Author Topic: Watermark  (Read 1076 times)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
Watermark
« on: November 06, 2009, 08:53:35 AM »
Why do people use the built-in watermark feature on Deviant-art?

No, seriously.

Do they just not realize that selecting that little check box puts a huge watermark smack in the middle of the full-size image and obscures a substantial part of it? I get that there's the whole situation with artists being preemptively butt-hurt over the possibility of someone taking their creation and posting it elsewhere, but there's more efficient ways to mark your creations that doesn't involve totally ruining the image and making it basically unviewable to ANYONE. Furthermore, the semi-transparent font Deviant-art automatically uses for your gallery link is often near-indecipherable, so the watermark is pointless anyway. It's just a giant generic Deviantart ad.

sup widdat?

Ruzu

• Tier 7
  • I'm stalking youuuuzzz
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Watermark
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 04:54:11 PM »
Actually that has annoyed me recently also, if they want just make a big black circle with their name in it and put it in the bottom right hand corner, and doesn't have to be their real name. Like I could put 'Ruzu C Creation' to show that its mine.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 07:44:31 PM »
I think it has a lot to do with selling prints instead of the possibility of people posting it somewhere (in which case they can best counter it by posting their own website url or whatnot on it - then they should encourage it being posted everywhere). When it doesn't have an annoy watermark on it, people can just save the pic and go to the store for a cheap print of it, where as now they have to buy the mark-free print directly from DeviantArt/them. o:

But yeah, I miss the good ol' days when they didn't exist. c:

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 10:10:13 PM »
i haven't been to busy on DA at all, but i've never noticed the watermarks. i'm sure a big thing about it also is that if you just put a small symbol with your name in the corner or something, it's easily editible

Mini_Reives

• Tier 2
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 01:49:08 AM »
The watermarks... I'll tell you. I hate it when other people use 'em, but love it when I use 'em. :D