Author Topic: Pen vs. Sword?  (Read 9621 times)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
Pen vs. Sword?
« on: April 18, 2010, 04:46:13 AM »
You know how the saying goes. "The pen is mightier than the sword." But is the pen really mightier than the sword? Or is it vice versa? I'm not referring to the superficial meaning of the phrase. My point is that, do literary pieces have a greater power than blood shed?

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
Re: Pen vs. Sword?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 05:03:22 AM »

(It's the pen. The pen starts everything. Literary stories are changing the way people think about vampires and werewolves. If your pieces are strong enough, the can change the world.)

How about the sword? I mean, it also starts everything. Declaring a nation for battle/fighting for independence can influence others that "we won against them! this is a perfect opportunity!". If a community at peril were strong with arms, can't they change the world as well?

Blood Angel Evengelion

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 05:26:35 AM »
Well, bearing arms the right way can help change the world as well. It's just those who would abuse their right of the sword, who shouldn't wield any at all. But a community isn't an army unless they have a good leader. They can protect everything around them, but it's the people first who need to change before the world. It's a one at a time deal.

Sushi

• is a glom.
  • Tier 7
  • FLOAT! FLOAT! FLOAT! ...OLIVEEEEEERRR!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 02:08:49 PM »
Well, the way I see it, you can hack and slash with your sword allll you want, but you're not gonna do much changing of the world if you don't have the words to convince people you're in the right. Changing the world is changing the way people think--and you don't do that with a sword. Sure, you can use a sword to help convince them, but you have to have words--the pen--first.

Also. Side point: http://hollylisle.com/fm/Articles/saving_the_world.html

"Part of the appeal of the fantastic is taking ridiculous ideas very seriously and pretending they're not absurd." — China Miéville

Sizzle

• Tier 7
  • TFP (Retired)
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 07:32:21 PM »
I disagree, a sword can change a lot and convince many, even the stubborn.
This quote will be legend

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »
Since I've been crunch-studying for exams, I'll use an analogy related to that: I think the difference between the two is like photo-memorizing the textbook (i.e. the sword) vs. understanding the concepts and applying them (i.e. the pen). Technically, both methods could get you a decent grade on the exam, but the prior is rigid and robotic and focuses on the result without the cause, where as the latter can potentially reach more to the root of the problem and can be extrapolated to other situations in the future.

But that's not to say that the sword does not have its place. In most cases, the sword offers more efficient short termed results (which is required at times), where as the pen offers long term results but is slow to boot up. Both methods need to be used in the right combination to do the most efficient job.

(And the sword never "convinces" - it simply makes the audience comply.)

Edit:
Also, sometimes what happens is:

Side A: I have the written philosophy that would solve all of our problems, of life, the universe and everything -- if you would just stop rabbling at me for one second so you can hear it.
Side B: RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
Side A: *bonks side B on the head with sword*
Side B: *cricket cricket*
Side A: Now, here's what I wrote with my pen . . .
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:58:35 PM by Reives »

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 06:36:29 AM »
In some cases the written word can be better way how to do things, but in other only sword can c¨be pulled on stage.

Good examples for words: Cold war. (Well fall of Soviet economy was also in role, but thanks to meetings between USA and USSR it never developed into WWIII)
Good examples for sword: WWII (Were Nazi stopped thanks to treaty where Czechoslovakia was in role of scapegoat? Of course not.)
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Avaleaux

• Tier 3
  • My project shall not be abandoned
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 09:27:17 AM »
Pen ~/= Sword but Shield > Sword & Pen! :D
What happened to you Sintel.......?

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 06:34:45 AM »
The Gun.

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 12:11:04 AM »
Hey, you can use a sword to carve words. You can use a pen to stab someone. But we all know that a pen makes a more efficient writing tool while the sword is a better weapon. They do different things.

Serenity.neko

• mepwnn's best friend forevah (orly? [hahah of course {xD}])
  • Tier 5
  • "Bring it."
  • Current Mood: sad sad
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 12:52:06 AM »
Here, think of it this way: During the Revolutionary War, all of those guys got together and made the Declaration of Independence. After the paper was revealed to the public it helped signal(or it did, I'm not sure) the end of the war, and England was so angry they went out and killed all of those men. in this context the pen is most definitely mightier than the sword.

And, by the way, does this saying have anything to do also with the saying: "Actions speak louder than words"? The words = the pen, and the actions = sword? It's weird how sometimes sayings/morals can be opposites, isn't it? |D;;
"I like old houses. They make me feel sad."
"How is that a good thing?"
"Sad is happy for deep people."

-Doctor Who

-----

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." -Oscar Wilde

silversun

• Eshe's Protégé
  • Tier 7
  • Only the blind can see.
  • Current Mood: worried worried
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 12:35:41 AM »
Wars, I think, like Reives said, can set the path to change, but they ultimately do not change. If a war was fought with no treaty at the end, the war did not achieve much, (Ex, the Revolutionary War would have done nothing but killed people if Britain had not agreed to the Treaty of Paris, which granted the US official independence (correct? I don't remember history very well...despite studying it just last year...>.>)).

Oh, and I agree with what Serenity says. The pen, I would say, is the framework of war: ends it, begins it. Maybe it could be likened to a board game? The pen determines the rules and the reward, the war itself determines who gets the reward.
So my question is, are the reward and rules more important then the winner?  ???
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:37:52 AM by silversun »

Come help us out!

EgotisticalRaven

• Leeeeroy Jeeeeenkins!
  • Tier 7
  • ایگوتیستیکال ریون
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 08:24:05 AM »
In English when we were doing debating, I got put to do this topic on the affirmitive side. It is one of the worse topics you can have for debate, purely because there are so many diffrent ways to interpert the phrase. One side could think it's about famous qoutes and literature is more influential than events or action, and the other side could think it means peace is better than war. Then you have two diffrent sides talking to themselves and they sound like they have no idea what's going on, rebutting irrevlevent comments....
My class is so stupid that some of them took it literally and started talking about how hard it is to kill someone with a pen....  ::)
PoisonRabbit is dead, the EgotisticalRaven ate it.