Author Topic: The PS2 game that reminds of "The Mirror Lied"  (Read 4415 times)

koon no kami

• Tier 4
  • ya rly!
The PS2 game that reminds of "The Mirror Lied"
« on: June 28, 2010, 08:26:03 AM »

Ah, finally! There IS a PS2 game that's just like " The Mirror Lied " XD
It's even like a hardcore version of The Mirror Lied!
So, the PS2 equivalent to TML is....

>> Rule of Rose << !

I have just finished it yesterday after 15 hours of playtime and - although i was very sceptical at the beginning, i liked it in the end XD . But it is a very expensive / rare game and thus I can not recommend it to everyone...

I wrote a small and honest rewiew about it:

Rule of Rose is a - let ma call it "gloomy adventure" game featuring terrible controls but on the other hand great artistic value. It's a game for extremly patient players only. And I promise, even the most peaceful players will become aggressive at some parts of the game. - And there I thought videogames couldn't make a person aggressive. I was wrong.
Anyhow - when you decide to give Rule of Rose a try - don't be disappointed: On the first run the whole game / storyline  and characters will make absolutely NO sense to you. Up to one point pretty late in the game, where you might get a hunch of what might be going on. Of what the game makers might have had in mind, when they made Miss Jennifer a timid weakling. Running around in a rusty old Airship. That somehow gives you an odd feeling of "wth".
At first sight, the game appears to be some psycho-thriller in a curious arthouse-movie style. But it is actually more a drama like "A little Princess Sara" , retold as a David Lynch movie. Small human imps with animal heads chasing you around dark corners. Scenes and settings that don't seem to add up. Disturbing characters. a general feel of "there's something wrong here...".
The game has a very sudden and rough ending.
OR (if you know how to / check on a walkthrough <.< )  a quite different ending, too... which is probably the "real" ending, since it gives you the chance to search for giant puzzle parts that where obviously (on purpose) missing in the storyline / background story. So that really twisted picture you had to suffer through suddenly makes sense. And you'll be like " OOoooooooooohhh, NOW I get it, duuh..... I had a feeling..."
Anyway - and that is important -  Don't expect an exciting Survival Horror game when you play Rule of Rose. Becaue that's not really what you get. Though you get 15 hours of being very confused and angry (about the character(s) and improper controls) =w= that's almost as good.
By the way, I started to write a first impression review before i completed the game - and it was rather harsh - but now, after i finished the game, my opinion is all different. In the end I liked this obscure game, however I would not recommend it to everyone.

Issues and Problems of the Game:
-changing the camera ankle /view (R2/L2) is very limited.
-long loading time at map changes
-not scary if you expect a survival horror game.

MY ratings in short (1 poor 10 best)
GRAPHICS.......7 (cinematic 10)
MUSIC..........9 (it's very good actually)
DESIGN.........8 (reminds me of silent hill)
CONCEPT/STORY..9 (very good)
GAMEPLAY.......2 (walking around is ok, the rest, forget it)
-----total score: 7 /10

Just wanted to share this information with you, cuz it made me happy... ^^
nyanyanya~!

Ancurio

• Tier 5
  • Current Mood: blank blank
Re: The PS2 game that reminds of "The Mirror Lied"
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:26:18 AM »
Aww, just when you got me interested in this I had to find out they banned it throughout Europe (wtf??)..
If I could just get my hands on the Japanese version- but then again I'd need a Jap. PS2 I think D=

The videos and reviews I saw on the Internet made me really curious. Thanks for your review (as I was mostly reading bad ones up til now)

Mela

• 憂鬱
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: tired tired
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:13:43 PM »
I haven't played this game, but a certain Let's Player played it and uploaded it on youtube, thus I watched "Rule of Rose" there. I also had problems to get the story, but thanks to a great blogger (who has been analysing this game for years) I don't have this prob anymore. XD

Mh, I still don't unsterstand why this game got banned in Europe. The reasons were pretty far fetched and exaggerated and somehow even ridiculous, IMO.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 01:59:23 AM »
Interesting game. I watched some footages/trailers of it on youtube; it seems to be pretty dark and creepy. Don't think I'll be able to play it due to the lack of PS2, though I may go find that Let's Play footage Berkeley was talking about.

I read that it's only banned in UK and not the rest of Europe, though, Aucurio?

P.S. Hey there, Koon!

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 05:55:01 PM »
I wonder if this game would be any less creepy after playing Deadspace
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

koon no kami

• Tier 4
  • ya rly!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:49:07 PM »
hey all =3

glad it caught your interest, too.  playing RoR kinda made me wanna play a TML II  XD altho there'll probably never be one T-T

*gg* and well as i tried to explain - for experienced survival horror game players this game isn't actually creepy ^^;
yet pedophobes (yay! latin for "person-who-is-scared-of-kids"* XD) may still be creeped out by the game =w=

i have also read the rumors about the game being banned here and there.  as far as i know it's banned in UK and because of that (silly controversy) wasn't released in any other european country... ; ) what an obscure rarity. never meant to be for mainstream i guess.
the conspiracy theories and ideas about that game's background story-threads are endless. =)

* (not to be confused with ped0phile "person-who-is-in-love-with-kids")
nyanyanya~!