Author Topic: The New Horrible Flu, H1N1, and such  (Read 6556 times)

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
The New Horrible Flu, H1N1, and such
« on: November 17, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »
In Hungary (as one of our journalists said), we are the Country Of Saying No To Everything. People here are stubborn, and they usually believe everything they read on the Internet (which is, of course, not always a fair source of information), and lots of them (even doctors!) absolutely refuse to have the vaccine against the new influenza virus. My mother, who is also a doctor herself, is on the opinion that the vaccines can do no harm, and people should hear themselves when they believe e.g. that there is a microchip in the vaccine. Seriously, this is getting ridiculous.

So what do you think? What do people in your countries think about it all? Is it such a big deal? Should or shouldn't we vaccinate ourselves?
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Re: The New Horrible Flu, H1N1, and such
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 02:30:57 PM »
Well if we extract that H1N1 problem what left remind me a theory, when Area 51 is a stop in global undertrain network or a secret planetary goverment HQ... ::)
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 02:48:22 PM »
In Germany there is a lot of discussion about this matter.
Some politcals did an idiotic deal, they ordered another type of vaccine for them and the army as for the rest of Germany.  Even if it's not better than the other one, this was just stupid and created a fuss about this.

Also there are a lot of experts and doctors with opposing opinion regarding this vaccine, so the German are quite sceptical about it. Understandable, I think.
But with the increasing infection rate in Germany there are a lot of people taking the vaccine now.
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 02:54:16 PM »
Yeah. I belive to my own defend system better then some syntetical stuff (despire to my love for Hi-Tech)

Ronnie

• Tier 7
    • my personal blog
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 02:57:30 PM »
Yes, but in my opinion there's more to believing now. I'm quite healthy (only I often get tired, but healthy anyways), and yet I do think this flu could do bad to me. It's not a matter of confidence. The bad thing is that people actually think that the side-effects of the vaccine (which aren't proved to exist at all) are worse than the flu itself! Now that's what I call blindness.
And it's kinda sad, because one of my good friends really said that she believes more in her own strength than the vaccine, and I couldn't argue with her because she got angry.. and, then, what if something happens to her? Kinda frightening.
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
At the moment the virus isn't worse than a normal flu, at least in Europe. It's just that the media reports every death with "OMFG another victim of H1N1!!".
Side-effects surely exists, like almost any other medicine. Of course it isn't that bad as some people call it.

Btw: If you think something the vaccine is bad for you, then you will feel sick after taking it.
So if it isn't a real killer virus, you shouldn't force anyone to take it.

Someone in a group of medizine testers tried to commit suicid taking an overdose of medicine, but he took placebo pills.
Guess what? He nearly died from that.
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 04:05:18 PM »
^Psychological efect of cures... With enught of fathe you can kill yourself with glass of orange juice... ::)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 04:08:10 PM »
Yeah, psychological factors do have profound effect on people. Personally, I haven't looked too much into it myself, but I'll probably end up taking the vaccine. I've already gotten sick twice since school started, and another one's just unacceptable. The media does blow everything out of proportion nowadays, from the effect of the flu itself to the controversy over its vaccine. In the end, it's just an inconvenient sickness and its vaccine that aren't that different from the things we're already used to.

Amaranth

• I'm back and better than ever!
  • Tier 7
  • Kinda lost.
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 04:09:46 PM »
There's a lot of controversy here in the States about this vaccine and about vaccines in general . . . many people believe there is a link between certain vaccines and afflictions like autism. Most studies say there's no connection, but I honestly don't know what to think. I don't blame people for being concerned in this way (a young woman recently got a flu shot and now has trouble eating, speaking and can only walk backwards---there should be an article or a video about it somewhere*), but the notion of microchips in the vaccine is ridiculous.

Unless something horrible happens that will prove otherwise, I believe vaccines are safe for most people and will continue receiving them when necessary.

@Ronnie: I wouldn't worry too much as long as your friend is healthy. If she's against getting vaccinated, there's really not much you can do. Does she have a strong constitution?

(*Doctors aren't sure what happened to her . . . they think something in the vaccine might have triggered a dormant, pre-existing medical condition.)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:13:41 PM by Amaranth »
Check out the Letter--->Word Abbreviation thread for some fun!

Examples of my skills:

Hallelujah! A xylophone orgasmed recently.

Actually, geriatric gigolos can still have dalliances.

A really muscular, super-tough, reliable older nutty guy.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
In the end, it's just an inconvenient sickness and its vaccine that aren't that different from the things we're already used to.

Still the at least 90% of money from it is pure profit for private sector. By another words: They're just making more money on most of it. ::)
Like here: "Take our assurance and we'll take you a vaccine for free" ::)

Ronnie

• Tier 7
    • my personal blog
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 04:19:32 PM »
I'm not overreacting. She's usually healthy, I'm not too worried, just average.

Actually I find it kinda lame, that governments try to make money out of people's worries. Way too disgusting. But there's nothing we can do, is there? :S

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 04:22:36 PM »
I'm not overreacting. She's usually healthy, I'm not too worried, just average.

Actually I find it kinda lame, that governments try to make money out of people's worries. Way too disgusting. But there's nothing we can do, is there? :S

Well onlz way is global takeover, but after few years it would be same as before so no help here... ::)

Berkeley

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 04:25:30 PM »
Normally, panicmongering regarding certain topics doesn't affect me at all, but this time, I'm not sure why, the fear to get sick or to die in the end is bigger than usually...I don't know what to think...I can't even speak about it properly, because I'm confused and skeptic at the same time. Well, and don't trusting/not having faith in the governemnt doesn't help either. :-\

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 04:45:01 PM »
Here in Canada, we get universal healthcare so we don't really have to pay to get the vaccine - the government pays it. o:

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 04:50:08 PM »
^So let the Queen and gov. take care about it? o.O Lucky you guys. (-_-)