Author Topic: Storyline writing, your thoughts?  (Read 2964 times)

Silek

• Tier 3
Storyline writing, your thoughts?
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:47:23 PM »
So I gotta ask, for those of you who enjoy writing, how do you get ideas which you then formulate into concrete parts of your story? Be it for a game or a little "book".

And when coming up with a storyline for a story or game, do you prefer to sort of.. improvise and just come up with stuff as you make it, and when completed, you look back for any contradictions on the story and other possible errors? Or do you try to perfect it all on paper before actually writing about it?

I'm more of an improviser, and that's causing a bit of trouble when trying to write a story for a game of mine, but I find myself scrapping it and just constantly rewriting it.

What about you folks?

(And, if anyone has any suggestions for me, when it comes to my current problem, any possible help would be appreciated :P)

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
  • Current Mood: happy happy
Re: Storyline writing, your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:01:17 PM »
I think some sort of a plan beforehand is great for more sophisticated plots. For example, detective novel plots all have clues that pieces together and comes to a big twist - they are usually "written" (the ideas at least) backward. That doesn't only apply to detective stories, but twists in general. It's often easier to sort things out to know how you want the general big twist to be beforehand, and then go back and work toward that.

Personally, I usually just have a general plot and a few twists here and there planned out, and then fill in more details as I go. Smaller details are easy to fill, but the skeleton should probably be there to start with. :)

P.S. I have a little nubby plot writing tutorial that's quite lengthy lying around, this reminds me to post it in the near future. :>

menti

• Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 5
  • Ça plane pour moi
Re: Storyline writing, your thoughts?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 05:56:22 AM »
I usually improvise like you Silek, and usually end up with a half-finished story. But I've decided on this one I am going to write out a plan so that it actually does have an ending in case I find it under my bed in 5 years and feel inspired. Basically I'm just writing the story, but in a much more simple form: Not much dialouge and hardly any description at all.