thing.

Same issue here, never did my homework or finished it in class and i'm suffering as a result. ADHD is horrible at times because of how easy I can get bored and shift my attentions and it usually takes me longer than 5 minutes to notice i'm completely off topic so to speak and shift my attention back.

Chiefie

• is guaranteed to run this town;
  • Tier 6
  • A ia Awesome. See the Alliteration?
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 07:39:19 AM »
Homework is definitely important. I mean, as our workload gets heavier through the years, even if you try to squeeze all your work to class time, and weekdays, it may not be sufficient to complete it. it's inevitable that later in life, weekend homework (or just work in general) cannot be avoided. At this point in time, the students should be prepared to sacrifice their free time.

Coming from Singapore, which has a sort of "stressful" education system, as some people like to call it, there is loads of homework. In secondary 1 and 2 I mostly only did homework in class and I survived pretty well, but this year I'm finding it more difficult to avoid homework in my free time... i think if such a ruling were made in Singapore, the workload would be pretty unmanageable... After all, my school teachers already try not to overload us with homework, but many of us are still feeling the pressure.

Workload's just too heavy to not intrude on weekends, IMO.

It's so true!

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
  • Only the blind can see.
  • Current Mood: worried worried
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 11:59:40 PM »
I have a teacher in my math class who is one of those infamous Awesome Teachers, well known throughout school by students for being so nice. Classes are pretty relaxed, and she's assigned 1 homework assignment the entire semester. You'd assume our grades reflected that. Actually, our grades were so high by comparision to other teachers she was actually investigated for cheating.
I consistentally get 100s on tests, despite the fact that I dislike the math we're learning this year.

Last year I had an okay teacher. Homework was assigned daily and contained dozens of problems.Although I didn't fail the class, I didn't get 100s either, and finished with an 89 average.

I'm not saying homework is useless, just that it is far, far behind good teaching. I think it's most useful in situations where the subject is undisguised rote memorization, such as a foreign language.

Come help us out!

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 12:43:39 AM »
I think the saying "Practice makes perfect" is truer than most people give it credit for, and that from an academic standpoint one can't be better without more time practicing, even if that means spending more time with the topic on your mind. However, if the intention is to make the kid have more "kid time"--that is, make them more perfect at being a youth--then less time involved in academics will do exactly that. I think that trains them to be better at something they are, but won't be for long, whereas homework trains them better at what they aren't but can one day become.

Let's recall that America has no standard for how many days a year school should be, averaging around 180. Australia averages 200. Japan, around 243. In the book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, he makes numerous references to countries with prolonged vacations and fewer days of school having overall lower student intelligence. Though not the topic of the book, he points out that students in Japan are smarter than students in the U.S.

I personally don't see Japanese youths missing out much on their childhood because of all of the extra work. And I don't think training children to grow up more intelligent--or even diligent, since weekend homework requires that too--is ever a bad thing.

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 01:49:15 AM »
I believe it is not lack of homework that promotes laziness, it is the do-the-bare-minimum, just do what everyone else is doing mentality that is harming us. I sincerely believe rubrics should die. If the teacher isn't going to give me more points for extra effort, why put it in? This mentality carries into adulthood, so we never reach our full potential.

I am informed Asian
Cultures have a what is easy to get is not worth having mentality, while Americans believe that completion grades and rote memorization is a substitute for skill.

Having additional homework does not remedy this, in fact, I get so stressed I end up doing the bare minimum just to get it turned it. The emphasis ought to be on quality over quantity, give us less homework, but grade more strictly on what you give. Rather than grade off a rubric, grade off of effort, knowledge and overall quality of the work.

Come help us out!

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 02:34:44 AM »
Well said.

However, this rubric, or most rubrics, are based on something important: other people. Other students are the standard. Your effort is being compared against values that can and have been reached. If you perform less desirably than that, the grade simply rates you compared to what is possible/expected from other students. It may sound ridiculous to be compared to other people, but what other measure can they use? What should students be evaluated against? Animal intelligence? Dirt? Then your effort would be even more useless because everyone would get an A. The only sensible way to compare groups of people is to give them all the same guidelines--all the same expectations. I would like to know a better system.

I believe it is not lack of homework that promotes laziness, it is the do-the-bare-minimum, just do what everyone else is doing mentality that is harming us.

If the teacher isn't going to give me more points for extra effort, why put it in?

Having additional homework does not remedy this, in fact, I get so stressed I end up doing the bare minimum just to get it turned it.

It may be taxing, certainly, but it is homework, after all, and is used both to educate and evaluate you--dual purpose. Not to sound offensive, but there are people who don't do the bare minimum. There are people who finish those assignments with full points. There are people who don't back down because they are given a lot to handle, or because they think of excuses why it won't matter.

You1 are being compared to those people. And, according to the system, they are better. That may sound harsh, but it's true. They've accomplished what you have failed to, which, almost by definition, makes them better. Because of this, they get rewarded with good grades.

Some people are naturally precocious, or have higher innate intelligence. They can skip homework, because they will ace the test.

Other people aren't as intelligent, but with enough ambition can gather the necessary knowledge to rival the naturally intelligent.

If you gave me one of each type of these people--Person A who didn't bother with his homework but still managed 100% on tests, and Person B, who worked extremely hard on his homework and managed 100% on tests--I would always choose Person B. But one extremely complicated test won't allow me to tell the two apart.

The fact is that the fastest horse in the world is useless if he won't run. The strongest man is useless if he doesn't get off of the couch. A brilliant artist is nothing if they never make art. Tests evaluate capacity. But they don't measure the other stuff. Is your brain smart? Great! But it's also lazy. How do I know? Because I've been giving it work every week for a year and it hasn't been doing so well. However, Johnny over there has managed to do everything, even though you may be smarter. So, he gets the good grade.

1: I said "you" in there, but mostly for consistency. I have no doubts to either your intelligence or diligence.

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 03:12:21 AM »
I agree with most of what you say, except when you state the person who does extra work will get a better grade. I myself will admit I don't put nearly as much effort as I could, while I get high 90s often (I'm referring to projects and homework here, tests do not really involve effort as you state). Often a teacher will literally give me a piece of paper stating title-1 point, x component-25 points, y component- 10 points, and so on and so forth. Am I rewarded for including Z component? No, because it is not in the rubric. Am I losing something by not adding Z component? Absolutely. I've learned, and going above and beyond is a good habit to develop. Do I care at 2 am? No.

But teachers should force me to think creatively, what am I going to do with this project, rather than limiting me. Yes, a light rubric is useful in grading. However, to use an analogy, a good given rubric would be like the form of certain poetry- this long of a line, but you can write whatever you want, while a bad one is where the poem is written and you're just supposed to change the words.

Yes, there are exceptional people, and they go on to discover the cure to cancer and new sources of energy. But there is a reason not everyone is involved in such jobs, and teachers must force them to do so. Teachers should also reward extra effort. I applaud those who can turn in excellent quality work every time, but those are the exception that prove the rule.

Come help us out!

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 10:19:19 AM »
I can speak only for semi-functional czech school educating system, but I didn't have much homework since secondary degree of Elementary (but I swithed schools by that time). But I still think that number of homeworks hereissomehow low, but still not every week formevery subject we still had homeworks, but what I thing that this is about teachers and not childern. Here really depends about what is that homework.
Small childern can't pay atention really well and doing something whatis from their point of wiev bother will take them more time then something what's fun (in case that theyknow when to stop :P).
This is nothing againts teachers, but I thing they could consider what ammount of homework is necesary if is necesery.
And Childern should be under at least slight supervision, if they are really doing homework :D
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 11:26:23 PM »
I just found this video that reminded me of the last few conversations in this thread. It's pretty funny. Beware, it has language not suitable for impressionable youths.
In The Know: Are Tests Biased Against Students Who Don't Give A Shit?

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »
Too true.

Skimming through the first page of comments, I found this:
"...but seeing as though teacher's jobs consist of writing things down for the students to memorize and get good grades on tests with..."

I'm enrolled in an AP class. I was pretty excited for this class, because I dreamed of an class where I would be challenged with complex question that asked me, why does this matter? How does *concept we just taught you* apply to the real world?

Well, I am challenged. Challenged to remember the exact definition of a concept, who wrote it, and when they wrote it. Do I understand said concept? No, but they don't care, and it doesn't affect my grade.

Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed in said class.

As to the teacher- well, she's a really nice person. Really good teacher? Um, no. Literally all she does is give lectures. One day when I miss class and ask her what the material was, she says "oh, it's all in the book."

. . .

Then why are you here, teacher?

Too much emphasis is put on memorizing material then on actually understanding it. If AP classes are an example of what goes on in colleges... Then am I just there to get a piece of paper with my name on it and a title, rather than an education?

Come help us out!

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »
Any teacher who doesn't see what your saying is a poor teacher; I think your example teacher is very poor. Literally, it's their job to challenge you, but it should also be your job to challenge yourself. (I'm certain you understand this, but am posting it so that little is left for assumption. Also, I have strong opinions on teachers that I feel are crap or that I feel are dumber than myself. I could rant for days! It could be a topic in itself. But I'll try not to dwell here. :p)

Though it's intrinsically related to the subject, I think the merits/flaws of the teacher don't have enough bearing on whether homework in general should be assigned on the weekends. I would say that the relevance of weekend homework still stands despite the existence of poor teachers, the same way that important laws are no less important because of poor law enforcers.

And as for the "why does this matter" question you wished to be asked in your AP class, try taking college debate, philosophy, or application classes if you can. Most colleges allow people to take one or two of their classes without being enrolled as an official student, and their methods of teaching are far different than High School. Or just keep posting on Freebird and the Freebirds can keep challenging you! :-)
(I'm making the assumption that you're in High School. Please don't take offense and be sure to correct me if I'm wrong.)

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 11:37:44 PM »
Hm, well, but they're likely to assign useless junk for homework- (case in point- math teacher that assigned pages of classwork and homework to substitue for actual teaching). Homework is a supplement, not the base, of teaching, and like medicine, it's better off not used at all than ill-used.

Unfortunately I've enrolled in an advanced program that leaves very few electives if any (I think like 1 or 2), so I haven't been able to take debate this year. Maybe next year, hopefully... For now, I'll probably just spam this board since it's rare I get to have a serious discussion about serious issues.

And yeah, I am in high school. I don't like to reveal that due to the (admittedly well-earned) stereotype that we're all immature.

Come help us out!