Author Topic: The Unsung War Fanfic  (Read 2298 times)

Forgotten_Bard

• Tier 7
  • Darkness2399
  • Current Mood: tired tired
The Unsung War Fanfic
« on: June 02, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »
A Widely acknowledged game by simulation fans and others as a great jet fighter game.  A story that enshrines a depth few could assume and a compelling drive to play through it.  Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War is worthy of praise in not just story but also original score with unforgettable moments and emotion drawing tales of Heroism, Betrayal and the struggle to end a crushing war that should have never happened in the first place.  I give you, my fanfic on the Unsung War...

(Note: This story will skip between 1st and third person at intervals as the story is told from two points of view, A reporter watching events from the land and the brave pilots that took to the sky.)

15 years ago, there was a war.  Well... war's broken out here plenty of times before.  They have tried to invade the south lands through the northern valley time and time again.  Luck was never on their side, though, and their victories didn't last long.  They didn't realize that times had changed.  Facing one defeat after another, losing territory and watching their nation dwindle.  They built up their industrial strength to unprecedented heights and used it to wage one final battle with against world.  That was 15 years ago...

They fought ferociously, but were utterly defeated.

The Belkans then committed the unthinkable--  they used nuclear weapons on their own soil.  Seeing this tragedy unfold before their own eyes the victorious countries vowed to throw down their weapons.  The world was once again at peace, and thanks to them it seemed it would last forever.  On a distant island, far away from civilization, the protectors of this peace took to the skies.
Cape Landers 05'32'17"N 152'16'02"E 1109hrs. Sep. 23, 2010
Red alert!

I was in the sky, trying to get the training team in my view finder from the rear seat of the lead plane.  My pilot in the front seat was howling at the earth below.  I heard the radio beep for confirmation and my pilot responded,  "Give me a break!  I'm babysittin' nuggets up here!"

Command Room to to Wardog squadron.  We have leakers, aircraft type unknown.  Crossing the border at Cape Landers, bearing 2-7-8 to 3-0-2.  Captain Bartlett your flight is the only group close enough to make the intercept."

"Baker, Svenson, go trail and stay close.  The three of us will go high and engage the bandits, all other stay low and out of the fight." Bartlet barked off the command and I barely had time to register as he maneuvered into a tight turn and broke off with three of the fighters.  My world turned upside down and my stomach turned inside out.  I didn't last much longer after that...

Sand Island Air Force Base 1352hrs.

"Sorry 'bout this."  The Captain's apology to me seemed misplaced.  One instructor had survived the fight but crashed on landing.  The other one was killed in action high up in the clouds, it wasn't his fault that the unidentified aircraft fired on us without warning.  Nor was it his fault that the low altitude area where he had sent his trainees was directly in front of the enemy.  Eight people died because the Command Room had misplaced some zeros.

"That pilot in the number seven was amazing, did you see her fight back?"

"I couldn't bare to watch.  Nagase you keep flying like that and you will die real soon!"

"I won't die, sir."  The only surviving trainee's voice was almost a whisper.

"Are you sure?  You look like you couldn't hurt a fly."

Her face was pale, but she still managed to smile a bit for the camera.  The photo, along with my camera, was confiscated by base security.  It was almost as if our little undeclared war never happened.  I came to cover this remote island because I heard a very unique squadron leader was stationed here.  I didn't realize he was this unique though.  This badmouthed, good-natured old fire brand could take the greenest of rookies and forge them into the fierce-some fighter pilot. Of course, that possibility vanished with today's encounter.  The only crew he had left now were Second Lieutenant Nagase and the few pilots who happened to be on the ground that day.

"I know you don't like this, but we are short on people.  Starting tomorrow, all you nuggets are going to be sitting alert, if we launch stay glued to me up there.  Nagase,"

"Sir."

"You're Number Two on my wing, gotta keep an eye on you or who knows what you will get yourself into."

Blaze checked his instruments one more time and snapped his attention ahead, his radar tagging the three jets in front of him as Chopper, Heartbreak One and Edge.  In that order, Lt. Davenport, Cpt. Bartlett and Lt. Nagase, his three squad members on this run, a simple encounter with an unidentified spy aircraft that was damaged from a friendly SAM somewhere farther out.  The mission was simple, contact and hold the plane until retrieval, though it never really seemed so simple to him or his other three crew members.  Blaze was with Chopper on the ground when the ill fated attack struck while Heartbreak One and Edge were the only two survivors from the run in.  Everyone was on edge, maybe more so than usual.

"This is Heartbreak One, of Wardog Squadron we are approaching the target."

"This is AWACS, codenamed Thunderhead.  Wardog Squadron you are to approach the recon aircraft and signal it to land, from there you will await further orders."

"You get that Nuggets?"
"Wardog 2, roger."
"Wardog 3, roger."

"...Wardog 4! Hellooo?  Can you hear me, kid?  You better be markin' our tail son!!"

laze snapped out of his thoughts to correct his flight, picking up the slack to close of the back of the formation before turning on his radio. "Wardog 4, roger."

"Looks like you're confident at least.  Don't get separated from me."
"Man!  I'm glad you drew the short straw instead of me!"
"Second Lieutenant, Alvin H. Davenport, zip it!  You need a nickname too?"
"I respectfully asked to be called "Chopper," Sir.  I'm afraid I may not be able to respond to any other moniker."
"Hmm.  That does fit you well...  I've got a better name for you, but I'll keep it to myself.  Okay?"
"Aw, cut me some slack, man!"
Tally ho, we got company.  Let's go."

Blaze smiled under his mask at the banter between the Captain and Lieutenant as he corrected his flight path once more before turning to follow the other three, sweeping their formation from over the coast to above ocean waters, the reconnaissance plain not far ahead but still managing to distance itself from them.  His smile slipped away as he tried to concentrate on the mission once more, noting how Lt. Nagase was able to keep her mouth shut and mind focused on the mission.  He heard his radio crackle with Bartlett's voice once more.

"You are forbidden to fire until I give permission, understand?"
"Wardog 4, roger."
"Good boy."

Somehow, Blaze knew Bartlett was still pulling him and only him for the slow response and he smirked, keeping his mouth shut since Chopper already seemed to have that covered.  Instead he just adjusted his flight path, slowing down a bit to let Heartbreak One get a bit of a lead before he pulled up into formation.  His eyes watched the IFF tags and the plane ahead, keeping track of any change in the operation.  He kept his cool as they drew within hailing range of the unknown aircraft.

"Alright, where is Motormouth Chopper?"
"Wha?... That's your name for me?"
"You've got a knack for comic dialogue.  You mind sending the surrender request for me?"
"Oh no, please, age before beauty."
"I'm real shy around strangers, you know..."
"Sheesh.  Testing, testing... Attention, unidentified aircraft.  Set your course for our beacon immediately."
"Good."
"Ugh... we will direct you to the nearest airfield.  Lower your gear if you understand."

Everything seemed quiet, everyone waiting for the signs of acknowledgment from the craft when the AWACS Thunderhead's voice crackled on over their radios. "Warning!  We have four high speed bogeys approaching inbound.  Approaching aircraft bearing 2-8-0, altitude 6,000!  Hold your fire until further orders."

"Crossing the pond to fly cover for their spy plane, huh?   Now there's a fighter pilot worth his wings.  Enemy inbound bearing 2-8-0! Head on."

Blaze felt his throat tighten and his thumb rested against the safety lock on his weapons, watching his radar for incoming bogeys as he forced himself to stay in position.  From unknown spy planes to incoming aircraft, this assignment seemed to change faster than he could keep up with.  Still Edge's silence kept him focused and even a short break from Chopper's talks was enough to let him realize that, even with other planes up here, he was alone in his own craft.  And that sent a chill down his spine.

"You're not to fire until I say it is okay, got me?"  He sent his response and put aside his nervous thoughts as Bartlett gave him another, "Good boy," as if he was a dog being trained by his master...  Though Bartlett was supposedly the best there was.  And, Blaze figured, being joked with was better than being on the raw side of his temper.  He looked ahead until he saw flashing streaks racing past them and Chopper's voice confirmed it all.  "Heads up!  They're firing on us!"  Even as the call was registering he watched and felt his own body react as his squadron broke off to avoid incoming cannon fire.  His voice cursing as Thunderhead's voice came back to shut out his next move.

"Wardog Squadron, weapons safe!  Hold your fire until further orders!"
"Oh come on! Those aren't blanks they're firing out there!"
"Shut your mouth and fire back!"

Bartlett's voice rang back crystal clear across the radios and it was then Blaze noticed he had already thumbed off the safety on his missiles, his targeting system getting an auto lock on one of the enemy fighters.  He watched as the firing diamond lined up with the square to signify an enemy bandit and heard the subtle blare of the noise for target lock as he fired a single missile towards his foe, the streams of vapor from the missile forming a white trail that streaked across the sky, heading to meet with the indicated foe, turning to stay on target.  Turning his jet to stay on course as the missile impacted, yet the plane still seemed to press on, smoke trailing from behind as he got within gun range and his fingers pulled on the trigger, the dull buzz of the guns sounding off as he adjusted to lead his target, bullets rattling off of its fuselage before the whole thing ignited as one and fell as a smoking wreck.  Blaze swallowed as he turned around for another fighter, noting that the other pilot didn't eject when his plane was taken out.

"Captain Bartlett, this is Thunderhead.  You are violating direct orders."
"Shove it!  I'm not gonna watch any more of my pilots die!"

His jet screamed around the turn to find another target as his squad members sounded off.  "Edge Engaging!"  His head spun to watch her peel off towards another enemy fighter.

"We're gonna shoot them all down, kid."

He nodded to himself as he straitened out, bearing down on another fighter as two missiles streaked past him, his eyes watching their trails as they struck his target before Heartbreak one screamed past his right and, who he assumed to be edge, passing low underneath him.  Head looking on radar for another target he pulled back on the joystick as he pushed the engines harder, his plane racing high into the sky, almost vertical before pulling back more, his head looking at the ocean that now seemed to be above him as he rotated out, firing two more missiles fore the last foes as his own systems screamed over a missile lock.

He could see it coming, a point of a yellow flash with a white trail forming behind it as he rolled and turned away, watching it turn to follow his course as he slowed down and sharply turned into it, passing tighter and lower than the missile could handle as the lock was broken and it streaked off into the ocean below.  His heart pounded as he could hear the explosions confirm missile hits and he looked to see if any other remained.  His radar blipped up four more enemy fighters flying in.

"My only regret... Is not flying with a Captain with a sunnier disposition."
"Wardog I ordered weapons safe for all aircraft, I did not give permission to fire."

Blaze ignored Thunderhead as he turned to charge head on at the incoming fighters, his adrenaline picking up as he felt the rush of the dog fight, his finger hovering over the missile firing button as he waited for a confirmed lock on.  The long ring of the lock sounded at away went the two missiles, shrieking up to hit the underside of a new fighter before the pilot could react, the remaining three breaking away, their guns firing out at his squad members as he turned to follow the separate one from the group.  His systems warning of a radar lock, not needing the call from Edge to warn him of the bandit that had changed to lock on his tail.  Sweat beaded as he was unsure of what to do exactly.  The last one he avoided the missile, but this guy was going to chase him like he did his friend, and the outcome wouldn't be too nice if it repeated itself.  looking back he fired his missiles and tried to break away, but the enemy craft followed with ease as he wasn't easily shaken off.

Turning hard right in a slow spiral to the ocean he tried to chicken the other out of the chase, though the sweeping gun fire that passed too close for comfort confirmed that wouldn't be the case.

"Heartbreak One, Fox Two."

The voice was clear on the radio and he pulled up as quick as he could, unable to look back though the silencing of the weapons confirmed the fighter was no more.

"Blaze, this is Chopper, don't be getting nervous now... You okay?"
"Yea, I'm good."
"Okay, okay I hear ya."
"If you need help, ask for it sooner, rather than later."

Blaze looked around and checked radar though it seemed all targets were confirmed taken out.  And then that other voice confirmed it, "All unknown enemy aircraft confirmed destroyed."

"This is your Captain, can you hear my voice?"
"Yes, sir."

"Good, it looks like we can all hear each other.  Alright, looks like we are all alive, good work nuggets.  Wardog 4, you still following us?"Blaze checked his heading and flew back around to fall into position before responding.  "Well to commemorate we all made it out of that battle alive.  I'm gonna let you keep your nickname.  From now on, I'm gonna call you "Kid" no matter what.  Got it?  Good."

Blaze didn't argue as he let out his pent up breath and followed Heartbreak One back to base, thankful that the battle was over.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 02:53:41 PM by Forgotten_Bard »
A letter, a word
A sentence, a paragraph
A page, a story
A book, a novel.
They all mean so little when you can't take time to put your soul into the work.

Forgotten_Bard

• Tier 7
  • Darkness2399
Re: The Unsung War Fanfic
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 06:02:23 PM »
Amidst the eternal waves of time
from the ripple of change shall storm rise.
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath...
The whole affair with the unidentified aircraft was covered up.  There was even a rumor going around that it was actually a UFO.  Officially, the world was still at peace.  Having witnessed the battle myself, I wasn't allowed to leave the island.  Looking out at the run way and setting sun from my bench in front of the hangars, Captain Bartlett leaned next to the large door to my right as one of the maintenance guys, who prefers the name "Pops" worked on a damaged plane behind me.

"Why do they even bother reprimanding me anymore?  I know I'm gonna be stuck at Captain forever."

I look over to Bartlett as he speaks to both me and the sky above him, "Who do you think's covering up the battle?"

"Listen...  The only thing across that ocean is Murska Air Base.  That's Yuktobanian territory."

"But haven't we been allies with the Yukes since the war 15 years ago?"

"Yea.  That's why we've got people working their asses off, trying to confirm what the hell is foing on over there.  I bet they've got hot lines ringing off the hook somewhere upstairs.  The Government doesn't want to get the public riled up with this, you know?  But it doesn't matter, soldiers like us are too stupid to think for ourselves, so we just gotta keep our mouths shut when they tell us to.  I feel kinda bad for you actually."

"It's all right, I get to be with you guys."

"Captain is probably hating this more than anybody.  He used to have a lady friend over in Yuktobania."

"Ahh... That's just an old war wound now."
Sand Island 08'01'13"N 145'24'32"E 1030 Hrs.  Sep. 27, 2010

AWACS Thunderhead
Wardog, this is Thunderhead.  Unmanned recon drones returning to spy vessel.  Shoot them down before they get back to the ship.
Bartlett
Sure thing.  You get that, gang?
Yes, sir.
Alright, let's go.

Blaze put his engines to full, his plane speeding up as he did so.  Like the last mission around he trailed behind in his designated F-5E, also known as the Tiger II, and followed up the squadron.  However, at Bartlett's comment he now raced past, maneuvering over the fight lead as he switched off the weapons safe on his missiles, watching his HUD and the Radar for enemy UAVs.  He felt better knowing there were no pilots in these things.  Since the last mission he had bee thinking about how easily the enemy was able to track him and it bothered him quite a bit to know they were far better than he was... He wasn't about to let a few Unmanned vehicles show him up this time.

Up ahead he could see the first two of his eight targets from the briefing.

Bartlett
Our orders are not to fire on the ship.  Understood?
Wardog 4, roger.
Good,  Aim only for the recon planes.

Just as the last comment came through the radio his first lock came up and he fired one missile away, shifting the weapons system to lock onto the second drone before firing another.  He turned left and watched the two missiles streak trails of white behind them as they flew, straighter than arrows, towards their targets, twin explosions confirming the hits.

Bartlett
How you doin', Kid?  Pretty easy, huh?
Easier than a real pilot.
Okay, lets hurry up and finish this.

He turned his F-5E to bear down on another two UAVs, chasing them down like he really was a tiger, and they were his prey, firing missiles to silence their observations once and for all.

Nagase
Are those drones remote-controlled?
Chopper
I'm glad there aren't any live people in these things.  Aren't you?
You said it.
So we can shoot 'em down and not worry about it.

He nodded, watching two more splash confirmations as he checked radar, seeing four of them close to the vessel that launched them as he turned, adjust his course and speed to race on ahead again, leaving his squadron behind him as he moved to keep them from returning back.  Waiting for those weapons locks so he could get rid of them.

Barlett
You better not get sloppy just because they're unmanned drones!

He ignored the comment, still keeping his body focused to the mission.

Nagase
Other recon crafts have probably reached the mainland, too.
Bartlett
I sure hope not.

That comment prickled realization in his mind that this might not be a solitary instance and something haunted his thoughts about what or who might really behind this, and where it could lead.  The auto-lock system pulled him from this dark corner and he snapped his attention back to the drones that were still racing closer and he fired.  His path too fast to change and fire missiles as he pulled the trigger to his guns, ripping apart another drone as he raced ahead.  As he moved to turn around, Heartbreak One but in the final missile to silence the UAVs for good.

AWACS Thunderhead
Warning! Multiple bogeys inbound, closing fast.
Bartlett
Same attack axis as before?
AWACS Thunderhead
2-8-0.  Same vector as last time!
Bartlett
Geez, how many planes they got lined up at the border?  We've only got four on our side...  We'd better abort.  This way.

Blaze frowned at the sudden appearance of more fighters and he banked right, coming back around to fall in behind Heartbreak One.

"Think you can stick to my tail?"
"Shouldn't be to hard."
"Good boy."

He watched as Heartbreak One kicked it to full, same with edge and he repeated without question, pulling away from incoming fighters and headed back to the closer reach of their base.  He saw Chopper's plane rush past as well... in the opposite direction as he fell behind.

Chopper
I can't make it.  They're running me down.
Bartlett
Oh, you taking the trail position today Rock 'n' Roller?  Hold on I'll clear your 6'oclock for you.
Chopper
Dammit, why'd I have to draw the short straw today?
Bartlett
Everyone else, quit gawkin' and start shootin'!

Blaze broke left ans Edged swept around to the right, running back to engage the bogeys that chased down Chopper and had him in their cross hairs.  Remembering a few days back he waited until he reached missile range and fired off tow, both trails of smoke heading into a chicken race with the lead fighter.  The fighter lost.  the wrecked plane streaked just past his cockpit as he flew and Blaze felt himself freeze up in that split second.  Warning alarms of the enemy lock on him shook him back to reality as he dove for the ocean, diving close near the waves before rocketing back up into the sky behind them, rolling around to chase one of them by their tail.

AWACS Thunderhead
Captain Bartlett!
Edge
Enemy fire confirmed, turning to engage.  Edge, engaging.
Bartlett
Heartbreak One, engaging.
Chopper
Chopper, engaging.
AWACS Thunderhead
Wardog, you are not clear to engage at this time!
Bartlett
We're gonna shoot them all down, Kid!
AWACS Thunderhead
You splashed an enemy without permission to engage?  What were you thinking Wardog?

Blaze ignored Thunderhead as he curved to chase down another fighter, his radar picking up one that seemed to slow down to get on his own six.  He frowned ad slowed down immediately and pulled low as the second fighter raced over head.  He smiled and curved up, chasing down his original attacker and fired a missile, pulling too close to engage a second one and swept across his tail with gun fire.

Chopper
Where did they come from?  Are they with that other group that attacked here too?  Are they here to get back at us for those drones or what?
Nagase
Are those the same fighters from before?

Blaze didn't know so he didn't say.  But he remembered that one jet going down, the ejector seat not firing as it spiraled, trailing smoke and crashed into the beach far below and he felt sick for a moment.  Moving around to correct his flight path but not looking for another target as he tried to straiten out his thoughts.

Nagase
Break right, bandit on the Captain's tail, I'm on it.

He watched the indicator that marked Edge break away to take down the bandit of the Captain's six and he turned to follow up on another that streaked past where he was, tracking the pilot who continued to weave and duck, making the auto lock impossible as he closed the distance, pulling the trigger and watching tracer rounds flash by, ripping through the pane and the open sky as smoke began to trail, yet the pilot didn't seem to give, banking a weak turn before his plane couldn't handle it any more and exploded.  There were only two left, and both were charging right for him as he turned to face them.  Rushing head on without worrying about it as they drew closer rapidly, him closing at an easy 675 miles per hour and them almost an equal speed.  Anticipating the lock he fired just as it flashed up, twin missiles racing ahead to take on one plane as he fired his guns across the top of the second as it rushed under him.  Curving around once more to its tail to pick of lost ground, he had this one.

He fired a missile as it curved up to avoid it and he followed with a blaze of his guns and another missile as he straitened out again.  He splashed the target.

AWACS Thunderhead
Picture clear!  All enemies are destroyed.

"Warning still in effect, keep your heads on a swivel."
"Heads up they are still below us Nagase."

Blaze looked at the ocean below, scanning until he saw the spy vessel clearly.  he sow a puff of smoke and suddenly a streak of white as it cut across the sky, right for Nagase's plane.  She curved hard, pushing her plane to try and out run the gaining missile as it refused to be shaken off of its course.  Things seemed grim and he could only watch as Captain Bartlet rotated in before barrel rolling away the missile jumping from her heat signature to his as he lead it low and close to the ocean before curving around, spinning at the last moment as the missile clipped the end of his right wing, smoke trailing from it as it began to descend.

"Captain!"
"Save the water works will ya?  These things are replaceable, it's getting the crew back that's what counts.  I'm just gonna bail out here, make a call to scramble the search and rescue helicopter and my spare plane."

"Warning, warning!  Wardog squadron, return and refuel immediately!"
"But the rescue helicopter isn't here yet."

"Leave that to the rescue team and refuel and relaunch... The enemy just declared war on us..."
A letter, a word
A sentence, a paragraph
A page, a story
A book, a novel.
They all mean so little when you can't take time to put your soul into the work.

Forgotten_Bard

• Tier 7
  • Darkness2399
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 07:55:07 PM »
This was the room... or the cell... I had been assigned to.  The Crew Quarters with a small room that took almost no time to walk between with a single window that looked out at some of the hangars and a strip of the runway.  To the left was a bunk bed, the bottom one was mine while the top belonged to the pilot, Alvin H. Davenport, or Chopper as he liked to be called.  Opposite the bed was a single couch, followed by a small bed-side table that happened to be on the wrong side.  It held countless pictures, probably Chopper's old friends and so on.  Beside that was a table with a radio and dozens of records on it, posters of various bands covering the wall...

Crew Quarters, 1205 Hrs. Sep 27, 2010

Captain Hamilton... unlike his superior, the Base Commander who locked me in here, he's been very reasonable with me.  He even got my camera back.  He told me that, if his uncle wasn't a soldier he'd like to have a job like mine.  He was on the phone and seemed... troubled, his fingers tapping the top of the phone a couple of times before he looked at me.

"Well... we don't have a reason to hold you anymore?"

"What do you mean?" I rose as I asked him and his gaze seemed to follow the action.

"Yuktobania just declared war, they've launched an offensive simultaneously too.  Our naval port in St. Hewlet is being bombed right now."  Hamilton removed his cap and swept his brow as he left the room, and I walked over to my one window, fingers sliding apart the shades to look out into the sun as the fighters took off once more...

There were only three of them now.
AWACS Thunderhead
Due to pressing circumstances, I'll be issuing an emergency in-flight briefing.

"Our naval base at St. Hewlet reports that Yuktobanian aircraft have launched a surprise attack on the port.  The situation there is critical, with wide spread panic.  Ships from the 3rd Osean Naval Fleet docked at the port are currently under attack and taking heavy losses.  Hurry to port St. Hewlet and provide air cover for our vessels attempting to escape the bay.  Among these ships is the Aircraft carrier, Kestrel.  It is the flag ship of the 3rd Naval Fleet and a critical combat asset.  You must protect the Kestrel at all costs."

AWACS Thunderhead
Thunderhead to Wardog, Edge you lead the formation.
Edge
Negative, you take the lead Blaze, I'll fly on your wing.
AWACS Thunderhead
Second Lieutenant Nagase, follow your orders.
Nagase
No, Blaze is leading, I'll protect his 6'oclock and I am not gonna lose another flight lead.
Snow
Quit screwing around, this is war, the enemy is all over and their gonna eat you alive.
Chopper
Uhh, I'd better stick to the trail position, thanks.
Snow
This is Captain Snow, callsign Swordsman, engaging next enemy formation, give me a position.
Excalibur
This is the AA Cruiser, Excalibur, the ship blocking us up ahead, you need to clear away, we cannot use our Spy Radar.
AWACS Thunderhead
Cleared to engage!

At the last call from Thunderhead Blaze pushed forwards, taking his plane to the lead position before moving to the right, trailing after a group of A-6Es as he turned off his weapon safes.

AWACS Thunderhead
Blaze, engage.
Edge
Edge, engaging.
Chopper
Chopper, engaging.
Nagase
I'll cover your six, alright Blaze?
Alright.
Blaze you take the lead. I'll go rail and follow.

He nodded to himself as they were within missile range, firing off two missiles as they streaked towards the enemy attack plane, both splashing on target.

Osean Fleet
The tanker next to us just exploded!  Where's the fire boat?  It's spreading to our ship.  Help us!
Nobody saw them coming?

Blaze curved out and moved to the next target, looking below at the confusion in the port as radio calls from the fleet and other squadrons filtered in through the Radio.  He tried not to pay attention to them as he moved off, taking down another enemy plane, but he couldn't turn a deaf ear to what happened just below him.

Osean Fleet
The fire boat got caught in the explosion!  Two... no, three ships are burning now.
...This is not a drill...
Oh, thanks for the heads-up, you idiot!

He dove and turned to his left, coming down almost right on top of the next plane, firing his missiles, as one streaked past to hit the water.  Fortunately there were no friendlies in that area.  The second missile hit near the back of the plane and his gun fire cut across its top until it was shot down.

Osean Fleet
Protcet the Kestrel at all costs!
It's time for our Aegis ship to live up to its name.
Thanks everyone.  We request your cover until we break free of the port.
Edge
Blaze, this is Edge.  Have you located the Carrier Kestrel.
Roger, Edge.
I've picked it up as well, looks like it's still alright.

Blaze looked to confirm that the Kestrel was okay before turning to engage another pair of attack fighters, crossing over docks and ships below as he made sure his firing lines were clear and wouldn't hurt any unwanted areas or people.

Nagase
The entire gulf is in flames!
Chopper
Man, what happened here?  This is worse than even I imagined.

He tried not to but he looked at the burning oil and gas on top of the waters and the wreckage of ships and planes alike that floated where they sunk or crashed.  Two more attack fighters came on radar and he moved to silence them before they could do any more damage.

Port Captain
This is the Port Captain.  All vessels, leave port immediately!  Ships nearest the exit first!
Osean Fleet
I don't care if we take hull damage!  We are clearing out of here any way we can.
Escape the port and take evasive action.  No mistakes!
Kestrel
This is the aircraft carrier Kestrel.  Approaching port exit.
Port Captain
Roger, Kestrel.  The Kestrel takes top priority!  That barge over there, move it!  I know you want outta here, but open up a path! That carrier is valuable!

Blaze rolled to dodge a charging plane as Chopper broke off to take it down.  He scanned for a new target and turned right, Edge banking to follow as he flew down and took out another plane before it had a chanse to fire on any of their ships, watching the smoking wreckage streak down and crash in a previously occupied area where one of the Frigates used to be.

Kestrel
Missile impact! 600 feet off port bow.
Osean Fleet
The Kestrel is in open waters! Bon Voyage guys!
Port Captain
All friendly aircraft, protect the Kestrel for us!
Snow
This is Swordsman.  On my way.  That's our ship.
AWACS Thunderhead
Negative!  This is AWACS Thunderhead.  Swordsman, remain in the Eastern sector, protect our port and the remaining territory.
Snow
But that's my carrier!
AWACS Thunderhead
Wardog, provide cover for the Kestrel!
Snow
Dammit, you pidheaded... All right, I'm counting on you, Wardog.  Don't lose our ship.

The entire port, air and sky seemed to be in cause, and even what Blaze listened to he had to filter out from all the other please for help and calls.  gun fire blazed past him and he shook his head and returned fire back, shooting down another ship as his missiles streaked through the black smoke to hit the second fighter as well.  His head moved in the cockpit until he spotted the carrier, checking his instruments as he banked around, making one sweep over it before he ordered Chopper and Edge to disperse... There was no way they could cover the whole sky as is...

Kestrel
Range to bay exit, 3 miles.
Osean Squadron
AWACS, Bogey Dope! Give me a target.
AWACS Thunderhead
Bogeys inbound off of vector 2-8-0... It's no use!  There's too many of them!
Osean Squadron
Get a hold of yourself!  Your radar control is critical!
Osean Fleet
I'm abandoning ship! We're sitting ducks over here.
Come back here!  You coward!
Is he trying to kill us?  What kind of Captain is that??
AWACS Thunderhead
Wardog, this is Thunderhead.  We need you to take care of the Kestrel.
Wardog 4, Roger.
Good.  We're counting on you, Wardog.  Don't take your eyes off the Kestrel.
Nagase
The ships are finally starting to move.  Get out of the gulf, fast!

Blaze looked back once more before moving to intercept fighters who had yet to cross into the bay area.  Edge banked to the right, taking out what aircraft broke through and made it for the ship as Chopper went left and took out the ones he couldn't get to in time.  Captain Snow and the other squadrons scrambled around the port and the ships, covering all the spaces they couldn't fill.  Even with this rushed cover, everyone could feel the weakness if even one ship broke through to the Kestrel.  And everyone's nerves were spilling over the edge they were set on.

Osean Fleet
Enemy attack!  Return fire!
Calm down!  Just calm down!
Enemy anti-ship missiles launched!  Begin phalanx fire!

Machine gun and intercepting artillery fire broke out across the radio before the signal cut out again.

Osean Fleet
No! Stop! You're firing on the docks!
Enemy planes at 3'oclock!
3'oclock from who?  You're not helping us here!
Hurry up and drop the life boats!

Another attack bomber taken out.  He banked hard and fast to catch up to the two that passed him, his eyes looking at his missile reserves, noting he only had 20 left.  He had to gain closer distances and start using gun fire unless he wanted to risk exhausting all weapons.

Osean Fleet
What are you doing?  Hurry up and get out of here!
This is it, it's over!
Man, this is the worst day of my life...
Kestrel
Missile impact directly off the bow!  Do we have enough chaff left?
Snow
Smoke's blocking my view ahead.  I'm cutting in.
Nagase
The enemy already has the Kestrel within firing range.

Nagase's comment shook him from his chocking point as he swept around and flew straight over the Kestrel, cutting left and chasing down more fighters, watching his HUD for the auto-lock as more planes seemed to just keep coming.  How did so many planes make it this far?

Nagase
Those...  those are people floating in the waves...
I shouldn't have looked.  When that enemy plane crashed and coated the water in flames.  There were people right there, I could see their faces.  So many of them.  Somebody stop this!  I can't take it anymore!
Chopper
Kid, did you see that?
. . .
Come on, say something, Kid.

Blaze couldn't say anything.  His eyes were almost misted over as he only looked ahead, his radar telling him the enemy had formed a blockade out ahead somewhere.  And they were headed right for it...  All that work to push free of the port, and they still had to fight.  He just wanted to go hope, forget this happened, pretend it was a dream.  Something other than fighting this damn battle!  He only flew strait and listened to the radio chatter.

Osean Fleet
We are out of the gulf, but stay alert.
Chopper
The carrier's entering the ocean.  C'mon whoever's out there, help us out!  Get that bucket of bolts out of here.
Anderson
This is the Captain of the aircraft carrier, Kestrel.  My congratulations to all ships that managed to escape.  As Captain I will now form a provisional battle fleet.  The enemy's built a blockage with their fleet in front of us.  We will have to break through this and escape to safer waters, good luck everyone.  Al friendly aircraft your support is requested.

The smooth and calm speaking of the Captain, after all the chaos in the port, was refreshing to Blaze and he listened to it with great interest.  The words rang clear and his sorrow melted away to a purpose as he slowly started to push his plane forwards, charging at the ships still far ahead, intending to clear the way to save more lives and help the fleet escape.  The odds were still not on their side.  But he would try...

AWACS Thunderhead
Blaze this is Thunderhead.  Are you clear on the mission objective?
Roger, Thunderhead.
Roger, begin the mission at once.

The distance between himself and the first frigate closed rapidly as he readied his remaining reserve of missiles, firing once and chasing close after it.  his gun firing off as it cut across the side of the ship from one end to the next as the missile impacted, blowing a hole in its side as it began to sink.  Nagase and Chopper raced past for the enemy Destroyer, their missiles bursting across the deck and rendering its anti-aircraft eapons inoperable as he charged in once more.  All their guns firing away at the deck and armor as missiles streaked out, massing explosions on all sides as it began to list to port heavily and the beast was down.  Aircraft rushed past them and he ordered Nagase and Chopper to go cover the fleet as he raced on, moving to the next ship in the blockade.  Anti-aircraft fire cutting out the sky infront of him as he manuvered to stay out of range.

Osean Squadron
There's gotta be an enemy aircraft targeting the carrier from over the horizon.
Kestrel
Stay on the lookout for inbound long-range anti-ship missiles
Osean Fleet
Bring all the wounded inside, we don't have time to treat them.
This is what we trained for!  We can do this!
As long as we are still afloat we have a fighting chance!
Maintain fleet formation, we are gonna break right through!
Chopper
They broke through!  That is one tough boat man!

"One, two, three... On, two, three planes!  Count ;em up!  We all made it back safe.  I can't wait to tell the Captain when they pluck him out of the ocean..."

But the Captain, Captain Bartlett, never returned to Sand Island...
A letter, a word
A sentence, a paragraph
A page, a story
A book, a novel.

Forgotten_Bard

• Tier 7
  • Darkness2399
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 09:19:50 PM »
When the rescue chopper arrived, the Captain was nowhere to be seen.  The only thing they found was the retreating enemy intelligence vessel.  This island used to be a place of exile from the rest of the world... it then became the first line of defense against the enemy.

Crew Quarters 1927Hrs.  Sep. 27, 2010

I was sitting in my room, talking to Chopper after he returned from his last mission guarding St. Hewlet and the Kestrel.  "Who will be the flight lead tomorrow?  I wouldn't waste my energy worrying about that is I were you.  We're an auxilary squadron you know, so his highness the Lieutenant Colonel will just come down from the mainland and take over, that's all."  We were listening to one of Chopper's many Rock'n Roll records he had brought with him while he was stationed here.  "Man, I love this sound.  Calms me down, I'm gonna sleep well tonight..."

"I heard that the one who broke the Captain's heart 15 years ago was a Recon Major in the Yuke army."

"Yea, I did my history homework, we were allies back then.  Man, the Base Commander sure wasen't being subtle about making accusations, 'Was there anything suspicious about the Captain's behavior,' he said.  Hell, I was more suspicious about the screw in his damn head."

The next thing we both knew, and heard, were the blare of the Base's air raid sirens.

"Ahh, an air raid?  You gotta be kiddin' me!"

That was the last thing Chopper said to me as he rushed out the door to get to his plane.
Air raid sirens!  Get all flyable jets up into the air!  Blaze sat waiting behind Chopper as he struggled to turn his aircraft on.  Above them the sky was getting darker, occasionally being lit my explosions and gun fire.  Somewhere up there, Nagase was already up, struggling with what few pilots they had to make sure the runway was clear for them to take off.  Chopper got his jet working and rolled off to the runway as he rushed his final checks.  100 feet away from him, off to the side of the pavement, a jet crashed down, the light flashing for an instant before it was out, smoke and fire covering the wreckage as he turned on his own jet, watching the engine flames of Chopper's plane take off as he moved to use the runway next.  The sirens still went off as he ignored his radio, his hands shaking as his spine began to chill, worrying about making it off in time or not as he pulled around, making sure he was lined up to take off.  He didn't even wait for the Control Tower to okay him as he put the thrusters to full and he began to pick up speed, waiting for it to reach 100 miles per hour before he pulled back and shot up into the sky, not slowing down until he was passing over 400 and he curved back into a normal flight.  the darkening sky not helping as he watched his HUD for the correct markers.

Base Control Tower
Control tower to Wardog, intercept the bombers.  Don't let them attack the runway.
Pops
I see you managed to make it up, is your plane alright?
Yea, still solid here.
Glad to hear it, looks like keeping it in good shape has paid off.
Ford
This is Wardog Leader, Lieutenant Colonel Ford.  Approaching Sand Island.  What's your current status?
Chopper
Heh.  Here comes his highness from the mainland now.
Base Control Tower
This is Base Control.  We are under air attack.  Repeat, we are under air attack.
Ford
I trust you can hold the runway until we arrive?
Roger, sir.
Right.  Protect it at all costs.

Blaze pulled hard left, banking out of the way of a charging fighter as he rolled back around, searching out the first of the B-18 Bombers as Chopper and Edge pulled in behind him.  He signaled for them to attack and left it at that as they pushed forwards, taking on the fighter cover around their primary targets.  He drew closer to the first one as warning lights and alarms blared as he pulled up, curving his attack into an improvised loops as he broke away from a missile lock, spinning back around to chase down his missed target.  Another warning sounded and he ordered his Squadron back to cover his six as he charged around a bank left to get the bomber once more.  Firing off two missiles as he charged ahead, guns firing to finally take out the first bomber of the first wave.

Sand Island
Fire team, stop the fire from spreading to our ammo dump.  Get anything flammable out of here, the ammo too.
Chopper
This is Chopper, Kid.  Have you picked up the targets?
Found them.
They even got bombers, they want to destroy the base itself.
Nagase
The bombers that attacked us are turning around.  They are headed back towards Sand Island.
Chopper
We gotta stop them here, or it is all over.  Even I know that.

Not if they could help it...  Blaze pushed back around, sweeping a fighter with gun fire but pushing past, charging down another bomber before it could complete the turn for its next pass, two missiles racing out as he turned to keep track of it, following with a third missile before breaking away, sending another wreck down into the ocean below.  One left in the first wave.

Sand Island
Rescue team help out the wounded.
All free hands, help the fire control crew.
Use the water in the supply tank to put out that fire!

He chased down the final bomber as his squad finally kept his six clear.  Racing ahead he used three missiles to silence it once more, sweeping back around to pass over Sand Island.

"Pops is taking off... Wait, who is that leaving from the hangar?"

Blaze looked down as the Captain's spare plane began to pull off onto the tarmac, moving towards the runway slowly.  Who was left to pilot that aircraft.

Grimm
This is Grimm, I was in the Hangar with the mechanics, I'm taking off!
Chopper
The hell you are!  You're barely out of replacement pilot training.  Aren't there any other pilots left?
Grimm
I didn't see any.
Nagase
There is no time, Grimm I will cover while you take off.
Grimm
I'll try...

He pulled up and around.  His Radar warned him of a second wave of bombers incoming and he moved to intercept.  Nagase passed underneath him, chasing down fighters that got too close to Grimm as the rookie prepared to take off.  Chopper still covered his six but soon broke off to chase off a charging fighter.  He pushed on, firing two missiles and firing his gun into the cockpit of the bomber, fire erupting from the engines as it began to trail down into the sea below.

Chopper
Kid, Grimm's coming up.  I'm not sure he can handle this... Are we just gonna watch?
Not a chance in hell.
Roger, Lets give him a hand.
Grimm
Control systems are... okay.

He charged the incoming bomber, rushing past before slowing down to turn right sharply, chasing from beneath as his missiles lanced up to strike underneath it.  A fresh squadron of enemy fighters rushed across his vision but he continued after the bomber, pulling closer to fire his guns but veering as it stalled out.  As he looked up in his cockpit he could see the entire length of the bottom of the bomber pass barely over his head.  He pulled up high, altitude racing up from 3,000 to 5,000 as he rolled upside down and dove down, right at the target, firing a third missile before pulling away.

Nagase
Grimm's a prime target right now for the enemy.  We have to protect him.
Grimm
Engine sounds good... thank you mechanics.
Sand Island
Make sure you are ready to apply cover at any time.

They began to chase down fighters, his eyes keeping a check on both Grimm and the appearance of any more bombers.  He chased down another fighter who hugged close to the ground, robbing him of firing his guns as he trailed, pulling down then up quickly as he tricked the pilot up, firing two missiles into the aircraft and blowing it up completely as he turned back around.

Grimm
Fuel check.  This outta be enough.
Ejection System okay.
This is Grimm.  I'm abut to take off, Can you see me from up there?
We can see you fine Gimm.
Roger, that is a relief.
I'm in take off position on the runway.  Engines to full power.

For a split second, Blaze passed clear down the length of the run way, 300 feet above Grimm before banking up and around, curving to meet a new fighter.

Sand Island
Come back, come back!
Don't stop him, let him go.
Chopper
Get up!  Get up!  Climb!

Blaze sat through the silence, bearing down on another fighter, gun fire ripping across both its wings until smoke trailed them and it began to spiral down, crashing on the beach bear the edge of the waves, he looked back, trying to find the IFF tag for Grimm.

Grimm
I'm airborne!
Chopper
Grimm!  Get over here and cover my six.
Grimm
Roger.
This is Airman First Class Grimm, Callsign Archer.  Control Tower and all aircraft, I will be joining Wardog Squadron.
Base Control Tower
This is the Control Tower, Roger that!  Blaze, take care of them for us...
Ford
This is Wardog leader, Sand Island, I'm out of fuel.  Request clearance to land.
Control Tower
Negative Lieutenant Colonel Ford!  You can't land!  We're under attack!
Ford
All friendly aircraft, cover me as I Land.
Chopper
What are you, insane?!
Ford
Second Lieutenant Davenport, is that you?
Chopper
Yes, sir.
Ford
I'll make sure to write you up after I la...
Chopper
He's trailing fire!  The Lieutenant Colonel's gone down!
Nagase
Third wave closing fast.
Base Control Tower
This is the control tower.  Another wave of bombers approaching.  Close fast and destroy them.

Blaze had watched Ford go down right next to him when he moved close to fall into position.  His heart raced as additional bombers began to appear for the attack.  He was, once again, left in charge of leading his Squadron into the battle.  he just hoped they weren't always domed to being a three man group, he glanced over his shoulder to get a good look at Archer's plane before he moved to intercept incoming bombers.  He still had a mission to complete.  He closed fast with the final two bombers, firing to missiles into the side of on as it split open, using his gun to silence any doubt of it being up as he fired two more missiles into the top of the second as he rushed over it.  To his side raced an enemy squadron equal to him.

Sand Island
That's some crazy flyin'.
We've resorted to launching him into battle?  This base is toast isn't it?
Nagase
If enemy missiles are inbound, check your radar, the missiles shoulde be displayed on the search screen.
Grimm
I skipped a few items on the checklist, but all systems are go.

Blaze curved in towards the fighters, not wanting to have three enemy fighters pressing him from attacking the bomber.  Rushing through he fired his guns and then both missiles, cutting across three of them before moving back around the chase down the bomber.  One was taken out by the missiles as two began to lightly trai smoke from where his bullets had hit.  And then his Squadron rushed through them.  When he checked his radar and looked around, only one enemy fighter limped away, but Grimm was turning around to fix that.

Sand Island
Amazing!  This is Grimm's first battle?
You better come back in one piece.
That explosion was pretty close...
Hey Blaze, protect Grimm up there.
Nagase
The enemy is confused, no is our chance.

Blaze couldn't agree more as he rushed in on the final bomber once more, closing down to fire off one more missile and watched as the destroyed craft began to bank towards the ocean in its death.

Base Control Tower
Control Tower to all aircraft.  All bombers confirmed destroyed.  Thanks for protecting the base everyone!
Sand Island
Well, guess we didn't need to worry about Grimm after all.
Come on!  Lets get a welcoming party going!

From the sky, the morning after, Pops came back like nothing happened.  As is the open sky had been his one true home.  Only 17 hours had passed since the war began.  Yuktobania's war strategies seemed to be minutely timed to avoid giving Osea any chance to counter-attack.  I got a notice of assignment as a member of the Press Core.  I guess Hamilton pulled a few strings for me.  I didn't waste any time going to work.

2nd Lieutenant Nagase in the crew room.  She was sitting by herself, writing something in her book.  Nobody knew what she was writing.  I realized that these people may have been the story I was looking for all this time.

In fact...  I was sure of it.
A letter, a word
A sentence, a paragraph
A page, a story
A book, a novel.