Author Topic: Social networking features: MySpace/Facebook/Twitter -like profiles and such?  (Read 3848 times)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
I want to know your opinion on this, guys.

Would you enjoy having your own customizable profiles here on Freebird Games?  That would include fully featured profiles with various areas which content you can edit, also with a comments area, similar to MySpace; maybe even status updates like in Twitter and Jaiku, and who knows what else we can fit in.

This is very possible right now, and I'm willing to give it a try if you guys agree.

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
Mmmm I don't belive those My Space, Facebook etc things, but here it could be fun. Count me in. ^^
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
It's all about giving you the chance to have personalized profiles.  You can add pictures and videos, leave comments to your friends, and I believe, even change the layout a bit, to make it more personal.  :)  If you'd like that, let me know.

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
  • Current Mood: happy happy
I like that idea, but since I have a Facebook, and given my personality, I would find it weird for me to have two social networking (or at least one similar-to one) places, and one might end up being neglected since I'd spend fifty million days on one >_<
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
http://dev.turanjanin.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1

^ An example of how the profile could look like.

A description of the features:
- About Me, Interests & Media box
 - Organizable buddy list
 - Approval of buddies
 - Profile pictures
 - Profile comments
 - Picture comments
 - Customizable look & feel

This modification will allow your users to customize their profiles just like they can on other social networks like MySpace, Facebook, Tagged... It is a great addition for building community around your SMF forum.

Users can choose whether they want to have this customized profile or just plain, ordinary one. They can enter About me & My Interests texts which can be formatted using BB code. Also, they can input HTML & CSS code in special text area and customize look of their profile. They can add background picture, change font, size and color of text as well as other elements.

This modification also allows them to upload their own pictures which are then showed in their profile and can be organized in albums. Other users can post comments on someones profile or pictures.

Administrators can choose whether they want to enable pictures and customization of profiles. Also, they can turn on ultimate profiles for all forum users.

Users can disable comments for their profiles or restrict new comments only to their buddies. Pictures can be shown to all users or only to buddies.

ミポン: Your Facebook profile is your Facebook profile.  :)  Because this is a close-knit community, you won't necessarily have the same content in your profile as you do here.  Plus, you can do with it what you want, and you obviously might have less to do in it than you do at Facebook.  They are still different.  I myself have way too many social networking profiles, and none share the exact same content.  :)  What you choose to do with your own profile is up to you, and that is one of the advantages of social networking: it makes the web more personal.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:00:46 PM by Arwym »

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
ACtually, that description looks pretty nice ;D Go for it, Arwym
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
As I said before. Count me in ^^
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
Wow, seeing those cool things Arwym has made to the forum and will do to the forum just made me feel so noobish.  :'( Though I am still 16 years old.

I really like your idea, Arwym. Seems like FBG is becoming better and better! :D

(edit: lol, forget what I said about being noobish - I just realized that its just going to your ftp and uploading those in the file manager! XD )

Ruben

• ~True Remembrance~
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • :)
Personally, I would fancy user profiles such as described above.
They would make it easier to communicate person-to-person without using private messages.
Normally I don't like that forums these days become more and more similar to social networks, but in this case mostly because this is a small forum with a small community I think a change would be positive.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
Wow, seeing those cool things Arwym has made to the forum and will do to the forum just made me feel so noobish.  :'( Though I am still 16 years old.

I really like your idea, Arwym. Seems like FBG is becoming better and better! :D

(edit: lol, forget what I said about being noobish - I just realized that its just going to your ftp and uploading those in the file manager! XD )

Yes, at this time I am still learning the ways of SMF (our forum system).  There's a long way to go before I can develop full-fledged modifications to it all by myself and from scratch.
But I've made small changes to some of our features myself, so not everything consists of only uploading files.  :)

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
I'm up for it! :seraismile:

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
I think it's really cool, especially how you can post comments on people's profiles. o: It doesn't have to be used anywhere close to the extent of facebook or whatnot, but it'd definitely be a fun addition.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
Definitely.  And always remember, you can use the old profile if you want.  You are not forced to use this one.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
I think this is a pretty cool idea. Let's try it out! :vikonsmile:

Moony

• 満月がとても美しいですね。
  • Tier 7
    • Website