Author Topic: Advice on starting a project?  (Read 1701 times)

Valtier

• Tier 5
  • Apathy taken to an artform
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
Advice on starting a project?
« on: February 20, 2008, 01:57:44 AM »
Seeing as Q-TBV is a fairly successful project, it made sense to ask here.  How exactly do you begin an RM project?  I'm considering purchasing RMVX if it makes sense to, but it seems like a waste if I don't even know how to go about creating a game.  I can create events just fine and whatnot, but don't know any RUBY (is it vital to know RUBY to create a quality game?).  Due to lack of an artist, I am using spritemaker and facemaker to create the characters' faces and sprites.  Plotwise, I have the majority of the game laid out just fine.  Any tips on where to start would be much appreciated, thanks!

Legacyblade

• 発行所は頑張って下さい!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: playful playful
Re: Advice on starting a project?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 06:08:54 PM »
I think the thing you need to do first is get the story planned. You don't need the script writen, but particularly in a game, you need it at least planned. Once you plan it, start working on the graphics, or ask spriters for help. and finally, (once you've gotten some progress on your first chapter, enough for screenies) start a team.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:14:05 PM »
For me, I started with the pre-established goal to make Quintessence specifically instead of a RPG, so fortunately I had the story and whatnot all set. I will give you one thing though; the first thing(s) you make will need to be scrapped/heavily edited at some later date in order to match your experience after a few months of using RMXP. I "started" Quintessence the day after I found RMXP, and restarted it in its whole after about 4 months (or so?). Scrapping it was one of the best decisions I've made. D:

So if you want, I suggest starting with a placeholder project, unless you don't mind restarting something over.

You don't really have to know RGSS at all, but it sure helps and especially with more advanced systems if you want to make it yourself (event's a lot more messy for long codings). Besides, you can simply use the ones others use. Quintessence's battle system, for example, is entirely evented. But I wish I had done it in RGSS, because it'd be cleaner - but it's up and running anyhow for now. 

Valtier

• Tier 5
  • Apathy taken to an artform
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:08:43 PM »
Thanks all, don't think I'll learn RGSS in that case.  The battle system so far is just a very gimmicky do-over of the normal RMXP battle system.  I'll have to see what they change in RMVX...

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:04:31 AM »
The reason why I haven't seriously started any projects to this date is because I have been too lazy to work on a story and its characters.  To me, if that is not done first, then I can't just go on.  Those are the two most important aspects for me.

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]