Author Topic: Violence in the Media/Video Games  (Read 7992 times)

Rayen

• is on an emotional roller-coaster.
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Forum Semi-Lurker
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
Violence in the Media/Video Games
« on: October 06, 2009, 02:37:29 AM »
This is a rather controversial topic. I'm sure that most - if not all - of us have seen something on TV or in a movie, or played at least 1 video game that contained violent content. (Teenage males, especially.) My question to all of you is: Do you think that violent content in the media causes a person become violent themselves?

-----
That smile you see upon my face? That's nothing more than just a mask.

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
Re: Violence in the Media/Video Games
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 07:12:31 AM »
This very issue is one thing why there are some general warnings such as "Do not try this at home.", "PG-13", etc. Some games like these are the GTA series, etc which uses Guns, Goons and Gold.

my thoughts in a nutshell: violent images may bring out violence in someone who has a predisposition to violence, just like stress brings out mental illness with those having a predisposition to it.

just because A comes before B does not mean A caused B, its a logical fallacy.

I play moderately violent video games, rated M, not of the "Im going to go kill some pimps and hookers, then blow off a cops head" variety. but while i play games about fighting, i have no urge to chop up animals or dismember people, in fact: id rather cuddle.

It's called "Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

The assumption that violent videogames or movies desensitize you to violence has only been substantiated by one study. In this study, there were two groups.

1. Exposed to violent movies and video games, then shown a clip of live, brutal beatings. Heart rate did not increase.

2. Exposed to typical, everyday life movies and puzzle games, then shown the same clip. Heart rate increased.

The problem with this study is that they were shown movies/clips in both instances.

Watching violent movies desensitizes you to violent movies, not necessarily violence in general. Most of the time, we get desensitized because we *tell* ourselves it is just a movie.

Bobo Doll Experiment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobo_doll_experiment

Rayen

• is on an emotional roller-coaster.
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Forum Semi-Lurker
  • Current Mood: unmotivated unmotivated
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
I agree on your stance, and you make interesting points. My reasons, are slightly different, however.

First, as you've lightly touched upon, there's hardly any evidence that proves that violent media causes a person to become violent or agressive. You'll see studies that do show a correlation, and you'll see studies that don't. The results are very mixed. In quite a number of studies, there's even evidence that overall violence has been declining.

Secondly, I honestly believe that violence is learned through more direct forms. For example, which would you say is more influential: being in an environment where you see with your own eyes heartless brutality (or even experience it yourself), or watching some action movie where the good and bad guys are duking it out and shooting half a dozen holes in each other?

Thirdly, I think it really depends on the person's mental stability and/or how well defined their line between fantasy and reality is. Younger kids don't know any better: they'll be watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and see one of the turtles kicking bad-guy butt and think to themselves "Oh, hey. That looks cool!" and end up re-enacting the scene with one of their playmates. Likewise with other hero/superhero shows. They don't realize that could seriously harm someone because they barely know the difference between fantasy and reality. I imagine it to be similar for someone who is mentally unstable as well. Someone that's stable and really knows the difference between the two wouldn't go out shooting and mercilessly kill people, even if they see or do it in shooting games.

-----
That smile you see upon my face? That's nothing more than just a mask.

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
  • Ignore the Hats! I don't have a problem!
    • Cupcakes So Sweet and Tasty~
  • Current Mood: playful playful
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 06:38:36 PM »
I believe that people who have a mental disablities that watch violence are prone to it. That's what happened at the Columbine Shootings. They were messed up and "Doom", the game that they played, was fuel to the fire.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
  • Commodore of Freebirdia Orbital Defense Fleet
  • Current Mood: perverse perverse
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 01:22:35 AM »
This is a rather controversial topic. I'm sure that most - if not all - of us have seen something on TV or in a movie, or played at least 1 video game that contained violent content. (Teenage males, especially.) My question to all of you is: Do you think that violent content in the media causes a person become violent themselves?

This is sad... I gerw up on DOS games (I played also Wolfenstaind or Duke Nukem) BUT more than that I played Wacky Wheels...
But today the parents calmly buy theyr 10 years old son a GTA... That's more violent then Duke N or Wolfenstain... They should more play games like AoE or something like that, but that did't cause so many "adventure"...
"God, it's so hard to be a smartass nowadays." Dr. Neil Watts (To the Moon)

mepwnn

• いつまでも
  • Tier 7
  • profile picture courtesy of Silentgears
  • Current Mood: happy happy
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 01:32:09 AM »
this was something I thought about posting a while ago, but I couldn't get it out properly. I think that this problem arose from a select few people, but mostly from over reactive parents that make a stereotype that says all kids will be affected by violent video games. I, like Lance, have grown up with plenty of violent games, mainly fantasy ones at first like Legend of Zelda, but it turned into Call of Duty, GTA, and plenty others. Because of my normally violent nature, it was normal for people to think I was affected.note that I try to avoid this board since I tend to get bad responses or make myself look stupid
I would be lying if I said I wasn't changed by the games, I was a little. However, I am mentally stable, I hope at least, enough to tell that what happens in a game/movie doesn't happen in real life all the time.
Portals... must capture... ALL the portals... (click image to enlarge)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 07:08:47 AM »
this was something I thought about posting a while ago, but I couldn't get it out properly. I think that this problem arose from a select few people, but mostly from over reactive parents that make a stereotype that says all kids will be affected by violent video games. I, like Lance, have grown up with plenty of violent games, mainly fantasy ones at first like Legend of Zelda, but it turned into Call of Duty, GTA, and plenty others. Because of my normally violent nature, it was normal for people to think I was affected.note that I try to avoid this board since I tend to get bad responses or make myself look stupid
I would be lying if I said I wasn't changed by the games, I was a little. However, I am mentally stable, I hope at least, enough to tell that what happens in a game/movie doesn't happen in real life all the time.

Yeah. I separeted that too and I'm concider as a ''crazy man'' but beacause I talk too much. These games didn't chaged me as much as those who can't separate fiction from reality.

But they're still many ppls what can't do that. Thats a sad part :(

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 10:47:44 PM »
It depends on your character. I am someone who has less common sense than the average human being (I'm speaking the truth here. I really lack the ability to tell the seriousness of a situation, and thus hurt people easily, and for reasons I can't tell). If you do not have common sense, it is easy for violence to get to you, since you can just watch it and think, "Oh, since they do that, it can't be that serious."

It's sort of dangerous.

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 01:21:37 AM »
It depends on your character. I am someone who has less common sense than the average human being (I'm speaking the truth here. I really lack the ability to tell the seriousness of a situation, and thus hurt people easily, and for reasons I can't tell). If you do not have common sense, it is easy for violence to get to you, since you can just watch it and think, "Oh, since they do that, it can't be that serious."

It's sort of dangerous.

This is where you should watch your actions and monitor your temper, 'Kay? :seraismile:

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 06:50:02 AM »
I think it only has to do with each other when you're young. I mean, parents should look after what they little kids watch or play with. But if you're grown up (and, well, yes, if you have common sense - sorry Kirro), you should be able to tell apart games/movies and real life. And you can even use these things to your own good. I mean, these films and games are made on a purpose, and I doubt game-maker companies would actually want to make people violent, ne? For example, I used to play GTA while I had it (yeah, despite I'm a girl), and it was actually good for reducing stress... because I go on the road and do stupid things in the game like going around with the tank and crashing cars and burning them xD and thus I avoid being irritative and shouting with my family members (which I tend to do when I'm stressed otherwise). And I like to watch CSI - because I'm very much into psychiatry, and that's a kind of experience. I just have to make it clear to myself that it doesn't have to happen in real life, and my purpose isn't to act like that. And since I'm old enough for that, it's all OK.
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 08:36:08 AM »
^Hehe. For that stres relive I have a PS simulator with TEKKEN and coin automat games like Metal Slug ;)

Valtier

• Tier 5
  • Apathy taken to an artform
  • Current Mood: depressed depressed
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 02:23:24 PM »
The only ones who can, or should, make that decision are the parents.  If you're old enough to buy the game yourself, however, you're probably old enough to tell the difference between game and reality.

Just Lance

• 狼と冒険家
  • Tier 7
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 02:39:19 PM »
The only ones who can, or should, make that decision are the parents.  If you're old enough to buy the game yourself, however, you're probably old enough to tell the difference between game and reality.

That probably have a priority.

Ronnie

• Tier 7
  • we live in a beautiful world.
    • my personal blog
  • Current Mood: creative creative
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 03:42:26 PM »
This is almost the same to what I said - so I agree. ^^
"They say that New York is the City That Never Sleeps. I think the people who say that have never been to Tokyo. Tokyo is the City That Never Even Blinks." (Pianissimo Butterfly) ~ click it, if you like Gravitation, you'll love this.

"Nosza, fogadd bilincseinket, kötözd be fájó szívverésed..." (József Attila)

Raxus

• とてもかっこいいですよ!
  • Mod-Suspect
  • Tier 7
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 07:10:43 PM »
What about violence in IPods? Did you see the IGun? :o