Author Topic: Congress advances the repeal of DADT  (Read 2468 times)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
Congress advances the repeal of DADT
« on: June 06, 2010, 03:33:40 AM »
Congress has advanced the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell. 

The House of Representatives voted today to repeal the 17-year-old "don't ask, don't tell" policy that permits gays to serve in the military only if they keep their sexual orientation a secret.

On a 234-194 vote, the House voted to advance the repeal as an amendment to a Defense Department funding bill moving through Congress. Earlier in the day, the Senate Armed Services Committee separately voted 16-12 to approve the same measure.

the rest of the article is at the source

I think this is v. exciting, I've been hoping DADT would be repealed forever.

Cyril

• Tier 2
  • This text is personal.
  • Current Mood: alright alright
Re: Congress advances the repeal of DADT
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 02:02:30 PM »
I agree with Stardale. This is very exciting news. "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was, in my opinion, the biggest disgrace to the military since it was racially segregated.

P.S. That is, of course, not including illegal torture techniques. Oh well, it's still an improvement, I guess.

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 06:15:38 PM »
You guys do realize that even with the repeal of the bill commanders still maintain the order over their units, my CO has said DADT is still in effect for our unit so it all depends on the commanders.
This quote will be legend

Merlandese

• 静態の遊子
  • Tier 7
  • ---
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 06:45:56 PM »
I remember they were discussing this right before I got out of the military. With or without the DADT policy, the same amount of gay people would have been in the service. So will the gay military members start yelling their sexual preference to their homophobic colleagues now that they are free to? Not if they want to finish their military career in peace.

The only thing effected is the state of mind of newly informed armed soldiers; people who are apparently brave and strong enough to undergo mental and physical tortures for the freedom of a country, but get squeamish if they find out Airman Frost has a tendency to watch Queer Eye. Personally, the "gayest" experience I've had in my life was military boot camp, where men ran through the dorms wearing nothing but canteens and whipping other naked men with brown towels.

And I can see, especially through sizzle's comment, how little difference the repeal can make. After all, if a commander says "don't talk about this or that," continuing to do so is disrespect and violation of a direct order--and there would be nothing preventing a commander from giving such an order. The only people who seem to think progress has been made are the civilians.

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 06:53:02 PM »
I remember they were discussing this right before I got out of the military. With or without the DADT policy, the same amount of gay people would have been in the service. So will the gay military members start yelling their sexual preference to their homophobic colleagues now that they are free to? Not if they want to finish their military career in peace.

The only thing effected is the state of mind of newly informed armed soldiers; people who are apparently brave and strong enough to undergo mental and physical tortures for the freedom of a country, but get squeamish if they find out Airman Frost has a tendency to watch Queer Eye. Personally, the "gayest" experience I've had in my life was military boot camp, where men ran through the dorms wearing nothing but canteens and whipping other naked men with brown towels.

And I can see, especially through sizzle's comment, how little difference the repeal can make. After all, if a commander says "don't talk about this or that," continuing to do so is disrespect and violation of a direct order--and there would be nothing preventing a commander from giving such an order. The only people who seem to think progress has been made are the civilians.

Oh how I remember things like that...

Your post makes a lot more sense to me, especially:
The only people who seem to think progress has been made are the civilians.
This quote will be legend