Author Topic: Qin Shi Huangdi's "Massacre"  (Read 4031 times)

Dovydas

• Tier 3
  • The dragon lives on...
    • Toa's Union Gaming
Qin Shi Huangdi's "Massacre"
« on: November 15, 2009, 12:06:46 PM »
It was alleged in history that Qin Shi Huangdi, the first Chinese emperor, buried 300 philosophers and scholars who he feared would rise against him alive.
Do you believe this accusation? I do not. Why? First, the earliest recording of such an act is 300 years later, by Sima Qian, the Grand Historian of the Han Dynasty, who were AGAINST the Qin Dynasty. Second, Qin Shi Huangdi was widely disliked by Confucians (Sima Qian was a Confucian) due to him burning their classical texts to make people forget the past. Third, he might just as well have slayed all of those scholars with a few sharp blades and strong arms rather than burying all of them alive. The Qin had more than enough of those.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 12:19:19 PM by Dovydas »

Thunderbird

• 雷の鳥
  • Tier 7
  • Flame Haze
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Qin Shi Huangdi's "Massacre"
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 04:58:34 PM »
I believe a lot of history context is made up in some way, different points of view and lies are just too human.

Just give mankind the hero's to adore, the evil to blame.
Even if it's the wrong guy adored or blamed as long as the lessons to be learned are good it's alright. Chances are high he/she will not care anymore or just can't.

Of course truth is something worthwile, but in that case it wouldn't be fatal to be wrong.
Let the last Judgement handle about negatives consequences in afterlive ^^

There are so much serious conflicts about some things decades ago, that's what I dislike.

About the matter itself:
Records 300 years later are always unreliable sources.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:03:29 PM by Thunderbird »
Even if you are nothing more than a drop in a bucket...
Every drop leaves ripples.

Dovydas

• Tier 3
  • The dragon lives on...
    • Toa's Union Gaming
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 01:40:28 PM »
I don't agree with lies in history.
What made me turn my attention to this matter was the sentence "the alleged burial of 300 philosophers and scholars who would disagree with him". ALLEGED.
Qin Shi Huangdi united China and created a nation out of the petty rivalling kingdoms. He should be respected and not blamed for things that can be hardly true.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:58:29 PM »
I'm not knowledgeable enough on the matter to make any specific constructive points, but I think those kinds of incident and the deed of uniting the deed are mutually exclusive. In fact, in those days, it probably demands a lot of brute force to unite the rivaling kingdoms.

I wouldn't say that the incident can be hardly true, since in the era, brutality that goes far beyond our standards today occur frequently, whether it be in China or in the path of Christianity. But of course, the incident's far from having a reliable and provable source.

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 06:45:35 PM »
I don't remember much about this, but I (and my brother) do believe some bias may be involved.
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 02:26:42 AM »
Not only he slaughtered the literates for opposing the destruction of the ancient texts, but he also exiled the heir to the throne because he criticized his father's decision. The First Emperor pretty much killed his dynasty with his own hands. Though I never heard that he buried them alive. That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, though. >..>

Still, what he did still lives after more than 2000 years. He created a mighty civilization, an undying empire that has endured the trials of the millennium.