Author Topic: Ending the Decade: What should we call it?  (Read 2332 times)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
Ending the Decade: What should we call it?
« on: December 27, 2009, 08:39:33 AM »
A lot of tragedies in the world occurred ever since the 3rd Millennium entered in our lives. Let us begin with the 9/11 attacks. These tragic attacks has changed international security, and it may be one of the reasons why US waged war against Iraq. The hurricane Katrina also devastated the city of New Orleans. The Tsunamis which devastated countries in southern Asia. The global economic crisis also affected many markets across the globe due to the incorrect way of spending and wasting money such as credit cards and the like. Michael Jackson's death, President Cory Aquino's death, the typhoon Ketsana which devastated the Philippines, and the recent massacre in southern Philippines which killed many individuals - journalists, innocents, passersby and more. Don't forget the infamous biological, A(H1N1), wherein at the same time, we feared eating pork as we first heard the improper term for it: Swine Flu.

With all these things that happened in our world, let us now determine what should we call this decade. What should we do to avoid our mistakes in the future? What should we do?

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
Re: Ending the Decade: What should we call it?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 09:26:55 AM »
Hm nothing too special about this decade imo (at least for affecting the whole mankind).
Humans still repeating the same mistakes.

In the further decades mankind will have to change the principles they work for, just caring for profit will lead to destruction, because someday there will not be enough recources anymore.
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 10:10:31 AM »
You forgot to mention the economy crisis. Though I wouldn't consider Michael Jackson's death a tragedy, that's only my personal opinion.
And it's only 9 years into the decade, the next one will only start in 2011, so we have 1 full year more to atone, if you wish. But for half a minute you actually made me wonder if it was 2010. :-[
I don't think that we could do anything personally to avoid things like H1N1 or Katrina either. You can make sure you don't become a terrorist at least, but I seriously have no idea.
If changing the attitude means caring for Earth and things like that, I think that topic is overtalked. Everyone knows what one can or can't do, the point is whether they decide to do it, or just don't give a sh*t.
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:49:23 AM »
Well we still have last year of this decade defore us...

But as far as I'm looking on that it's not much worse or better then last 20 decades (200 years).
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 10:32:56 PM »
We will have another decade like this and maybe another. Eventually mankind will realize that they can't continue to live like before. But only a really shock will help them to wake up and accept what must be accepted, what they ignored before because the truth is uncomfortable.
Our children will wonder what they did to inherit a world in such a miserable state and finally our wealth will be a curse if we don't get up to our feed and do something.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 02:11:52 AM »
Or let me compare this still unfinished decade with last fives before:
39-45 WWII
46-54 Indochina conflict (war of Viet Minh againts France)
50s- Korea conflict
64-75 Vietnam war
80s- 1979–1989 USSR conflict with Afganistan, breakdown of USSR and Soviet Satelites
90s- Gulf War, Kosovo,
This decade:
11th September
Operation Enduring Freedom
Second Gulf war

Well in compare... Much more civilian targets but from my point of military wiev it's not much worse then last 60 years.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 02:20:54 AM »
I think I agree that the blunders of this last decade don't really stand out much relative to the ones that came before it. However, one key point is that the media and networking system are more developed than they ever were, and hence it feels like things are more troublesome.

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 08:39:48 AM »
I think I agree that the blunders of this last decade don't really stand out much relative to the ones that came before it. However, one key point is that the media and networking system are more developed than they ever were, and hence it feels like things are more troublesome.
I totally agree with that one. Good viewpoint.
And what about the war of the USA and Iraq, Lance?

What I consider worst is not the military movements, though, but the way people use Earth's resources.
You know that saying, right? I suppose it exists not only in Hungary. It says "we didn't inherit the Earth from our grandparents, rather we borrowed it from our grandchildren".
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
Enduring Freedom and Second Gulf War...