Author Topic: To The Moon [New OST demo reel + SSs]  (Read 116208 times)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
To The Moon [New OST demo reel + SSs]
« on: February 27, 2010, 01:32:36 AM »
[Update (July 26 11): To the Moon's development activity has largely been refined to a thread in a private beta board rather than here, so the info found here are pretty scattered. I'll try to find a way to stream the news on developments soon!]

"To The Moon"
Genre: Science-Fiction / Drama / Romance / Psychological

Main Theme (WIP sample):
CLICK ME: Mp3

The premise of To The Moon is based around a technology that allows doctors to construct artificial permanent memories in the patients – such that a person can request attempts to alter their mind to wake up with memories of things that didn’t actually happen. The technology is mostly used to “fulfill” people’s life-long dreams, be it becoming a rock star or a millionaire or whatnot, when they did not succeed at achieving such things in their real lives.

However, since the artificial memories constructed are permanent, it sharply conflicts with the real memories soon after the person wakes up, and essentially corrupts the person’s mind to a degree that they would not be able to function properly anymore. Thus, the operation is only done to people on their deathbed, in their last moments, to fulfill what they wish they had done with their lives but didn’t.

The machine has one tricky limitation, however. How it works, is that it recreates interactive scenes of the patient’s life from their subconscious memory, and allows the doctor to step into it. They would then attempt to influence the person to make a different decision than they did – and if they succeed, a logical tangent of an alternate “future” (i.e. present) would be formulated with the help of the machine, and written into their permanent memory.

The story follows two of these doctors’ attempt to fulfill the dream of a dying elderly man. In their course to do so, they traverse backwards through the dying man’s memories, unfolding his life story before their eyes.

And his lifelong dream is, of course, to go to the moon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Rosalene and Dr. Watts

P.S. The awesome Laura Shigihara, singer/composer of Zombies on Your Lawn from Plants vs. Zombies, is also participating in To the Moon's original soundtrack with a song of her own. :)

Laura Shigihara - Everything's Alright (Original Song)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:07:38 AM by Reivesy »

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
Re: To The Moon
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 01:36:40 AM »
This is interesting. I like the physcology aspect of it too. :seraismile:

Berkeley

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 01:40:52 AM »
I'm looking forward to it. :)

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 05:11:39 AM »
I want to listen to The Last Moonrise... it was the BGM that for some weird reason tugged onto my heartstrings the most. XD

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 08:13:19 AM »
I am going to watch out for this one, and hopefully I can relate to it.

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 11:15:48 AM »
The main theme is AMAZING. ^^ I'm looking forward to it.
Though the basic idea kind of seems like a reverse of True Remembrance... that thing about messing around with people's memories and like that... But this seems a bit more optimistic than erasing unwanted memories. So even if it's going to be sad, I think I will like it. :D
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
yay! the thread is up! sounds pretty cool, reives. can't wait! (gonna listen to the main theme once my songs gets done ;))

EDIT: listening to the songs, sounds pretty epic. nice job, as usual.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:55:04 PM by Vasha »

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 09:06:39 PM »
I had the urge to cry (oddly enough) when listening to the song

But I held it back (:<

In all seriousness, the main theme is pretty cheerful and sad at the same time. A little bittersweet (?) I suppose.

But after listening to Okuu's, Yuyu-sama's, Marisa's, etc's themes over and over again, and having super intense songs thwrown at me, I can't say I like mellow songs as much anymore ._.
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Delphinus

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 09:28:02 PM »
 :pewpewpew: I hope it release not end of April (deadly school exam)

The main theme is great!!  :D :D (listen it on fullmoon, and perfectly fit)

Blood Angel Evengelion

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 06:29:29 AM »
This sounds like an interesting game! The whole thing based around the psychology of the mind...sounds exciting!

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 03:22:59 PM »
This is exactly the kind of game I had hoped for. Something extraordinary yet simple.
The basic storyline sounds pretty interesting and has lots of potential and the idea of fulfilling a dying person's last wish is really moving – scenes and stories like that belong to the kind of stories that usually touch/move me the most. The idea of an old man wanting to fly to the moon is so simple and yet inspiring and because of its simplicity affecting.

I like the music. I recognize your personal style, of course, but it is different from the pieces you wrote for the other games. Can't wait to hear it in-game.  :reivsmile:

The story reminds me a little of True Remembrance, although it is quite the contrary, because in True Remembrance the topic is to erase memories to help persons to overcome their bad pasts. And it reminds me of a movie named "Patch Adams" that is about a doctor who thinks the best medicine is to make people smile and it is even more necessary when the people are going to die in a short time (that also includes fulfilling last wishes).

The screenshot looks pretty neat. Quite atmospheric and exhilarantly different from the standard RTP in an "advanced" way, but the atmosphere of the RTP is still there, so it is not completely different.

By the way, Kan, do you indend to make a game or rather a mini-movie like Do You Remember My Lullaby?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 03:25:37 PM by Squall »

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 09:36:37 PM »
This sounds really interesting. I lost most of my memory at the age of 7, so stories dealing with memories as a central theme really interest me. Can't wait to see it :D

Xinea

• Tier 2
  • ridiculi.
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 11:02:35 PM »
This is me being completely jealous/in awe of your story telling and music composing abilities.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 02:17:29 AM »
Thanks for the support everyone, it means a lot. c': I'll try to make this the best it can be.

The main theme will have many variations, including one with lyrics/vocals that will be played at the end credit (the one posted in the first post is actually the WIP accompaniment of that).

I  haven't played True Remembrance, but from what I'm hearing it seems to be quite similar to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which is about removing memories of people from their lives - and I think it did have influence on the story's conception.

As for game vs. mini-movie, while I think I prefer the latter, I'll have to make this a game because I am also submitting it as the final project to a game design course I'm taking this semester. c:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:26:09 PM by Reives »

Candide

• Tier 6
  • I'm the bomb. Like tick, tick.
    • tumblah
  • Current Mood: cool cool
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 09:16:47 AM »
Just reading that summary makes me feel like crying. D: