Author Topic: DNA:To much information?  (Read 3646 times)

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
  • Current Mood: blank blank
DNA:To much information?
« on: May 12, 2010, 01:17:08 AM »
I saw something interesting on the news. There is a new DNA test kit at Wal-Greens stores now. This isn't NEW because these have been out for awhile, but this is the first time they'll be released to retail stores.

The idea behind these is you take a swab of your saliva and send it into the lab, from there you can access information online that tells you what medicine you may have a reaction to, what bad genes you could pass on to your kids, what illnesses and other issues you could develop later in your life, etc.  Most people would say this is a great idea, like myself. Though others believe this is to much information? Why? Do you believe this to be too much information?
This quote will be legend

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: DNA:To much information?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 01:24:30 AM »
Ugh. We had this discussion in Biology, and I hated it.

Well, in my opinion, this is a great idea, and people shouldn't worry about it being too much information. For one, if you do take the test, you don't have to disclose what you discover to other people, which would probably subject you to the judgement of others. Another choice would be not to take the test if you're worried about there being too much information. but this isn't a topic about making a choice, so I'll stop with that.

DNA holds everything about your genetic life, and everyone has it. So technically, DNA testing wouldn't be too much information.
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Sushi

• is a glom.
  • Tier 7
  • FLOAT! FLOAT! FLOAT! ...OLIVEEEEEERRR!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
This made me think of a similar thing with the art program SAI and people saying how the line tool pretty much 'holds the artist's hand' and makes it too easy for them. My response is--"Yeah, I bet that's what everyone said when art programs came with an undo button, and fancy filters." -______- Honestly, as someone with major health problems, and far too many doctor visits to figure out what's freaking wrong with me, this sounds like a great idea. One, people could save so much money and time by not having to go through test after test after test until they finally stumble upon the problem(true story. >____<), and two, it can be life-saving if you find out you have the chance of a disease and can watch for it and treat it early on, not to mention preventing deadly allergic reactions to medications.

Now, I can see where some people are coming from--knowing that much can be dangerous. Especially with the illnesses, that could cause some major depression if you know you're going to have a currently incurable disease, and could even lead to suicide. Also, I'm uneasy about the knowing what genes you could pass on to your children... I can't really explain why, it's just I can see issues rising from that.

But it's a personal choice. If it can help people, I don't think it should be withheld just because some people have issues with it. And like mepwnn says, you own your DNA... it's just like owning a book in another language and having someone translate it for you. Just because you can't understand the language yourself doesn't make you any less entitled to read the book.
"Part of the appeal of the fantastic is taking ridiculous ideas very seriously and pretending they're not absurd." — China Miéville

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 12:20:23 PM »
It is actually beneficial, especially to parents who has a trace of bad genes coming down from their family line. This can help them take early precautions. It may be give much more information than needed, but it's for the best.

Sushi

• is a glom.
  • Tier 7
  • FLOAT! FLOAT! FLOAT! ...OLIVEEEEEERRR!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 12:23:35 PM »
-nod- Yeah; it's probably more helpful than harmful. I can't really say I can see what exactly could go wrong with it, I just have a bad feeling about it. That's not to say I think it shouldn't be provided, though. After all, if problems do arise, laws can always be made against it.
"Part of the appeal of the fantastic is taking ridiculous ideas very seriously and pretending they're not absurd." — China Miéville

Stardale

• Tier 7
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:42:49 PM »
Well, like what they say, having too much leads to trouble. With that, those kits should be available in hospitals, clinics, and pharmacies, not in places like Wal-Greens (unless there is a certain place there that is actually for medical/scientific purposes).

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 01:06:47 PM »
There're two separate things people may be concerned with:

1. Basically a matter of "is ignorance bliss" - corresponding to the ability for someone to find out more info about themselves.
2. Privacy issues - e.g. someone else using this easy-to-access tool to find out information about a third party without their permission.

I think you guys were all touching on the first issue, which I agree is not that significant and can certainly be beneficial. It seems like the main fuss would be over the 2nd one, though. And as of now, many of the info that can be found out about a third party person with the method are protected by law, so this would give it an easy way to breach.

Stardale

• Tier 7
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 01:29:12 PM »
There're two separate things people may be concerned with:

2. Privacy issues - e.g. someone else using this easy-to-access tool to find out information about a third party without their permission.

I think you guys were all touching on the first issue, which I agree is not that significant and can certainly be beneficial. It seems like the main fuss would be over the 2nd one, though. And as of now, many of the info that can be found out about a third party person with the method are protected by law, so this would give it an easy way to breach.

With that, this might be the actual reason why most say it is too much informative. Although this can be useful in so many aspects (i.e medical, scientifical, for police investigations, etc.), it can actually turn out to be a key for privacy breach. In what way is what I just can't imagine. Care to give examples?

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 05:02:57 PM »
I never actually thought of that, Reives. Sure, you could use it yourself on yourself, but you could also use it on someone else without their permission, and that's totally not cool. I wouldn't call that 'too much information,' though, I'd call it a lack of self-control or respect for others.

And yeah, walmart probably isn't the best place to be selling this if there are people who would use it like Reives suggested, which there certainly are.

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 08:44:55 PM »
Well, like what they say, having too much leads to trouble. With that, those kits should be available in hospitals, clinics, and pharmacies, not in places like Wal-Greens (unless there is a certain place there that is actually for medical/scientific purposes).

They take the DNA swab and send it to a lab via mail.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 09:57:33 PM »
oh, the walgreens takes the swab? i thought you took it, and sent it somewhere. that can avoid a lot of uncalled for situations, then

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 10:03:28 PM »
No, no, no. You buy the kit, take it home, fill out the information, take the swab, and mail it to the lab, and wait for the results.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 10:13:10 PM »
oh, okay, it sounded like something else in your last post