Author Topic: Importance of Guiness World Records  (Read 3923 times)

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Current Mood: happy happy
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
Importance of Guiness World Records
« on: September 20, 2009, 11:19:42 AM »
Guinness World Records, known until 2000 as The Guinness Book of Records (and in previous U.S. editions as The Guinness Book of World Records), is a reference book published annually, containing an internationally recognized  collection of world records, both human achievements and the extremes of the natural world. The book itself holds a world record, as the best-selling copyrighted series of all-time.It is one of the most stolen books from public libraries in the United States.
(Source: Wikipedia

I have observed that many of my fellow countrymen do love to compete against others to be able to break the record in the Guinness Book of World Records. Every February 14th, or anytime around February, many couples - may they be married, engaged, or simply boyfriends-girlfriends gather at the promenade near the Manila Bay, and the vast number of couples who kiss are being counted, thus becoming the first to make the record.

I have a feeling that many have been wasting a lot just for this. People who try to break the record sometimes waste money, waste time, waste energy, or even at the risk of their lives. This made me think: Besides for fun and entertainment, what good does the GBWR bring to the society? Does it help in economic growth and prosperity? How about peace and order situations?

Kirroha

• 僕はとてもきれいな人だよ!
  • Tier 7
  • ... or so I heard.
  • Current Mood: cheerful cheerful
Re: Importance of Guiness World Records
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:41:24 AM »
Well, I have to say that is indeed true. Being on the website once, I saw "The greatest number of terrorist bombings in a single city in one week". Below it, a button that says "Break this record."

FailBlog.org has thus posted this picture on their website to mock them, only to receive an angry letter of complaint from the organizers, saying that it will ruin their reputation.

Stardale

• Freebird Linguist-Actor
  • Tier 7
    • Blog
  • Discord ID: senseigab#6268
  • Twitter: senseigab
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 08:47:51 AM »
Ricky Gervais said it pretty much here. It's buried in there, but it's not on youtube or anything.

*sigh*
Some people like to be recognized, even if it's for something as frivolous as eating a hundred M&M's at a time. I say let them have their fun and have the occasional look at the books for a laugh or two.

Vasha

• 小説家
  • Tier 7
  • Relentlessly Gay
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Mood: blank blank
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:03:05 PM »
It really has no point, but truthfully, what's the point of a lot of stuff that people do for fun? It's just a time waster, really. But there's nothing wrong with that, as long as it isn't taken to the extreme.

Reives

• Dr Platplat
  • Director
  • Tier 7
    • Freebird Games
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 09:08:01 PM »
@Kirro:
Are you sure that was not a mocking image someone at places like FailBlog.org made?

I agree that it's just for fun and entertainment, as I think most who participate in those things do. But I don't see a problem with it as long as it's not viciously harmful to any third parties.

Mountain climbing is full of danger and adds nothing significant to better the worlds via bringing peace and prosperity per se either, but I don't imagine people would have anything against that, along with countless other things of that nature.