Author Topic: A couple random songs  (Read 1697 times)

abigailian

• isn't creeped out by yellow wallpaper
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
A couple random songs
« on: March 01, 2010, 07:52:53 PM »
This was a funny little song, that I can't really properly say I composed. Rather, the computer analyzed a recording I had of me talking to someone, then 'transcribed' it into music, the approximate pitches and rhythms we were speaking. I imported this into Sibelius, which I then told to harmonize and make an accompaniment for the melody. The result is surprisingly pleasant. (Note, I took the 'melody' up two octaves).

http://www.box.net/shared/tl9159s5jf

And this is a piece written for solo baritone ukelele (I used a harp in the recording, because it's closest to what I'd like it to sound like.)

http://www.box.net/shared/8bgc1x8xof
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: A couple random songs
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:12:43 PM »
Wait, the chord progressions and stuff for the first one are also generated by the computer? Which program is this? D: That's really cool.

And nice, that second one is really peaceful sounding. I like it as a harp, it's fitting - I'm not really that familiar with baritone ukulele though. If you ever get a recording of that, feel free to drop it by.

Nice to see you're still going strong with music stuff!

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 03:34:11 PM »
It's just a feature that Sibelius has. It is really neat! I kind of got lucky with this one, I've tried a couple other songs doing the same thing, and it's just not the same effect. (I think it's because the guy's voice is usually at about an Ab, and I speak at about two C's above that, so it works pretty well in the key of Ab. Other people's voices might not match up very well.)

Baritone ukelele is just a ukelele that's tuned about an octave lower (it has four strings that are tuned the same as the highest four strings on a guitar. Actually you could play this on a nylon-string guitar for a fairly similar sound.) I probably won't ever have a recording of that.

I should hope I'm still going strong with the music stuff. It would be most disappointing to be studying music and not actually get to do anything with it.
This might hurt, it's not safe / But I know that I've gotta make a change / I don't care if I break,

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 04:23:33 PM »
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that you're music major now. :P For some reason I get you mixed up with being an English major.

And ah, cool. I wonder if Finale does that. . . Mm. Gonna look it up.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 02:59:11 PM »
Thought I'd note that I entered these into a school-wide composition competition, and Bedtime Story got second place. Which is ESPECIALLY exciting considering that I'm the youngest of the composers, and far the least trained (everyone else has had all their theory classes, and all but one of them have been in composition lessons for at least a year). So maybe I HAVE picked the right major. :)

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 03:37:20 PM »
I see why bedtime story did so well :D great job abi.

abigailian

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Oh emm SNAP!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 10:59:41 PM »
Epic swordsman won. ^^

So second place was perfect, especially since it meant I didn't have to make a speech.

It is kind of interesting, though, that the other pieces that got first and third place were much more, 'intellectual.' The third place one assigned pitches to each letter of the alphabet, and used morse code to determine a rhythm, so the singer was singing a text, denoting a different text with the pitches, and yet another message with the rhythm. (He actually had a composition recital today, and he writes some AMAZING stuff! I can't believe that someone judged one of my pieces to be of a higher quality than his. ^^)

The first piece... there was some story that went with it, that I actually didn't understand. But basically, it was also REALLY inventive. So I'm really honored to be in their company.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:07:59 PM by abigailian »

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 04:51:26 PM »
That intellectual one sounds pretty cool, but I'm not so sure it'd be really amazing to listen to (unless you are being amazed by just how awesome it is that they did that). Your bedtime story was well written, but it was simple enough that the melody sticks in our head.

As for the epic swordsman winning, that is very fitting :P Glad you were able to have the awesome experience that it must have been :D You deserve a pretzel.