Author Topic: PHPBB2 and spam.  (Read 3169 times)

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
PHPBB2 and spam.
« on: August 13, 2007, 10:53:42 PM »
One reason for which I never use PHPBB2 for any forums that I run is because of how easy it is to get past the validation systems and all that stuff... that is, by the spam bots.  Well, it's finally started happening.  Just take a look at that new thread... so disgusting.  I assume that you have MySQL and FTP access to your host, so I highly suggest that you move the forums over to a better and more secure forum software.  My personal preference is SMF (simplemachines.org).  I have never had problems with it, and it's very easy to understand and use.  There are easy ways of moving PHPBB2 forums over to SMF without having to lose all the posts.  Check the downloads section if you decide to follow my advice.

You could also try PHPBB3 if PHPBB is what you like, but it's not very stable right now.  Seriously, the best forum software I've found so far, of the free ones, is SMF.  Many people just don't believe me, because they see so many PHPBB2 forums on the web, and that makes them think it's the best.  Popularity doesn't guarantee quality, though.

Another choice would be to edit the registration part of the forum's script and add your own text validation system.  They can't detect it because it's your own, so this should solve the problem.  Do something like "Type 'Quintessence' in the text box if you can read this.

Well, I hope I can help...  Good luck with the horrible spam.

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]

Freebird Games

• Administrator
  • Tier 7
  • Reives is my servant.
    • Freebird Games {Quintessence - TBV, The Mirror Lied, Do You Remember My Lullaby}
PHPBB2 and spam.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 01:15:10 PM »
Ah, thank you for the recommendation. I just installed SMF on the domain and am figuring it out at the moment. When I first installed the PHPBB2 I did not have much in mind, because it's pretty much the first forum I've made, and had no idea.

I will take the SMF advice. Much thanks for the pointer!

Edit: Wow, why did I not do this sooner... Everything seems so much more clear with SMF! Only thing is trying to figure out how to use the converter now.

Arwym (آرویم)

• Keeper of the Fantasy
  • Forum Technician
  • Tier 7
  • Current Mood: creative creative
  • Discord ID: Arwym#6091
  • Twitter: arwym
Re: PHPBB2 and spam.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 01:48:42 PM »
I am glad it works!  Now all it needs is a custom theme and it will look great. :)  But that can wait, right? :D

[Please do not PM me for forum support, unless it is a private matter.]